Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Read Only
416 Posts
I'm not into all this new-fangled stuff (and you kids get off my lawn...).

I was attempting to be humorous with my first statement but I've never used either. I have an android phone so what does Android Auto do for you being it's that important EVERY vehicle has to have it these days along with Apple Carplay? Does it help cut down on all the distractions already in our vehicles/on our bikes that keep the real attention away from actually driving/riding? If so, I'm all for it. I'm all for tek-na-la-gee (if it has an on/off switch) but help an older guy out with an explanation of what it does

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,508 Posts

I was attempting to be humorous with my first statement but I've never used either. I have an android phone so what does Android Auto do for you being it's that important EVERY vehicle has to have it these days along with Apple Carplay? Does it help cut down on all the distractions already in our vehicles/on our bikes that keep the real attention away from actually driving/riding? If so, I'm all for it. I'm all for tek-na-la-gee (if it has an on/off switch) but help an older guy out with an explanation of what it does
Well the biggest advantage of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto is voice activation of the compatible apps on your phone. You also have your choice of maps and music streaming services using your touch screen or joysticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
HDs are getting Android Auto and CarPlay. Can Indian be far behind?
HD has had Car Play for awhile. They will offer Android Auto in 2021.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
I found this interesting:

"With Android Auto, Harley-Davidson riders will be able to access favorite smartphone apps through the Boom! Box GTS and a wired connection to a compatible Android smartphone, making it easier to use favorite media, communication and navigation apps – including Google Maps™ – on the road while minimizing distractions."

Reactions: IMARIDER

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found this interesting:

"With Android Auto, Harley-Davidson riders will be able to access favorite smartphone apps through the Boom! Box GTS and a wired connection to a compatible Android smartphone, making it easier to use favorite media, communication and navigation apps – including Google Maps™ – on the road while minimizing distractions."

Yeah. Maps take too much bandwidth for Bluetooth. Plus, audio goes through the USB, giving it a lot more bandwidth, thus higher quality audio. I use Android Auto in my car. I can hear a big difference when the music switches over from Bluetooth to wired.

Plus, having the phone plugged in keeps it charged.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Google Maps is the main thing. Roads are changing here where I live. It takes about 6 months to a year for a new highway to appear on my Garmin. Google maps gets it in a matter of days.

·
Silver member
4,938 Posts

'zactly (y) I couldn't give 2 shitz, or even 1 shit LOL

·
Bronze member
3,235 Posts
I remember the first test ride on the new vision,man the windshield went up and down,all sorts of crap to look at,except that red light with all them stopped cars.man that bike had good brakes.

·
Silver member
5,113 Posts
They do but this roll out will also apply to 2014-2018 and 2019 to present. So older models can be retro fitted with a flash.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did HD publish that info? Why would they want to flash the older models? The new tech would be one more reason to trade-in on a new model if you feel you really need all that stuff on a bike...

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,508 Posts
Did HD publish that info? Why would they want to flash the older models? The new tech would be one more reason to trade-in on a new model if you feel you really need all that stuff on a bike...
Yes this from Harley according to the article. You bring up a good point. I’m not sure why they are offering it to the first generation Boom Audio but I think it’s a good idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts