Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I noticed while driving my 2016 Dark Horse the head light indicator on my speedometer was blinking. I pulled over to look at my head light and it was off? my driving lights was off as well. I went home and pulled all my fuses , they were all good. when I started the bike back up the lights were working, I figured I may have had a loose fuse or something. The next day when I fired it up the lights were working, I went up the road to the donut shop. when I went to leave the head light wasn't working but the driving lights were. Today , again, none of the lights came on. and the head light indicator in my speedometer was blinking.

Has anyone ran across this? How can I fix this??? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The night I discovered my voltage regulator/rectifier was bad I had similar symptoms. My headlight flickered and went out, my driving lights went dim and my speedometer and analog gas gauge lights blinked out occasionally.

I monitored the voltage and watched it go between 13.1 and 16.4 vdc. Made it home safely by turning off my driving lights. By the time I got home, the "dash lights" were blinking off and staying off for seconds, rather than just microseconds.

It might be a loose battery connection. It might be your regulator/rectifier.

Hope you get it figured out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think that's it, I might start it in the morning and all the lights come on and stay on all day with no nom issues. Then the next day they may not come on at all, or just the running lights may come on?? it weird. There is no rhyme or reason to the way it's happening.

·
Registered
371 Posts
So I just had a very similar if not the same thing happen to me. All was good this morning when I left out for a ride. ~ an hour into the ride I looked down and saw my check engine light on. I scrolled through and checked the code and it was the Low Beam Lamp short circuit code. I've had that happen to me before when my bulb was getting ready to go out so I didn't think anything of it. I stopped for coffee and when I got back on the bike I started it and the check engine light was on again and I checked and the light wasn't on at all. I fidgeted with the plug on the back of the headlight and nothing. Then I noticed the high beam light on the dash was flashing. I scrolled through the codes again and this time I had 4 codes, one for the high beam, one for the low, one for the right fog lamp and one for the left and all of the lights were off and wouldn't turn on. I did quick research on fuses and checked the fuses and didn't see any blown. I cut my ride short and took a more direct route home than I had planned. I got home did a little research and decided to go out and troubleshoot. I started the bike and checked the voltage and it was at 14.5 so that wasn't it. I pulled the seat off and was able to wiggle the negative battery cable. I took the VCM off and tightened both terminals, started the bike and all the lights came on and no more codes! I think its crazy that a loose battery cable affects the lights but nothing else. Hopefully that was the issue and it doesn't reoccur.

·
Registered
371 Posts
So I rode to work to day, no issues this morning. Rode home, no issues. I then ran a short errand and no problem... until I left where I went and all of the same indications as before. This is baffling.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I rode to work to day, no issues this morning. Rode home, no issues. I then ran a short errand and no problem... until I left where I went and all of the same indications as before. This is baffling.

Found the problem, it is the main plug that plugs into the computer on top of the battery. When you unplug it one of the holes where the little poles on the other end plug into is burnt. the dealership said there was a recall on them but not on my year model. So they are checking to see if they will replace it anyway.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Called the dealership today, Polaris is going to fix it on their dime. They're even coming to my house to pick the bike up, and will bring it back when fixed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts