Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchase my Springfield back in September. Since my purchase, I have put on approximately 4200 miles. During my short time I have had a few issues, minor at first, but I am starting to worry. The first issue I had was a check engine light but no code. This was investigated by my dealer and the result was the kick-stand switch. Apparently I have put the bike in gear, or left it in gear, and tried to put the bike on its side stand. Considering my last bike didn't have such a sensor, I took the news with a grain of salt and have since not made the same mistake.

The second issue was, yet again, another check engine light. This time there was a code thrown for fuel/air mixture. I took it in to get it checked and it was a one-time posting so it was cleared and I was told to keep an eye out for it popping up again. After a few weeks it has.

The other day when the temperatures finally dropped here in Maryland, I heard what I thought was an exhaust leak. The noise wasn't persistent, didn't last longer than a few seconds, and it didn't cause a check engine light/code. Still, I decided to diagnose the issue and, because my garage is ill-equipped to check the electronics, I stuck with inspecting the exhaust system. I also decided to inspect the intake system as well just to cover my bases. I discovered that half of the nuts securing the headers to the exhaust ports were loose. Those were tightened.

However, upon my attempt to inspect the intake system I hit a snag. One of the three screws securing the air filter to the air filter adapter plate refused to come out, the nut element started free-spinning. After numerous failed attempts to get the screw out, I was forced to literally tear the filter off the bike. Now I must replace the filter, filter adapter, and the screw. The total cost looks like around $75 if I can't argue warranty coverage.

But this is just the icing on the cake. During my inspection I also discovered an OIL LEAK! WTF! I am starting to think that perhaps spending so much money on such a machine was a mistake. I think it is kind of odd to have such an issue on a new machine. Anybody else having these issues?

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Some of your complaints are well known
minor things that are amply reported and remedied by others. Your dealer should be working on your bike. You should spend some time reading here to gain insights.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello, if you have foud oil in the air cleaner, don t worry, this is not à leak, it's OK.
The leak is coming from somewhere below the starter. I have not been able to find it's source. But yeah I'm aware of the oil going into the air cleaner not being an issue, just an annoyance.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some of your complaints are well known
minor things that are amply reported and remedied by others. Your dealer should be working on your bike. You should spend some time reading here to gain insights.
My dealer does work on my bike, if I have an issue. My dealer is also tiny, slightly under-maned, and booked two weeks in advance. If I can rummage around to save time and money I will because my dealer is also an hour+ away.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
My dealer does work on my bike, if I have an issue. My dealer is also tiny, slightly under-maned, and booked two weeks in advance. If I can rummage around to save time and money I will because my dealer is also an hour+ away.
I understand the dilemma all too well. I found a dealer I can partially trust 3 hours away.

Your first check engine light is a non-issue... simply the interaction of safety features. Don't feel bad, this has happened to many of us including myself. I had to call my dealer on that one. Oops!
Your loose manifold fasteners problem is also well-known. It will cause AF mixture errors in your ECM because the oxygen sensors are getting some bleed air through the leak. Your dealer should have tightened these items at least during the 500 mile service. Many of us here have had the issue. The solution is to re-tighten those fasteners when they are found to have loosened up. This may take a few heat/cool cycles and some miles to settle down. I found that mine stopped loosening after 1,000 miles and a couple re-torques. Oil in the AF can simply be blow-by sometimes caused by high-revs and/or high oil levels. My bikes will do this when I really push them hard and others have reported the same thing from high oil levels, even a very slight overfill. There are plenty of stock air filters around the community as many of us have upgraded our filters... spare parts can be had for the asking. If you have a leak at your starter or at your regulator wiring penetration, these have also been reported and remedied. Dealer warranty repairs should be readily available.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
at time of purchase i was told about the kick stand code. i simply hit the kill switch, an eng off then kick stand down. yup done it many times as habit with other brand of bikes. Oil well i be at dealer. My dealer is new just laid off my favorite mechanic until it picks up their. But he is only 40 min away.

·
Registered
2008 Victory Vision 2016 Victory Vision 2020 Indian Challenger
825 Posts
I purchase my Springfield back in September. Since my purchase, I have put on approximately 4200 miles. During my short time I have had a few issues, minor at first, but I am starting to worry. The first issue I had was a check engine light but no code. This was investigated by my dealer and the result was the kick-stand switch. Apparently I have put the bike in gear, or left it in gear, and tried to put the bike on its side stand. Considering my last bike didn't have such a sensor, I took the news with a grain of salt and have since not made the same mistake.

Based on your comment and name Flux Capacitor, can I assume you were a Vision pilot?

·
Vendor / bronze
3,021 Posts
If you want to check for exhaust leaks here is a cool trick. Of course loose bolts are obviously going to cause a leak. Run the engine, take a BBQ lighter stick and move the flame around the the exhaust joints. If there is a leak in the exhaust you will see it blow or suck the flame. If you find a leak, tighten the bolts. This does not always work though. Sometimes there can be a burr or debri in the gasket or joint. In this case you need to replace the gasket or smooth off the flange. Remember, RUN,BBQ, TIGHTEN, REPEAT.

·
Vendor / bronze
3,021 Posts
I want to make another comment. These machines are built by humans that make mistakes. It is fair to expect a perfect bike but it is not uncommon to have at least one problem. Dealer mechanics are even more likely to make a mistake. I think you want to love your dealer and give him business. But when you get home check everything. It is your body riding that thing. My 64 year old body can't afford to tumble on the asphalt very far. If you find a mistake, call your dealer and be sympathetic but insist they remedy the mistake. Tell them you want to be loyal and you hope they will be loyal to you also.

·
Silver member
5,276 Posts
My exhaust bolts loosened up twice in the first 5k. I checked them at 1K (fairly loose) and then again at 4K ( just needed a 1/4 turn to tighten them up). Since the 4K tightening I they have not loosened up again. My currently mileage is 18K in 17 months of ownership. To this day, I still check them about once a month after a good cleaning. I generally go around the whole bike with long T allen wrench and check all the main bolts to insure they are snug. To date, the exhaust has been the only one I have had to tighten.

Never had the AC issue, but if you are running the stock AC set-up then your dealer likely has one lying around he can give to you. Many guys don't keep the old parts when they upgrade the exhaust and Air Cleaner to the high flow. My dealers has like 8 of them on the shelf in the back of the shop...

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
It's OK to inspect your scoot for potential issues BEFORE they happen especially when new. It's never a bad idea to take 30 minutes to check connections and bolts while cleaning/wiping down your ride and actually looking at how your bike is put together. I know I try to remind myself of this with a saying of "If you don't look then you don't care".

Reactions: HINK

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Your first check engine light is a non-issue... simply the interaction of safety features.
Still shouldn't happen. This should give you either a "kickstand down" indication, or the engine should shut off, depending on whether you pulled the clutch and select 1st gear.

The side stand should not give a "check engine" indication.

·
Rider
591 Posts
If you want a trouble free bike that will dead on balls start, seek other marques. The Indian is a wonderful machine but is still teething. Things will happen part of the mystique. I love mine but it has left me high and dry more than my hippie ex wife. Yet, like her I had an idea there would be issues as it was well known. Sorry you are having problems bro'.

·
Silver member
5,276 Posts
The side stand should not give a "check engine" indication.
That is not correct. When you trigger the 520267 sidestand error you check engine light always comes on. The engine light will then remain on during the second start-up, but clears the code. On the third start, the check engine light goes back off.

I've triggered mine 3 or 4 times since I have owned the bike. The first time always freaks you out!

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
I understand it does, yes. But it's clearly a bug and a "check engine" should not light up, right? Should say "check side stand" imho.

right?

·
Silver member
5,276 Posts
You would think the sidestand light would just stay on or even just trigger the chassis fault light, but it doesn't it in fact triggers the check engine light. That is why it freaks so many people out the first time and they then waste their time going to a dealer to pull the code on the non ride command bikes...

·
Silver member
5,276 Posts
Or non-common sense oriented Engineer, LOL.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts