Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you bought sight unseen for distant future delivery before? How did it work out?

I've been thru gobs of bikes in my 55 years astride. I've bought several at a distance; but it was always a familiar model and I always dashed out the first weekend to fetch it. Bought an R1200C in Kentucky that way, a Honda Transalp in New York, and a Gold Wing in Connecticut. But the only one I bought for delivery way in future was the used KLR650 which is now my favorite bike. It was December 2007, and the economy was about to come apart. Fellow worked out near Dekalb at the Caterpillar factory was about to lose his job, trying to get out from under all his debt. Marathon runner, bought a 2007 KLR to ride to his events. I had been looking for the right KLR for four months. This guy kept dropping his price. No way I could get out past Chicago to test ride the thing and hand him cash. Plus it was snowy winter -- no time for a 1,000 mile ride back to Delaware. But a biker friend of mine has a non-biker brother in Schaumburg, just the other side of Chicago. Made the arrangement, sent him the cash. Told the marathon runner to pick a decent weekend to ride his KLR to Schaumburg, cause that would be my test ride. Told the Schaumburg guy just listen to it, if it sounds right, hand him the bucks. Deal got made, then BOOM, down came more snow. Figured I would not be able to fetch it until April. And that's what happened. Flew out, rode back, mid-April.

Great bike. Love it. Heavily customized now. Named her Biffy Bullfrog; cause if used as intended she will get biffed; and cause with her twin bulbous black headlights and green IMS tank she looks like a bullfrog. I used to brag sge was the bike with fifty five farkles; but she prolly has closer to 70 now. Helluva ride. Here she is in Merryland back when she was still young and innocent and carefree:

Bout you? Ever buy a ride with way future delivery before? How'd it work out?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
This is a first for me. Every other bike I've purchased, I took home immediately.

I don't think I'll have the patience to do this again ... ;)

·
Registered
468 Posts
One of my personal favorite motorcycles.

Can't say I've done that.
But I repaired a Fuller Roadranger's shift linkage on a IHC COE with a pair of panties found in a rest area in OK.
Finished the run back to Los Angeles, no problem.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Have you bought sight unseen for distant future delivery before? How did it work out?

Ever buy a ride with way future delivery before? How'd it work out?
Never like this ie: from a picture...
I did buy a first year Euro-style XV920 Yamaha demo bike in December so could not ride it until spring, but could sit on it at the shop. Turned out to be a great bike.

BTW: Nice KLR. I had been contemplating a new KLR as one of the potential bikes I was interested in. Got a couple of work mates who really like them. Biggest hurdle with that bike for me, is the seat height. The Scout solved that issue!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Biggest hurdle with that bike for me, is the seat height. The Scout solved that issue!
Biffy has been lowered. Easy to do. Swap out for shorter dogbones and drop the forks in the triple clamps. Then you can get a thinner seat too. All KLR mods are extra cheap and plentiful.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ha ha, good topic. I remember once in Korea ordering a Suzuki 650 thumper from a dealer in Honolulu. I just called him on the phone and asked if he had one still in the crate and gave him my credit card number. It arrived in the mail a few days later and I had it assembled at a Harley dealer. Had to design my own license plate since all motorcycles normally came through Pusan via ship and that is where the Army did their registration. I was up in Seoul. Interesting times indeed. You couldn't ride on the freeway because all locally made bikes were 250cc or less and considered underpowered and thus no motorcycles allowed on the freeway. In Japan you could ride on the freeway but couldn't carry passengers...different countries different rules.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I bought my Chieftain unseen and without a test ride. Ordered it before Sturgis and took delivery cross country in California from Charlotte in November. Zero problems.
I also purchased a 56 Indian from photos and through phone calls only. Am very pleased with that.
I also managed to purchased the prototype Fat Tire Scout from the Gilroy days...again, unseen and through photos and phone calls. That worked out as well.
They were all risks but none above what I could afford to lose in the deal or recoup should it have gone south.
Also ordered the 2015 Scout for my wife. Again, I haven't seen it in person nor ridden one.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I bought a 71 xs 650 Yamaha, because it was my first5 bike when I got out of the army in 72. I saw the add on 650 garage I think, that was at least 11 years ago. Bike was in Toledo Oh, drove the next week in the van and picked her up, I still have it and I doubt I will ever sell her.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,048 Posts
Howdy Folks,
Bought my Chieftain without ever having seen more than a photo of one; rode my Street Glide to the dealership and rode away on the Indian. I'd owned two Victorys and liked them, so I knew Polaris could design and build a good motorcycle. The glowing write-ups by Kevin Cameron and Peter Egan in Cycle World helped too. Have had no regrets.
--- Randall

·
Registered
487 Posts
There is never a second chance to get a first run commemorative anything, so I drank the kol-aide and took the plunge....... and I'm very excited about it..... and yes, the anticipation is wearing me out lol....

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Yep! Bought my Chieftain in March got it in April , never rode a demo. I am not disappointed. Matter of fact best bike I have ever owned. Went to the dealer to buy one. He said I don't have any until May. I asked if he had any hidden. Just one for the floor in Springfield blue still in the crate. Showed them the cash and said go ask your boss. I owned it twenty minutes later . Picked it up April 18th

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have never ordered a car and I have bought more than I would like to admit, let alone a motorcycle, but it was love at first sight on the indian web site. I did get to see it in person and sit on it and whipped out my deposit about 2 minutes later. Hopefully my love is still strong once I have some miles on it, but I got a feeling the scout is going to be a winner. Most impulsive vehicle purchase I have ever made.

·
Founding Member
431 Posts
The next Monday after the bikes were unveiled at Sturgis I went down to Daytona and put my deposit down on the 5th of August. Went nuts waiting for my bike to arrive by buying any book I could find on the history of Indian Motorcycles. My hopes were dashed when the dealer called to say the truck broke down and I have to wait another week. Finally she showed up on the 23rd of October 2013. No regrets and still grin every time that motor fires up.

Reactions: qbrees

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Went to Americade 2014!
Sat on and drooled over the 2014 Chieftain. I ordered my Chieftain through emails and phone calls with a dealer 6 hours away at the end of June!
so glad i took the leap!
I have always wanted an Indian and now my dream is a reality! Sweet, sweet ride! No complaints! Hard to stay off it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts