Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a 'Ride Like a Pro' Video online Saturday, and received it yesterday. I sat down and watched it last night and was very impressed by it. I had seen some You Tube video samples of these videos, so decided to invest in the latest release to see what it was about.

For those who have never heard of Ride Like a Pro, it's an instructional video teaching the techniques that are used to teach precision motorcycle riding to police officers. If you've ever watched police motorcycle skills competitions, you know what I'm talking about. The video lays out a series of training exercises that, if applied, will get you to that level of skill.

I'm pretty excited about giving these exercises a try. The skills that are demonstrated by the riders on this video are amazing, and being able to ride with that kind of control would provide a great deal of confidence.

So, I'm wondering if any of you have used the Ride Like a Pro videos, iad if so, what do you tink of them?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have number 5 (I think) and love it. Every spring I watch it and bought some pylons to do some of the moves. I just got a 14' piece of string and marked it with tape at 8', 10', 12' and at the 14' mark. Then go to a school parking lot and set up the course. I usually do it for a couple of hours and it makes me feel a lot more confident especially after not have been on the bike all winter. I have done that for about 5 years now and actually look forward to doing it.
Good video, not sure if it has helped me but I sure know that it has not hurt!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's cool.. I'm glad someone's talking about this. I've been on the fence about investing in the vids and getting a practice regimen going. Just from a tiny introduction to this type of skills work long ago taking the BRC course from MSF, I can certainly see how it would make you a better rider for sure.

So many wrecks happen at like 20mph and less because of poor skills or boo boo's that could have been avoided by better rider skill. I imagine this type of skills improvement would make you a better rider at any speed, like I saw from the short one-time BRC course.. Which I would like to continue to build on.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Willshootem,

Did you order the 'New Ride Like A Pro' title?
https://www.ridelikeapro.com/dvd-s/the-new-ride-like-a-pro-detailIs it quite advanced or is there a lot of the elementary stuff rehashed?
My fear is I'll order one and get let down with stuff that's already been drilled and engrained.
Is it geared more for getting you set up for practice drills so you can advance on your own then?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
14803 said:
Willshootem,

Did you order the 'New Ride Like A Pro' title?
https://www.ridelikeapro.com/dvd-s/the-new-ride-like-a-pro-detailIs it quite advanced or is there a lot of the elementary stuff rehashed?
My fear is I'll order one and get let down with stuff that's already been drilled and engrained.
Is it geared more for getting you set up for practice drills so you can advance on your own then?
Yes. That's the one I ordered. It starts out with the basics of learning the friction zone, then ends with instruction on the law enforcement training exercises that are more challenging than than the civilian ones. I haven't seen any of the earlier vidoes, but from what is mentioned in this one, it contains all of the original information, plus more tips, camera angles, and the advanced techniques that law enforcement uses.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
19311 said:
Yes. That's the one I ordered. It starts out with the basics of learning the friction zone, then ends with instruction on the law enforcement training exercises that are more challenging than than the civilian ones. I haven't seen any of the earlier vidoes, but from what is mentioned in this one, it contains all of the original information, plus more tips, camera angles, and the advanced techniques that law enforcement uses.
Thank you! One last question from me: Does it give you the templates, etc or anything else you need to be able to set up the course yourself and proceed with your own practice drills etc?

Cones excluded of course.. I imagine they don't fit in a DVD case very well. :)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the 2009 Ride Like A Pro DVD they have documents you can print out to use as a reference. A couple of times each year our CMA chapter has a Bike Rodeo where we set up cones and use these handouts to practice with. Over all a very good skill set to master and it can be a lot of fun with a group of riders who want to improve their skills.

The excersises are the Friction Zone, the Slow Race, the Slow Cone Weave, the U Turn, the Circle, the Figure 8, and finally the Off-Set Cone Weave.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very very good!!! Yeah I'm going to get off the starting line and get it ordered.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not used the videos, but I have been to one of his courses here in Florida. So my comment is on the techniques, not the videography.

The techniques work very well and were clearly articulated. I definitely came out of the course a better rider than I went in as far as slow speed maneuvering. I would encourage anyone that is not comfortable riding in the tightest circle possible (insert your mother joke here), scraping floorboards the entire time, to look at this.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I shot them an email and received this clarification.

'The practice guide is included with our NEW Ride Like a Pro video. It has the exercises and dimensions in a nice little booklet that you can take to a parking lot to set up your practice exercises.'

..I'll be ordering soon. :)

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
14803 said:
Thank you! One last question from me: Does it give you the templates, etc or anything else you need to be able to set up the course yourself and proceed with your own practice drills etc?

Yes it does. Included is a small booklet with diagrams and dimensions for laying out the various courses.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
19311 said:
Yes it does. Included is a small booklet with diagrams and dimensions for laying out the various courses.
Ditto. I just received mine Saturday and watched the entire video.Definitley well produced amd I'm sure it will be extremely helpful. I'm also planning on taking their course in Greensborogh NC this summer.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ordered the DVD and book. I've read through the book (which I thought was very well put together) but honestly have not watched the video yet. I've started working on some of the basics, but I am waiting on some bag bars I ordered before I start getting into the more advanced stuff. Just in case...

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
14803 said:

My DVD came with diagrams with measurements for setting up the courses. I had a bunch of old tennis balls that I cut in two to use for pylons. Work great.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
19311 said:
I ordered a 'Ride Like a Pro' Video online Saturday, and received it yesterday. I sat down and watched it last night and was very impressed by it. I had seen some You Tube video samples of these videos, so decided to invest in the latest release to see what it was about.

For those who have never heard of Ride Like a Pro, it's an instructional video teaching the techniques that are used to teach precision motorcycle  riding to police officers. If you've ever watched police motorcycle skills competitions, you know what I'm talking about. The video lays out a series of training exercises that, if applied, will get you to that level of skill. 

I'm pretty excited about giving these exercises a try. The skills that are demonstrated by the riders on this video are amazing, and being able to ride with that kind of control would provide a great deal of confidence.

So, I'm wondering if any of you have used the Ride Like a Pro videos, iad if so, what do you tink of them? 
You need to use a little common sense when it comes to how much clutch verses how much back brake verse how many RPMs. I was talking to a guy that fried the clutch in his new Cross Roads. He was running the bike around 2500 rpm with the back brake on hard witch meant using a lot of clutch.....

You don't need much RPM on a V twin. If your gentle on the clutch friction zone you will not need much back brake.
I run my RPM at aprox 1200 and just enough friction zone to keep the bike moving. Doing this allows me to use the back brake to control the speed of the bike.

The ride like a pro technic has me dragging the floor boards on my XCT .
BUT I can not turn my head and look where I want to go then turn the bike. As in the video he says snap your head around and look at where you want to go........ Nope can't do it... To many years of high speed dirt bike riding says always look where you are going...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Put Total Control by Lee Parks on your reading list. He also has classes which I look forward to attending with my son. However I don't believe they offer videos.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
15836 said:
My DVD came with diagrams with measurements for setting up the courses. I had a bunch of old tennis balls that I cut in two to use for pylons. Work great.
Another cheap option for pylons is 'red' solo cups. Just set them upside down with a small rock on top, or right side up with a little water to keep the wind from pushing them around ;)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is a Good video, and worth the price.

We practiced for a while then took the one day course. Very helpful.

Make sure you air out the clutch with a big loop around the parking lot after every exercise, and as the man said, not too much clutch.

Kg

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the RLAP 5 DVD and have taken the course in NJ. I know the NJ site has the templates on their site.

The DVD is great but if you can make it to a class GO FOR IT! I intend to taking the course again in the Spring as a refresher. The keys are the friction zone and MOST importantly turning your head/eyes where you want to go in advance. The other key point is be consistant with the brake, throttle and rpms.

Another bonus for taking the class is you get a discount from you insurance provider....15%

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep and I remember when I took the BRC the biggest hurdle I had was overcoming the looking-down bad habit.. Head up and where you intend to go. Takes practice practice practice.

By the end of day two I remember figure 8's in four parking spaces and getting a neck workout for sure turning all the way around to point at where I was about to make the bike go way passed 180 degrees.

It's the thing folks don't readily realize when they watch the LEO's in the competition with amazement. There's a lot going on just in where the driver is looking and continuing to adjust what he's looking at. Amazing skills. Just watching what their eyes are doing is a big insight into planning your turns and working your plan.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts