Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Vintage. I've searched but can't find same issue. It's happened twice that starting the bike after a brief stop suddenly the blue headlight indicator flashes and all front lights are out except turn signals and bonnet. First time I replaced the headlamp bulb but that wasnt the problem. After removing the seat and disconnecting, reconnecting the harnesses from the main module lights came back on. Corroded contact I wondered? Is this a known issue? I called dealer and they said not aware of a problem and a 4 week wait to get in to diagnose.
Any thoughts or point to the right forum where the answer may be.
Thanks

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Check your battery and ground connections.Pay particular attention to the frame rail ground cable connection as that has been a common problem on these machines,the problem being,it's not tight enough and needs to be tightened alittle more. But don't tighten it up to the point of breaking the bolt! Capishe??

·
Founding member
1,193 Posts
Also check the connection at the headlight, a few years ago I found mine had melted through slightly and was causing a short. It was very hard to spot, but finally found it. Replaced the connector and haven't had an issue sense. Apparently because I run the Xtreme bulbs, they get hotter than normal, which caused my issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took a closer look at the middle harness connector on the VCM.
Pin 20 (red wire) has been hot and turning brown. The spade on the VCM was black. Cleaned them both and tightened the pin in the connector for a better connection.
Spoke with the service manager at another dealer where I've had bike serviced in the past. He was fully aware of the issue although the recall was specific to 2014 he said he'd do all he could to get it run through for me. It's a further drive but I like that dealership much better they're awesome.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My wife's 2016 Springfield had this problem a month ago. The fix was a new $700 VCM wiring harness. However, the dealer could not diagnose the root cause of the voltage spike or heat that burned the pin out. Polaris denied the repair claim. Good luck to you, though. I'm extremely interested in your outcome.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had the bike in to my preferred dealer to look at the issue. They installed a new VCM and repaired the wire lead. My Vintage is a 2017 and Polaris processed the repair with only a 50.00 "deductible" billed to me and I dont have an extended warranty. Dealer took care of the gear select switch at the same time.😎👍

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My wife's 2016 Springfield had this problem a month ago. The fix was a new $700 VCM wiring harness. However, the dealer could not diagnose the root cause of the voltage spike or heat that burned the pin out. Polaris denied the repair claim. Good luck to you, though. I'm extremely interested in your outcome.
Done Deal👍

1 - 7 of 7 Posts