Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to pull out the baffles yet? Did the computer reset it self or do you have to have it rechipped? Denny

·
Registered
130 Posts
These are what you need to knock out of your stock pipes. They are only held in by 3 spot welds.
Remove pipes, lay on blanket, take a 3 foot section of house gas pipe ( or something simular )and insert into the exhaust end of muffler.
Tap the plug with the pipe, rotate the muffler, tap the plug with the pipe, rotate muffler, repeat untill the plug is knocked loose, push the plug out the intake end.
Took me about a dozen hits to dislodge. Did nothing with computer, runs fine.
plugs.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Running and sounding good. Not too loud, nice rumble at idle, definintly can hear it when you get on the throttle

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes I, drilled out my freeze plugs...it was a bit louder but not enough for me. Luckily, These just came out from freedom performance exhaust.

Here's all three sound clips they have on their Facebook Page.

Stock Headers w/ Slip-on's

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=659161480818783&set=vb.103618833039720&type=2&theater

True Duals w/ Slip-On's

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=660153597386238&set=vb.103618833039720&type=2&theater

Full True Dual Fishtails

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=660138480721083&set=vb.103618833039720&type=2&theater

I'm running the True Dual Shark Tails vintage new pipes 2.jpg Vintage new pipes 1.jpg

Attachments

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
Anyone else removed their baffles? I want to do it but am concerned there may be pay back!

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Like you Bluey, I'm more than a little concerned about my warranty.
Also the way the motor was designed to work with the stock exhaust.

There is an ecm that has a memory. It stores codes and information that the dealer can look at when he plugs in your bike at service time.
Our warranties are pretty clear about being forbidden to make modifications.
I don't think you could get away with anything...the way computers are.

So it goes like this....
You have a major engine failure.
They plug into the bike to make a cause determination and diagnosis.
They find the bike was not running within normal parameters....just say a lean condition for example....or it could be a change in air/fuel ratio....or heat....anything.
They take a flashlight and shine it up your tailpipe and see the plugs knocked out.
Would you want to be that guy?

Granted, I realize that this is a whole lot of "what if's" strung together to make a worst case scenario.

Let me tell ya something else.
Those stock pipes have fiberglass packing in them and over time this fiberglass burns out and the stock pipes get louder.
At 7,000 miles, I can tell you that my bike with stock exhaust is louder than when it was new.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I agree with BD. I have noticed an increase in the 'sound' of my stock exhaust. By the time my warranty runs out....one of four scenarios will exist.

(1) I will be dead.
(2) I will be too old to ride anymore.
(3) I will buy aftermarket pipes due to better availability.
(4) I will still be running the stock pipes and I may or may not knock out the plugs depending on how I feel about the sounds.

Until then.... I will just enjoy riding Lizhini, which is my bikes name....and is also Navajo for the word black.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
723 Posts
I too got the six shooters. Dealer told me that they will sound better with miles. I chuckled. Damn... he was right. 5,000 miles and they do sound better. Time for me to grab a big piece of crow pie.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I gutted the mufflers. I knocked out the freeze plugs and removed all the fiberglass packing. Sounds really good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
I figured I would share how to guy the fiberglass packing out of our mufflers. It has been discussed on other threads but none that I found to be the best way. After doing the first muffler I learned the best way to get the packing out! I forgot to take pictures but it was really easy so I'll explain it. I took a wafer wheel small die grinder and cut where it was welder from the factory at the exit end of the muffler. The whole inside guts slide out and it was very easy to remove the packing. I simply slid the end back in and tig welded it back together! After unwrapping the packing material it revealed the small inside tube of the muffler that was drilled with hundreds of holes for the exhaust gas to escape.
I only have one picture of the end of the muffler before I spray high temp paint on it to keep it from rusting.
I hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
I knocked my plugs out early on. I think there was a modest gain in performance, someone posted dyno results showing a gain.

After I did it, my service manager suggested pounding out the plugs and re-flashing the ECM to Stage 1 specs. More power, cooler operating temps on the rear cylinder, same or possibly better milage.... According to him, the plugs are only to meet California noise standards and were a last minute fix by teh factory to meet those standards.

I'm happy with the modification and would do it again.

·
1,956 Posts
I asked the local Indian service manager about knocking out the baffles. He said they didn't recommend it, but that the system would automatically compensate any variation in exhaust performance.

·
1,956 Posts
Ok, I finally got around to removing the baffles,,,,, and I'm delighted!

I get that rich throaty sound on acceleration and deceleration, and a great deep throb on idle. The other unanticipated benefit is that at a constant touring speed, it's not all that much louder than before the baffles were removed. That suits me fine,,,, a bit of a note when I want it, and peace when I'm hitting up longer distances.

I had thought about aftermarket pipes, but not now. The stock pipes without baffles are perfect!

Thanks to all you guys for the advice and info.... Top marks!

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Did you notice any drop in low end torque?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts