Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Rider
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I know you should change the header gaskets every time to take the exhaust off. That being said has anyone reinstalled the header using the same gaskets? I just put the gaskets in about a month ago. I hate to buy new ones again just to change the exhaust again over the winter.

·
Rider
677 Posts
More than a few on here probably have. I myself have changed mine when I swapped the header, and then again when I swapped back. The duration that you have them on does not matter. The issue is that they compress and take shape and do not go back when removed. Your exhaust is rigid and the flanges aren't 100% parallel to the exhaust ports. The gaskets fill the voids when compressed. If you don't put new ones in, there is a high probability of a leak which of coarse can cause other issues i.e. popping, backfire, heat, etc. It's much easier to put new ones in when you are changing the headers than to have to take them back off again to replace them.

·
Bronze member
5,082 Posts
It's not a good idea to reuse them. They are a softish mesh of tiny wires, almost like two minute noodles cramped up together. Once crushed into position they don't rebound.

Some people go for the HD gaskets as they are much cheaper. The difference is the metal surround ring on the Indian one you can see in this pic, HD on the right.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts