Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having excessive I burned gas plus a ticking noise from my engine.
pulled the head pipe flange .... the nuts were all loose and even one was totally off..... the specs call for only 15 f# . Check them at lest once a year. My 2018 Springfield had 16,000 mile on her when I caught this problem.
stay safe my friends.....

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Basic motorcycling 101: the heating.cooling cycle of the exhaust combined with the vibration from the engine can cause the exhaust nuts to loosen. I check mine every oil change.

Reactions: acwjr11

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Basic motorcycling 101: the heating.cooling cycle of the exhaust combined with the vibration from the engine can cause the exhaust nuts to loosen. I check mine every oil change.
Not being very mechanically minded, how hard is it to check/tighten the header bolt/flange nut on the 111?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
4,635 Posts
I was having excessive I burned gas plus a ticking noise from my engine.
pulled the head pipe flange .... the nuts were all loose and even one was totally off..... the specs call for only 15 f# . Check them at lest once a year. My 2018 Springfield had 16,000 mile on her when I caught this problem.
stay safe my friends.....
I torque my exhaust flange nuts at installation, first heat cycle, 50 miles, 150 miles, and lastly at 500 miles. The gasket material compresses at each heat cycle of the engine until it finally settles.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Not being very mechanically minded, how hard is it to check/tighten the header bolt/flange nut on the 111?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's fairly simple. You have to remove the covers (two allen bolts, two guide pins) that cover the exhaust flanges. The rear requires a socket, extension, and torque wrench. The front requires the same tools, plus a u-joint or swivel joint adapter.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts