Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well gang, low beam on my SDH burnt out last night on the way home,but I didn't know it til I tried to go to high beam,only to discover that the high beam was already on even though the switch was still on the low beam setting and the high beam indicator was off.[no wonder on coming cars were flashing their lights at me,lol ] So obviously,atleast on the Springfield models,since high beam comes on automatically if low beam goes out, I suspect just the opposite will happen if the high beam burns out.[Neither,the SM ,or the OM,are very clear on this]

And then,both the OM and SM state,the headlight high beam indicator is supposed to flash if there is a problem with the headlight,but it did NOT.And then ,after scrolling thru my instrument panel,there was a reference message on the instrument cluster saying "CHECK ENGINE" yet didn't have any reference code.But after changing the bulb,that check engine message disappeared. DUH!!! lol

Anyways,to change the bulb on these models,ya simply have to remove the FOUR Philips head screws in the ring that secures the headlight to the bucket that holds it in place in the Nacel. [So ya need a #1 Phillips head screw driver] Do NOT try this with a #2 Phillips head screw driver cause you'll only destroy the heads and THEN you'll really have a problem.

BTW: The whole job took me less then 10 minutes to do once I figured everything out.

Hope this info will help some one out. Dummy Dave!!!

·
Bronze member
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's alittle update regarding the 9003 bulb [verses the factory 9004 bulb] I just installed this past Saturday.While out tonight,which was the first time I've driven it at night since changing it,I discovered that this new bulb not only lights up the road better in front of me,but when on high beam at night,it lights up the road five telephone poles ahead of me like it was day time or approximately 500 feet.I used this bulb in my Triumph,but that bike only had a 5 inch head light verses Indians' 7 inch headlight.So all I can say is "WOW",WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a 2007 Springfield That i have been riding since July of 2017 with a little over 11k miles. I have been thinking that I might have to replace the low beam bulb sometime soon. This is helpful info to file away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts