Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, maybe this has been asked before but in my search of the Indian forum I could not find an answer. Maybe they need to design a better site search engine or what...

I'm 52 and I've been riding for three years, finally got my 'forever' bike - a 2019 Chieftain Dark Horse(white smoke) last summer. I went through a Honda Rebel as my first bike, stepped up to a Scout, and then graduated to the Chieftain. In one year I have done 4,000 miles.

I was attracted to the Indian brand because to me it was something different from the crowd. More than half the people out there are riding Harleys, and that seemed cliche. Plus, Indian has better technology in their bikes and Harley seems scramble to keep up with Indian's offerings each year.

My one woe is the sound of the Indian with the stock pipes. Pillory me if you will, but I have to admit that I do like the Harley pot-TA-o---po-TA-o sound. My bone stock Chieftain has a sound that is linear , almost no rhythm. It almost sounds metallic. It reminds me of the Honda Rebel I started with, but a bit louder.

So my question(s) is/are this: what can be done to make the 111 engine sound more "po-TA-to--po-TA-to-ey"? I have considered getting the Stage 2 cams/exhaust but from what I've seen on Youtube etc. the sound ends up being more of a 'PA-ta-to--PA-ta-to' sound instead of 'Po-TA-to Po-TA'to'. I don't need the extra power for the kind of highway/state road riding I do, but yes it would be nice :). And yes, I know that the rhythm on the Harley is their patented single pin/valve combo so the rhythm can not easily be imitated.

Anyone done this? How close did you get?

·
Bronze member
4,158 Posts
OK, maybe this has been asked before but in my search of the Indian forum I could not find an answer. Maybe they need to design a better site search engine or what...

I'm 52 and I've been riding for three years, finally got my 'forever' bike - a 2019 Chieftain Dark Horse(white smoke) last summer. I went through a Honda Rebel as my first bike, stepped up to a Scout, and then graduated to the Chieftain. In one year I have done 4,000 miles.

I was attracted to the Indian brand because to me it was something different from the crowd. More than half the people out there are riding Harleys, and that seemed cliche. Plus, Indian has better technology in their bikes and Harley seems scramble to keep up with Indian's offerings each year.

My one woe is the sound of the Indian with the stock pipes. Pillory me if you will, but I have to admit that I do like the Harley pot-TA-o---po-TA-o sound. My bone stock Chieftain has a sound that is linear , almost no rhythm. It almost sounds metallic. It reminds me of the Honda Rebel I started with, but a bit louder.

So my question(s) is/are this: what can be done to make the 111 engine sound more "po-TA-to--po-TA-to-ey"? I have considered getting the Stage 2 cams/exhaust but from what I've seen on Youtube etc. the sound ends up being more of a 'PA-ta-to--PA-ta-to' sound instead of 'Po-TA-to Po-TA'to'. I don't need the extra power for the kind of highway/state road riding I do, but yes it would be nice :). And yes, I know that the rhythm on the Harley is their patented single pin/valve combo so the rhythm can not easily be imitated.

Single Pin crankshaft is not exclusive to Harley, all the Yamaha V Twins had it, Indian has it and many others. Has more to do with how Harley sets ignition timing and valve sequence.

For example I believe the Harley motors every 4th revolution both cylinders fire in sequence after each other. Where metrics and indian fire one cylinder every 2 revolutions.

So the Harley has 2 quick power pulses one after the other every 4th revolution, where the other guys have one power pulse every 2 revolutions.

·
Silver member
5,043 Posts
I am actually very happy with my stage one sound. Not to loud. Not to quiet. And it doesn't sound anything like a Harley to me. That makes me extremely happy!

·
Rider
944 Posts
I actually like the sound of my 116 and Reinhardt's over my old Harley.
The reason a HD sounds the way it does is the cylinders fire
  • A piston fires.
  • The next piston fires at 315 degrees.
  • There is a 405-degree gap.
  • A piston fires.
Its the long gap that gives it it's unique sound.

it is the single pin design that gives it the sound. Honda made a shadow called the ACE with a single pin and HD looks in the 90s. Harley took them to court saying they copied too closely the HD look and sound. The case was never resolved and HD finally dropped the case. Honda also quietly stopped making the single pin shadow. The old shovelheads owners use to turn their idle way down to get a very long gap to the point you thought it had stopped. Very cool if you have heard it but horrible on oil flow.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have stage 2 Indian cams and Indian stage 1 intake and exhaust with stock header and catalytic converter (also Indian ECU re-flash). I like the sound Not too loud at idle, the cams give it a nice idle. When you get on it, it does get louder. To each there own. I found this on you-tube Check out this video
Fast forward to 3:10 and 3:55

·
Bronze member
2,233 Posts
Depends on how lopey & loud of an exhaust you want. Although the 2 brands will never sound exactly the same as explained earlier by their unique v-twin design & timing. I would call a new AC, good tune and aftermarket slip on's as the 1st step. Then if you're looking for more sound remove the cat from the header. Then if that's not enough then cams or a BBK and the appropriate performance tune. Try to personally listen to as many Indian 111's that gets your attention to figure out the right combo you're looking for. Get's addicting and expensive depending how far you want to go.

·
Rider
1,293 Posts
The best sounding Harley is the Sportster... every other Harley tries to imitate it... I like my sound... I'm running American Custom Exhaust.. just loud enough for me..
Sportsters are HD's best sounding bike over the last 40-ish years...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Sportsters are HD's best sounding bike over the last 40-ish years...
My sportster sounds fantastic. In my opinion HD has the better sounding motorcycle.

I also like the Indian sound, just a little different though. There's a lot to like about the thunderstroke platform.

·
Bronze member
4,158 Posts
I actually like the sound of my 116 and Reinhardt's over my old Harley.
The reason a HD sounds the way it does is the cylinders fire
  • A piston fires.
  • A piston fires.
Its the long gap that gives it it's unique sound.

it is the single pin design that gives it the sound. Honda made a shadow called the ACE with a single pin and HD looks in the 90s. Harley took them to court saying they copied too closely the HD look and sound. The case was never resolved and HD finally dropped the case. Honda also quietly stopped making the single pin shadow. The old shovelheads owners use to turn their idle way down to get a very long gap to the point you thought it had stopped. Very cool if you have heard it but horrible on oil flow.
Exactly
The firing order is the reason for the sound.

Indian and Yamaha and victory all use single pin and sound nothing like a Harley because they use a different firing order.

Single pin is not the reason for that sound.

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
657 Posts
I'd get rid of it as fast as I could and go back to Honda.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
It sounds like your not happy with the sound of a stock exhaust more then anything. So change it. Indians sound as good as any Harley side by side with the same exhaust. Yes it’s a bit different but not that much. Cams are what gives it more of that loping sound nothing else.

·
Registered
312 Posts

Appreciate your opinion as I do all riders of all brands, with that said the Indian sounds (with stage 2 cams and stage 1 air and good set of pipes: Rush, Freedom, Rinehart etc.,) Like nothing Harley can ever create. I very rarely fuel up here (Black Hills of SD hundreds of bikes daily) without someone coming up and saying: "what are you running for pipes on that beast sounds just great" so as you continue to research the project just know the very last thing you want is to sound like the "wannabe harley". Enjoy your ride and let her rip and do stay safe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks all for your opinions. I'm gonna go with the stage 2. Question about the pipes: Indian offers a full-up Stage 2 package with air filter and pipes. Any opinion on getting the Indian pipes vs aftermarket like Rhinehart, Rush, etc.? I'm looking for a "rumble", not necessarily a crazy loud setup.

Also, after the Stage 2 is done I assume the dealer has to do a reflash. Are there different reflash programs that that the dealer can do to alter the idle cadence?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts