Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning I hopped on my bike to head to work and my high beam indicator was flashing. Checked my lights and had none no low beam or high beam. Figured okay my bulbs bad couldn't see a broken filament but decided to get one anyway. Had the old one out and about 2 minutes was about to put the new one in when I saw Nick in the ground wire right next to the female plug. No biggie I'll just put some electrical tape on that. Then I go to plug in my new bulb and noticed the completely melted female socket. Then I also noticed that that harness ties all the way back into the main harness with no plug-in site. I am pissed now I have to take my bike in I guarantee you they're not going to be able to replace it quickly and I now cannot ride my motorcycle that has 1300 miles on it and that I've had since the beginning of July at dawn or Dusk and Beyond. This really pisses me off.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Sorry to see that glitch! Could you see anything there to cause that wire damage (which led to the short)? That looks to be a fairly generic 3-prong bulb connector... Auto parts store quick fix?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That little Nick right by the plug isn't melted and might be the source of grounding but I'm not hacking up a bike that I just bought I want them to fix it I want a record of this happening I shouldn't have to fix a damn thing
Sorry for my sense of hostility I'm just pissed off at the situation

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Two different issues... obviously unacceptable damage to the bike and the inconvenience and loss of use. Maybe if you have a great dealer they can make immediate repairs or provide you a loaner during any waiting period? Proximate cause of the damage is of interest to myself and probably other forum members.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yep will do. I purchased at a dealer closer to my house but plan on taking it to a different dealer literally half a mile down the street from my work. They are not busy and told me to drop it off tomorrow morning. We will see. Hope my fuelmoto tune and pcvx don't get in the way.......

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update! So I took it into indian of Libertyville this morning, and was about to leave after dropping it off and explaining my problem when the head tech came out and wanted me to show him the problem. I did, and he said since the tins were swapped, he would have a hard time getting it warrantied by Polaris, so either pay him about $50 to replace the connector (which he assumed all that needed to be done) or I take it to where I bought it from (Indian of Racine). Yea I'm not paying for shit lol, so I called up Racine and they laughed when I explained Libertyville's story. Dropping it off Monday evening, have to leave work early its an hour and 15 mins from my work, and they close at 530. Oh well. Racines tech also said he would have no problem warrantying the part, as the headlamp wasn't removed in the swapping of the tins anyway.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My speedometer stopped working. Now I'm worried and upset. Gonna try and reflash my bike back to stock and let them look at it. If it makes it to the store that is.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Keep us posted... I have yet to have any kind of electrical gremlin whatsoever with my bike. Just minor stuff like TPMS not set up by dealer. I would hate to miss the learning opportunity for whatever is going on with yours. Best of luck!

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
Why were the tins swapped? And how does that impact the connector issue?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So all that was done was to cut the old connector out and splice in a new one. If I see anything but solder and heatshrink I'm gonna have a panic attack. But these guys seem like they know what they are doing. Pick it up tomorrow.

·
Bronze member
1,479 Posts
Same thing happened to my CDH within a few months (maybe 2) of owning it. Looks like when the bulb was originally inserted at the factory into the socket the bulb blades did not go into the female connectors slot. Just graft in a new connector from the auto parts store.

RACNRAY

Attachments

Reactions: Rvd9431

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Same thing happened to my CDH within a few months (maybe 2) of owning it. Looks like when the bulb was originally inserted at the factory into the socket the bulb blades did not go into the female connectors slot. Just graft in a new connector from the auto parts store.

RACNRAY
I also had a nick in the ground wire about half an inch from the plug, that may have been the cause. Regardless you are correct it was a simple fix that seems to be doing just fine. I however am taking 100% advantage of the factory warranty. Now its on record as a problem should any future issues arise. My speedo issue hasnt happened since. Put about 400 miles on since the repair

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rvd9431, I bought my Bike at Indian Racine also.
Great group of guys there.
I also picked up some "Take Off" rear bars...in Libertyville the other day. First time going there for me!
Hopefully everything is all squared away and you can take advantage of the Extended Summer!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had a similar issue a with my light but it ended up being the ground hadn't asligjtly open terminal when i swapped lights.....there will always be "glitches" here or there from a production vehicle. I would of been pissed lol

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rvd9431, I bought my Bike at Indian Racine also.
Great group of guys there.
I also picked up some "Take Off" rear bars...in Libertyville the other day. First time going there for me!
Hopefully everything is all squared away and you can take advantage of the Extended Summer!
Yep riding to lake geneva this afternoon, just ordered some viking hard bags yesterday they already shipped and will be here Tuesday. Me and my buddy are planning on doing a fall color run in Michigan next month

·
Super Moderator
4,757 Posts
Update! So I took it into indian of Libertyville this morning, and was about to leave after dropping it off and explaining my problem when the head tech came out and wanted me to show him the problem. I did, and he said since the tins were swapped, he would have a hard time getting it warrantied by Polaris, so either pay him about $50 to replace the connector (which he assumed all that needed to be done) or I take it to where I bought it from (Indian of Racine). Yea I'm not paying for shit lol, so I called up Racine and they laughed when I explained Libertyville's story. Dropping it off Monday evening, have to leave work early its an hour and 15 mins from my work, and they close at 530. Oh well. Racines tech also said he would have no problem warrantying the part, as the headlamp wasn't removed in the swapping of the tins anyway.
Can't warranty a headlight bulb connector because the tins were swapped?!?! What a load of BS, that "head tech" is a moron!! [wacky]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts