Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An hour into my ride on Sunday I looked down and saw my check engine light on. I scrolled through and checked the code and it was the Low Beam Lamp short circuit code. I've had that happen to me before when my bulb was getting ready to go out so I didn't think anything of it. I stopped for coffee and when I got back on the bike I started it and the check engine light was on again and I checked and the light wasn't on at all. I fidgeted with the plug on the back of the headlight and nothing. Then I noticed the high beam light on the dash was flashing. I scrolled through the codes again and this time I had 4 codes, one for the high beam, one for the low, one for the right fog lamp and one for the left and all of the lights were off and wouldn't turn on. I did quick research on fuses and checked the fuses and didn't see any blown. I cut my ride short and took a more direct route home than I had planned. I got home did a little research and decided to go out and troubleshoot. I started the bike and checked the voltage and it was at 14.5 so that wasn't it. I pulled the seat off and was able to wiggle the negative battery cable. I took the VCM off and tightened both terminals, started the bike and all the lights came on and no more codes. Fast forward to today… I rode to work this morning, no issues. Rode home, no issues. I then ran a short errand and no problem... until I left where I went and all of the same indications as before. This is baffling. Any idea what it may be?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Bad plug on headlight - inspect makes good connection on bulb.
Broken filament on bulb itself

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've checked the plug and it's making a good connection. If it was just the headlight, I would agree it would be the bulb, but it is both high and low beam AND the Spot/Fog lights. If it was the bulb, it wouldn't start working and then stop again.

·
Registered
527 Posts
So it's all 4 bulbs that are intermittent?
If so, fairing harness problem/ chassis harness problem or vcm problem.
Those are the things the 4 lights share on the bike

·
Rider
798 Posts
There is a known problem just released the other day that they are just noticing and are trying to get fixed.

Call your customer service or dealership for information on I-19-02

·
Founding Member
654 Posts
I have had same issue, starting in July of 2018. Bike has displayed same thing as your's on 3 occasions in 3000 or so miles. Talked to mechanic at dealership and he suggested I check all plug connections at the VCM, looking for 'hot spots' and for tightness (last fall). Waiting for it to happen again, hasn't done it this spring yet. Hard to troubleshoot something when it's working - Dan

PS - 2014 Chief Vintage, 32000 miles.
PSS - will check into this l-19-02 bulletin with my dealer, thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
In my trouble shooting experience this sounds like a ground issue. Either a floating ground or a ground with high resistance. Floating ground is where you read a voltage potential between two ground points. It causes all kinds of crazy issues with logic circuits.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Now that we have all the facts, mileage, yr etc.
You'll need a new vcm if it hasn't been replaced yet already.
The 14s had a problem with the headlight circuit burning up.
I bet if you disconnect the battery and unplug the 3 vcm connectors you will find burnt pins on the vcm. If they are burnt really inspect the vcm connectors to make sure they didn't melt a little

·
Registered
153 Posts
also check your ECM connector I had a 2015 Chieftain that twice melted the head light & spot lights connections. Poor connector design & not using relays to pull the tiger current load of the incandescent bulbs. Not an issue with the low current LED versions. Got a little push back that they tried to say I replaced the bulbs with non Indian bulbs & I told the dealer about US law that allowed substation with equal product & that I used to work for AMP Mfg connectors & their design was very marginal & did not maintain contact when pulling current.

So take a good look to see if you see dis-colored plastic on the right side of the connector.

·
Founding Member
654 Posts
headlight and driving lights quit on me again today. Talked to dealer, he looked up bulletin I-19-02, said Indian is aware of issue and will have an answer no later than 6-29-19 as to solution - Dan

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone have a copy of the bulletin they can share? It's getting prime riding season and I really hope I don't have to wait until the end of June for a fix.

·
Founding Member
654 Posts
Going to check connections at VCM and ECM and grounds again this morning. Didn't find anything loose or damaged last time I checked (1000 miles ago?), but will check again - Dan

·
Founding Member
654 Posts
Bingo. Found a hot spot on the center (largest) connector to the VCM. Center, larger of the two white connectors. Lower level, farthest towards the right side (horn side) of the bike. Pin is dark on VCM, plastic is yellowed on connector. Good sized red wire headed out of connector into wiring harness. Will talk to dealer on Monday and relay info. Have 3 months of warranty left, but he told me yesterday it wasn't a warranty item being that it is safety related, it would be on Polaris. He also said paper he had from company said they had a 'no sell' order on all 2014 111 bikes, meaning if they had any trade ins on the floor I would think - Dan

PS - I don't believe I missed this when I had it apart last fall, but it is obvious now.

·
Founding Member
654 Posts
I am a happy camper. I'm no electrician, and troubleshooting intermittent electrical issues is not fun. This is the beginning of a fix. Been avoiding night riding since last summer. Thanks guys for the help pointing me in the right direction - Dan

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also went out and checked the connections this morning. I first fired the bike up to make sure the lights still weren't on and they indeed were not. I unhooked the negative on the battery and then unplugged all of the connections on the VCM and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Plugged everything back in and reconnected the ground on the battery, started the bike and I had lights. This is definitely confusing on what is going on. Nearest dealer to me is ~3 hours away. I have exchanged a few e-mails with Indian Owner Connections and they are currently looking into it. They said they were going to have someone from the International team reach out to me. I was scheduled for a Memorial weekend 3 day trip, not sure if I'm going to do it or not.

·
Founding Member
654 Posts
Sounds as if you are where I was last fall. Mine looked fine then, obvious hot spot now. Had a Veteran Home ride out of local AL post next weekend, that's out now. I need it fixed by this time next month as the wife and I are planning a ride out to Iowa and Wisconsin at the end of June - Dan

·
Founding Member
654 Posts
Unbelievable. Just put bike back together in preparation to take it to dealer in the next few days. All lights now work again. Still needs checked out and problem rectified though - Dan

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Unbelievable. Just put bike back together in preparation to take it to dealer in the next few days. All lights now work again. Still needs checked out and problem rectified though - Dan
Dan,

How long have you been dealing with the issue with your bike and how often are the lights not working?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts