Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am interested in replacing headlamp on 2014 Chieftain. From what I have been reading, the Indian LED headlight will require replacing the VCM with that of a 2015, which makes it a costly proposition. Anyone tried anything else? Are there any aftermarket headlights that can be fitted without replacing VCM?

·
Rider
1,104 Posts
Phase 7 LED headlight.jpg
So far I've seen nothing that works. I tried to run the Phase 7 LED headlight but the Chieftains electrical system illuminated both elements on low and high beam AND I got a code on the bike MFD. The Reno Indian mechanic at the 5K service said there is insufficient draw from the Phase 7 LED headlight so the 2014 ECM throws more current to the LED headlight illuminating both elements. He recommended I not use the headlight. For now I'm just gonna go with the new LED passing lamps but I read in Indians web site that you have to re-flash the ECM on 2014 Chieftains after installing the factory LED passing lamps. It's a crying shame that you have to spend $400 on the LED headlight and $500 on a new ECM from the 2015 Indian. Really unhappy with Indian over this. See the above picture of the Phase 7 headlight with both elements lit on low bean setting. The thing was hella bright. Would light up road signs in the daytime. Maybe a large resister wired in series to increase the load would work with the Phase 7 but how much heat would that resister put out?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Unfortunately, all the electronic complexity that we seem to like is not always a good thing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Doesn't the new free update download make it so LEDs function properly... I thought I heard that... Can anyone verify or refute?

·
Registered
95 Posts
What model #'s of Truck-Lites fit the Indian buckets?
I installed the Smoked Phase 7 head light, & (2) Truck-Lite 80275 Passing / Aux Lamps & a Halo Ring stuck to the bezel.

*Please note that I used a powered load equalizer for each light to fool the ECM (The Halo Ring did not require a simulated load)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
chftn405, can you give more details on "powered load equalizer". What brand, model #, how it installs, etc.

·
Rider
1,104 Posts
Halo ring stuck to the bezel ??. There insufficient room to use the Halo ring as designed so you glued it on?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Halo ring stuck to the bezel ??. There insufficient room to use the Halo ring as designed so you glued it on?
chftn405, can you give more details on "powered load equalizer". What brand, model #, how it installs, etc.
Part # GEN-UNV-STABILIZER from Custom Dynamics

As for the LED Halo Ring From Kurakyn.. Then ring comes with its own bezel for Harley. I discarded the bezel. The ring has two sided tape on it and is designed to stick to the Harley headlamp then the bezel clamps around it. It fits perfectly to the recessed lip on the Chieftain bezel. Wired it to Aux 12v plug (unused) in the faring housing..

Attachments

·
Rider
1,104 Posts
Driving light adapter pig tail.jpg
This is my follow up post regarding the installing of the factory "Pathfinder LED Driving Lights " in my 2014 Chieftain. After following the excellent instructions I installed the lights into the fairing but then I couldn't get the LED lights plug to fit far enough into the bikes wiring harness to power up the LED lights. After a few minutes of looking at the wiring harness (which seemed rather long anyway) I realized that Indian had inserted a 10" long adapter to work with the Chieftains stock halogen driving lights. Once I removed this section of wire the LED lights plugged right into the bikes wire harness. Since the bike needs a 10K service I'll get the ECM re-flashed so the LED lights will illuminate. When I hit the power switch the LED lights illuminate for a second then go out followed by diagnostic code on the MFD. I've enclosed a picture of the 10" long section of wire that I removed and placed in a box with the stock halogen driving lights.

·
Registered
95 Posts
View attachment 4218 This is my follow up post regarding the installing of the factory "Pathfinder LED Driving Lights " in my 2014 Chieftain. After following the excellent instructions I installed the lights into the fairing but then I couldn't get the LED lights plug to fit far enough into the bikes wiring harness to power up the LED lights. After a few minutes of looking at the wiring harness (which seemed rather long anyway) I realized that Indian had inserted a 10" long adapter to work with the Chieftains stock halogen driving lights. Once I removed this section of wire the LED lights plugged right into the bikes wire harness. Since the bike needs a 10K service I'll get the ECM re-flashed so the LED lights will illuminate. When I hit the power switch the LED lights illuminte for a second then go out followed by diagnostic code on the MFD. I've enclosed a picture of the 10" long section of wire that I removed and placed in a box with the stock halogen driving lights.
To honest, I believe you are going to have to purchase the the 2015 ECM... I don't believe the flash will work with the 2015 LED lights....

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

As for the LED Halo Ring From Kurakyn.. Then ring comes with its own bezel for Harley. I discarded the bezel. The ring has two sided tape on it and is designed to stick to the Harley headlamp then the bezel clamps around it. It fits perfectly to the recessed lip on the Chieftain bezel. Wired it to Aux 12v plug (unused) in the faring housing..
I was looking at that halo, didn't get it, since I thought it would never fit, now it's a go, just gotta get past Christmas and the massive amount of present buying that 6 kids and 5 grand kids demand.

·
Rider
1,104 Posts
I looked at the GEN-UNV-STABILIZER and it appears that its just for turn signals? It fits the H4 bulb plug w/o any modification? Thanks for sharing the info.

Happy Holidays

·
Rider
1,104 Posts
To honest, I believe you are going to have to purchase the the 2015 ECM... I don't believe the flash will work with the 2015 LED lights....
Dealer said and the Indian web site also says that you must re-flash the ECM when changing to the LED driving lights. Bike is gettng it's 10K service the day after Christmas so we'll see if that's all it takes. I know the LED headlight from Indian calls for the 2015 ECM but that ain't gonna happen. Got better places to spnnd that money.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Dealer said and the Indian web site also says that you must re-flash the ECM when changing to the LED driving lights. Bike is gettng it's 10K service the day after Christmas so we'll see if that's all it takes. I know the LED headlight from Indian calls for the 2015 ECM but that ain't gonna happen. Got better places to spnnd that money.
The stabilizer is a POWERED load equalizer (i.e. no heat generated) Does the same for LED headlite as it does for signals. You have to tap into the power and the ground for each light...I can help you with the wiring . Again, you need three of them... Let me know how you make out with the flash... Thanks, Tony

·
Registered
31 Posts
I installed the Smoked Phase 7 head light, & (2) Truck-Lite 80275 Passing / Aux Lamps & a Halo Ring stuck to the bezel.

*Please note that I used a powered load equalizer for each light to fool the ECM (The Halo Ring did not require a simulated load)
I've tried to build my own LED but the heat from the resistors were just too much that I took the set out. But just so I understand what you did for your 2014 Chieftain, you used a Kuryakyn Phase 7 headlight, (2) Truck-lite 80275 and 3 (1 for each light) powered load equalizer P/N GEN-UNV-STABILIZER, right? Did you get all the parts from Amazon or somewhere else? Thanks for your help.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts