Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, first time owner of a Indian and I love it. A few questions if I may, first I can only start my bike if it is in Neutral and not with the clutch pulled in. Is this normal?. Second does it take a while for the bike to warm up, there are times when i get 5 10 miles down the rode pull in the clutch to coast and it will stall. My sells man said this is a built in safety feature I own a 2017 roadmaster. Thank You.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Welcome to the gang. I have a 2018 Chieftain and I am able to start up in neutral or by pulling in clutch. Also it should not stall at all. I am sure about coasting and I normally pull in to downshift. Sounds like you need a dealer to check it out.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Not much of a safety switch if it stalls in the middle of a intersection. Hopefully kickstand is up while driving.

·
Bronze member
2,370 Posts
There’s a safety switch in the clutch housing. It’s somewhat delicate and can easily break. If it’s broken the bike will only start in neutral. There is a little metal tab on the switch and it’s prone to breaking..remove the clutch lever and make sure the little metal tab is intact. If it’s broken, it’s an easy fix. About a $50 repair.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Plus 1 one on what @TigerGA said. My 2019 was brand new, I had about 300 miles on her when I realized I had this problem! The dealer replaced the entire switch as they said the threads on the switch were stripped along with the other issue. No problems after that (so far anyway, I suspect if this thing is that delicate it may break again).

·
Rider
1,156 Posts
Hi everyone, first time owner of a Indian and I love it. A few questions if I may, first I can only start my bike if it is in Neutral and not with the clutch pulled in. Is this normal?. Second does it take a while for the bike to warm up, there are times when i get 5 10 miles down the rode pull in the clutch to coast and it will stall. My sells man said this is a built in safety feature I own a 2017 roadmaster. Thank You.
Time2gofishing1 is spot-on. And there have been a few riders who's clutch switches have failed. It's not actually common, but like any machine on the road, excrement occurs. If your salesman thinks that stalling is OK, he needs to be seriously corrected. Try talking to the service manager instead.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Salesmen are like politicians, 98.7% are prone to fabricate stories to fit their (not yours) needs. Go to a DIFFERENT place and get your bike fixed. Best of luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions on here. I've been riding Indian Motorcycles for close to 50 years and these new bikes come with a new set of issues. We are all here to learn. Enjoy your ride.

Reactions: TigerGA

·
Bronze member
4,871 Posts
The bike should start in neutral without pulling in the clutch. There is a switch under the lever that might need attention. Sometimes they fail and need replacing, and sometimes they get clogged with road grime. There is a little plastic pin that needs freeing up. A light spray of WD40 and move the lever a few times should clean it up in that case.

It's part #11 in this pic.

The bike should not stall at all unless you try to ride away with no throttle. The fuel injection will keep the bike running in cold weather until it warms up. If it stalls when you pull in the clutch there is either a fueling problem or perhaps the clutch switch is intermittently faulty when the bike is running.

There is no safety feature that will do this. The only safety feature is an anti-stall thing and exactly the opposite. If you let the speed drop too low and you don't change down then it will push the rpm below 1100 and the bike will surge to keep the rpm up. The sales guy has got it back to front.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts