Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rider
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to swap a fuel tank on my 16 chief dh and the guts are trickier than I anticipated
How is the sender and pump attached inside the tank?
if there is a thread about this, I can't find it

Thanks in advance

pope

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
They are a bit tricky, but not so bad once you know the setup. Just be very cautious when dealing with the gas vapors. Leave the assembly all connected. Pull all the clamping nuts from the plastic cover. Lift cover to the side. Inside on the pump side there is a vertical plastic tab that locks the pump in place, you push the tab to release it's catch. Lift pump assembly until you can angle it out of the access port.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
There are a few more minor odds and ends to contend with. Be careful not to bend or damage the filter element on bottom of pump. Be sure to lift the crossover tube so it comes out with the pump and clears the metal holder tab that keeps it in bottom of tank left side. Install new filter if the bike has any significant mileage or shows any signs of contamination inside tank.

·
Rider
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are a few more minor odds and ends to contend with. Be careful not to bend or damage the filter element on bottom of pump. Be sure to lift the crossover tube so it comes out with the pump and clears the metal holder tab that keeps it in bottom of tank left side. Install new filter if the bike has any significant mileage or shows any signs of contamination inside tank.
Thanks so much, dieselgman
I'll bet the "g" is for genius!!
Was easy peasy
I just didn't wanna go yanking around on stuff in there without ya!

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
When you have it back together, be cautious about all of your fuel connections and check that you have zero leakage anywhere. Pick a safe workplace - outside preferred, have a good fire extinguisher handy. When one of these bikes catches fire, it is very difficult to regain control of the situation. Gasoline vapors are explosive and easily ignited.

·
Rider
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do D :)
good thing we don't keep tanks of it right above a burning hot motor!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
After you put fuel back into the tank and are ready to start the engine up, make sure you cycle the fuel pump a couple of times, by using the kill switch on and off. Need to get fuel back into the pump and lines all the way to the injectors, or it will be a bear to start. Once it starts, you can expect a little rough idle for a couple of seconds, but it settles down quickly.

·
Bronze member
1,393 Posts
The other thing I would suggest, if it's not too late, is to replace the fuel filter. Why? Because it's already out in the open and even if you only have 5-10K on the filter, you are still ahead of the game!

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Service/replacement intervals for fuel filter are 50,000 miles... can be significantly affected though if dirt or water enters the system at any point.
Clean fuel system and clean fuel tank, I would not hesitate to push the filter out to the actual specified service interval.

·
Rider
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. Forum to the rescue!
Great info and I’m glad I showed up.

Just got the bike as it clicked 1000 miles so I rolled the dice on new fuel filter. Looked to be clean and gassy-like

Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts