Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Scout in January that had been laid down, had the typical damage, tank, shifter lever handle clutch lever, bars but nothing that a paint job and a few parts can't take care of.

I was wondering if anyone here has bought a bike like this?

Cheers
IMG_3193.JPG
IMG_3192.JPG
IMG_3166.JPG

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I picked up a Scout in January that had been laid down, had the typical damage, tank, shifter lever handle clutch lever, bars but nothing that a paint job and a few parts can't take care of.
I was wondering if anyone here has bought a bike like this?

Cheers
I have not but have thought about it. I'm not sure how insurance companies will insure it but I don't see that as an issue of you get a passing inspection from your state.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Seriously,

There is a member on this forum who lives in the same state as i do, I think he purchases wrecked bikes, I bet he can give you more info on the subject matter.

In fact there is a thread on this topic....I will see if I can find it....

i believe his forum name is dieselgman....

Good luck.

4T

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
What I was told by my insurance guy was if you total it, the payout is a lot less if it has a salvage title. Basically, the bike is worth less than one with a straight title. However, if you can get a great deal, and there are many out there, that never bothered me.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Yes, I bought a 2017 Chieftain limited and a 2005 Suzuki C90. No real damage to either, both were less than a year old. I wouldn’t have let the insurance company salvage either if they were mine. I think the owners wanted them salvaged. I keep my eye out for low mileage cosmetic damage and browse eBay for parts. I’ve been looking on Copart for a Scout, where did you find yours?

Insurance company didn’t care when I asked and insured mine as long as the damage was fixed. Same experience with two salvage vehicles I purchased and repaired.

·
Registered
319 Posts
There are regulations that have to be followed to remove the "salvage" from the title and become reregistrable. In GA. You have to take photos of the bike before restoration, keep receipts for all parts purchased and put back on, photos after restoration but before painting and have it inspected at a state inspection station. Check online for your state. It might be easier or tougher.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
There are regulations that have to be followed to remove the "salvage" from the title and become reregistrable. In GA. You have to take photos of the bike before restoration, keep receipts for all parts purchased and put back on, photos after restoration but before painting and have it inspected at a state inspection station. Check online for your state. It might be easier or tougher.
In MN you need receipts for structural parts. But as mentioned above take pictures and keep receipts nothing to loose by doing so.

·
Bronze member
2,556 Posts
I wouldn't do it as I don't like speed wobbles.

·
Bronze member
1,586 Posts
Salvaged vehicles such as cars, bikes, etc will always carry the salvage title and because of that will most likely never resell at market value of that of the same clean titled vehicle. Besides that you might encounter serious misalignment of the wheels, axle, steering, frame, etc. If the bike is pristine otherwise, you can get a good low cost ride or parts donor. The trick is to really know your stuff or pay someone who does before you buy and/or during the build. I bought a salvaged car when I was young and naive, never again in my book. My only salvaged vehicle experience. Cheers.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Reduce value by 30% for reconstruct titles... no big deal. Biggest problem with salvage bikes (and salvage parts), is that you will need to know and plan for repairs based on ALL trauma the bike has undergone including those you cannot see. This can only be done with extreme caution and experience with understanding structural stresses from wreck impacts. Many, if not most, salvaged wrecks might fall into the cosmetic category. These you can repair without too much expense or worry. Structural or frame damage is a whole other animal! When I buy them, I look very carefully at all impacts and stress points and plan for replacing all related structures unless it is only minor scratch and dent damage.

Handlebars are designed light enough to twist and bend (rather than impaling the rider), replace them, never try to straighten. Most minor dents in sheetmetal, road rash or scratches - no problem. Beware of condition of your top triple tree and bar clamps... twisted bars can also create cracks in the clamps, replace them with new.

·
Bronze member
2,629 Posts
Salvage bikes are great,harleys are anyway. You can buy frames after market,then that changes the title to special construction,and the year it was completed.Calif is trying or have changed the law to one special construction title per lifetime.that usually boosts the resale value.has for me anyway,of course someone else might have different experances

·
Registered
371 Posts
Some insurance companies won’t insure salvage vehicles, others will once fixed. KBB takes 40% off value for salvage title, so watch your investment in a salvage if not keeping long term. In NY you have to have the vehicle inspected by the State Troopers before being able to re-register. You have to have pictures of damage, copy of insurance estimate as prooof of damage, and receipts for all parts bought. Used parts can be used as long as purchased from a junk yard etc with proof of purchase.

Contrary to popular belief it is not a safety inspection for the vehicle, just to make sure not using stolen parts or swapping VIN #’s.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Some insurance companies won’t insure salvage vehicles, others will once fixed. KBB takes 40% off value for salvage title, so watch your investment in a salvage if not keeping long term. In NY you have to have the vehicle inspected by the State Troopers before being able to re-register. You have to have pictures of damage, copy of insurance estimate as prooof of damage, and receipts for all parts bought. Used parts can be used as long as purchased from a junk yard etc with proof of purchase.

Contrary to popular belief it is not a safety inspection for the vehicle, just to make sure not using stolen parts or swapping VIN #’s.
Regulations do vary State to State.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Seriously,

There is a member on this forum who lives in the same state as i do, I think he purchases wrecked bikes, I bet he can give you more info on the subject matter.

In fact there is a thread on this topic....I will see if I can find it....

i believe his forum name is dieselgman....

Good luck.

4T
@dieselgman is the man on this subject.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Same here in MO. Highway patrol does the inspection and its pretty thorough. For istance, I believe they will not allow a rewelded frame.

·
Bronze member
2,629 Posts
Same here in MO. Highway patrol does the inspection and its pretty thorough. For istance, I believe they will not allow a rewelded frame.
Keep your paperwork with you if you use an aftermarket frame.had a chopper confiscated for no numbers,but being custom frame didn't have any.so long story short ,I went with a special construction title.have done this in three different states.but then again these are custom frames.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Keep your paperwork with you if you use an aftermarket frame.had a chopper confiscated for no numbers,but being custom frame didn't have any.so long story short ,I went with a special construction title.have done this in three different states.but then again these are custom frames.
Had a friend make his own trailer out of a matching old pick up bed and rear axle. Pretty cool actually. Highway patrol issued him a builders VIN that had to be etched into the tongue Permanently

·
Registered
371 Posts
Aftermarket frames should come with an MSO number stamped and a certificate. It is a Manufacturers statement of origin, kind of like a VIN but more of a traceable serial number because it is a part not a whole vehicle. Also used as proof you legally purchased a replacement frame. New and replacement engines, engine cases and some transmissions come with them too.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts