Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Vendor / bronze
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have moved the Thunder Works factory to a small town in Georgia. We now have our own exhaust pipes and intakes. So I want to sell a complete performance kit but I need a Dyno report to back up my wild claims. We are located 45 minutes from Jacksonville, FL and 90 minutes from Savanah, GA. (right at the border Kingsland, GA) I found a Dyno tuner in Jacksonville but his system broke 12 hours before my appointment. So I called around and found a Harley shop with a dyno. I asked them if they would just give me a read out on my Indian Springfield. I was told I must have a Harley VIN number or they can't help me. Case closed. He seemed angry that an Indian owner would dare to even call. Maybe this is some kind of policy but they sure blew the chance to win me over to Harley.

·
Bronze member
2,403 Posts
I have moved the Thunder Works factory to a small town in Georgia. We now have our own exhaust pipes and intakes. So I want to sell a complete performance kit but I need a Dyno report to back up my wild claims. We are located 45 minutes from Jacksonville, FL and 90 minutes from Savanah, GA. (right at the border Kingsland, GA) I found a Dyno tuner in Jacksonville but his system broke 12 hours before my appointment. So I called around and found a Harley shop with a dyno. I asked them if they would just give me a read out on my Indian Springfield. I was told I must have a Harley VIN number or they can't help me. Case closed. He seemed angry that an Indian owner would dare to even call. Maybe this is some kind of policy but they sure blew the chance to win me over to Harley.

Yeah, I'm guessing the entire Harley Davidson empire is about to collapse now that you bought an Indian. So instead of taking your money and providing a service they decide to be jerks. At my local Indian dealership the guys will work on pretty much anyone's bike - and advertise that fact. Guess they don't feel threatened by it.

·
Founding member
1,763 Posts
I haven't been to many Harley dealers, but two of the ones I have had a huge sign over the service desk Harleys only. They even refused to service my Buell, made by Harley-Davidson. One of the mechanics agreed to help me fix it quick in a parking lot down the street on his lunch break, I felt like I was doing a drug deal.

·
Registered
571 Posts
It has nothing to do with your Indian Ego, they don't service any other brand. I hear it's a liability thing of something.

Burt

·
Registered
32 Posts
I haven't been to many Harley dealers, but two of the ones I have had a huge sign over the service desk Harleys only. They even refused to service my Buell, made by Harley-Davidson. One of the mechanics agreed to help me fix it quick in a parking lot down the street on his lunch break, I felt like I was doing a drug deal.
Lol. That's funny

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
471 Posts
It has nothing to do with your Indian Ego, they don't service any other brand. I hear it's a liability thing of something.

Burt
Yep,, it is..It's also the simple routine of "I dont know how your mechanic did it but now that he fixed my burned out headlight my motor clacks"... Wayy to easy to get dirty from another companies muddy water..

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yep,, it is..It's also the simple routine of "I dont know how your mechanic did it but now that he fixed my burned out headlight my motor clacks"... Wayy to easy to get dirty from another companies muddy water..
But...we're talking about a Dyno run here right ? Not actual service...

·
Founding member
1,763 Posts

Burt
That may be their excuse, but I doubt that its true. Otherwise why would just about every metric shop I've ever been to service all makes and models even if they aren't a dealer for that brand? Also, I would have to assume their mechanics are trained to do a technical inspection on trade ins of any make.

I figure its more like the reason they don't sell other trade in makes on the floor, because that would hurt the cult of Harley. If the Harley dealership sold you a used Honda then they are basically saying that it is an acceptable bike to ride and then they lose credibility with that whole "If it ain't a Harley, it ain't $h!+" marketing message. Its the same reasons Churches don't invite atheists to talk to their members about skepticism, it ain't what they are selling.

·
Registered
471 Posts
But...we're talking about a Dyno run here right ? Not actual service...
It was a metaphor,, I will rewrite it,,,:

The dyno guy at the Harley shop may spin the Indian up on the dyno and, after the Dyno run have the owner of the bike say = "Thanks for the dyno test - only problem now is the Dyno made my bike a clacker".... Not worth the hassle..

PS = putting a scoot on a Dyno for even just gathering numbers is a service...

·
Registered
974 Posts
This is just so incredibly shocking. Can we sticky this thread so people know? This should be front page news. Newsflash the Harley location you went to doesn't do work on Indians.. A dyno run still counts. If something happens during the dyno run, who will you hold accountable? Yep, the Harley dealership. You would stomp and ***** until they fixed it. You would yell conspiracy theory at the top of your lungs that your Indian was sabotaged by Harley!

I am betting the Indian shop down the road wont do any work on my BMW either. I know right.. Shocking.. Indian is collapsing. Call everyone, we must all gather and speak as one. Indian must not fall..

Some of you need to ride more. :p

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
A few years ago HD dealers didn't work on HD's older then 10 years.

Now that the economy has slowed they will..

Dyno a Indian...... Ha!.. Ha!Ha!... Ha.. Yo too funny..

They might a CMC Indian since it's a S&S HD clone motor...(A real motorcycle)
IMG_0073.JPG

[bookworm][hilarious].......[bored]

·
Vendor / bronze
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can understand why Harley might not want to work on other brands of bikes. This is why I asked if they would Dyno an Indian before we got into setting up an appointment. What I thought was unnecessary was the man's indignation. Doing a Dyno read out does not require parts so it is a reasonable question. I know many Harley owners and we get along just fine. But it is surprising how many I run into that get hostile about someone owning an Indian. Before someone jumps in and tells me to man up and get over it. I think the Harley guys need to get over it. The world is made up of a variety of different things. I use Apple products and I enjoy them. But I am glad there are androids etc out there. It keeps Apple from getting lazy and vice versa.

·
Registered
974 Posts
It is all about liability. Why would Harley want to dyno an Indian when a dyno could damage it? The guy you spoke to sounds like he was an a-hole. You can find those anywhere.

Also Indian owners are just as indignant about other brands (Harley) just as much as Harley owners are indignant about other brands (Indian).

Basically both need to get over it. It is like watching the 2 slowest bikes argue over who is fastest. It just looks silly.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Im sure there is more to this story. Did you tell him you copied your business name from another manufacturer too?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
They're probably afraid of losing more buyers after seeing how well the the Indian does on their dyno.
Looks like the kool-aid days might be coming to a end. Indian just pissed in the punch bowl.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
IMG_6517.JPG
Very poor business strategy. The best thing any business can do is to go the Second Mile in helping EVERYONE, whether there's money in it or not. People remember GENEROSITY a lot longer than stinginess... generosity is somewhat rare.

If that HD dealer had welcomed you in, run the dyno on your bike, given you a coffee, complimented you on your bike/gear, etc, made you his friend, you would probably have posted that on this Forum, together with his name and address. Poor bastard missed a golden opportunity in my view.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Should have went to the showroom, copied a VIN number from one of the Harleys, went back and said "Here's my VIN number." ;)

Seriously, don't know why they wouldn't run you on their dyno, seems like an easy way to make some quick cash, but maybe they only let Harleys in their shop. Their choice, I suppose.

Reactions: One-Eyed Jack
1 - 20 of 153 Posts