Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted I was adapting an HD Ultra Classic lower fairing to my '14,Indian Chieftain. Received the fairing - Black - bought through Ebay. Had to do a very minor smooth trimming with a hacksaw to the lower corners (of both sides closest to engine); as well as to the lower outside edges due to the Chieftain's rearward sloping of lower portion of the engine guar/Hiway bar, whereas an Ultra's bar is more true vertical. Have had to order the vent adjustment knob/spring, as well as quick detach mounting bolts. Am taking progress-steps photos with my IPhone. After my complete install, I will post photos as one or two of you requested. (I DO ask you guys to give me a primer instruction on how to upload photos on this thread when the time comes.) With the hacksaw trimming, I do believe the lower fairing will clear the turning sweep of the flared trailing skirt of the bike's front fender.
As for the black color: was contemplating to have it painted the same color as my Chieftain RED, but on mock set-up, I find the black complements the bike's black frame neck - and will leave the lower fairing black. As a side note, The complete fairing pieces cost me $114 + s/h.

~ Nantan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love hearing about DIY's going cheaply and working out great. The sucky part is when polaris gets off their can and starts making lower fairings. I saw a '10 cc once that had HD lowers. He wanted them then, not later. Good luck with the project. As long as noone else does it, you will have a one of a kind custom,,, lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did something like that with a set of old Road Glide lowers, it worked out nicely, a couple on the Chief forums have did the same with the vented ones, after i did mine...think they posted some good pics of what they did at the master cly to the lowers for a clean fit. You'll love them really turns the Chieftain into a cold weather machine!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts