Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am a long time Harley Davidson rider that wants to ride a bike made in the U.S.A. I have not been happy with Harley Davidson for a while but when they announced they were taking manufacturing jobs away and shipping them overseas, that is the straw that broke the camels back. I will only support a company that supports us. I am gonna get my Harley Davidson Heritage Classic that I bough new and turn it into an Indian Roadmaster.

·
German Rider
843 Posts
So, if I unstand you correctly, you wood prefer a Mexican or Canadian built Chevy over a Texas built Toyota, cauz Chevy is more American? I mean outsourcing, loosing jobs or building a factoryin a foreign country is never good, but if you think Harley and also Indian is American build, you could also believe that the stork will bring the children.
They are assembled in the USA, but have a look where a lot of parts are coming from.

I also prefer to buy made in America, during my vacations in the US, but......
I bought and ride an Indian motorcycle because I would like to ride instead of wrenching those snobby harleys....

Just my two cents...

Cu,
Sven

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,904 Posts
Hi I am a long time Harley Davidson rider that wants to ride a bike made in the U.S.A. I have not been happy with Harley Davidson for a while but when they announced they were taking manufacturing jobs away and shipping them overseas, that is the straw that broke the camels back. I will only support a company that supports us. I am gonna get my Harley Davidson Heritage Classic that I bough new and turn it into an Indian Roadmaster.
Might do some research on Polaris then. Polaris closed down one of it's plants and moved it to Mexico and they are also building bikes in Poland to escape the European tariffs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Rider
816 Posts
You sound just like me. Rode H-D for 44 years. Finally got fed up with their shit and switched to Indian. No regrets and hope you enjoy yours when you get it.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
So, if I unstand you correctly, you wood prefer a Mexican or Canadian built Chevy over a Texas built Toyota, cauz Chevy is more American? I mean outsourcing, loosing jobs or building a factoryin a foreign country is never good, but if you think Harley and also Indian is American build, you could also believe that the stork will bring the children.
They are assembled in the USA, but have a look where a lot of parts are coming from.

I also prefer to buy made in America, during my vacations in the US, but......
I bought and ride an Indian motorcycle because I would like to ride instead of wrenching those snobby harleys....

Just my two cents...

Cu,
Sven
Good Point. My Toyota Tundra was made in San Antonio, TX.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
It's a global economy, no matter how you slice it. You cannot go shopping in a Walmart without buying something made in another country, even the food. (I personally am very fond of Aldi's frozen Pork Schnitzels, which are made in Germany. They bake up real nice.)
I ride based on how I like the bike, the technology, and the beauty of the ride and bike. So I have a Triumph sitting next to my Roadmaster. And I wouldn't mind owning a Honda Rune, but my wife likes the Triumph too much to let me sell it to get money to buy the Rune.

I sold my HD to get my RM because the RM was just a much better bike at the time, and that seems to be holding. And I never looked back.

·
Bronze member
2,860 Posts
It is very rare to find something 100% made in America, and this has been true for over 40 years. Most of the Japanese car makers build cars here in the states and employ 1000's of US workers which then puts money into our economy. Many of the US manufacturers make many of their models in Mexico, Canada which helps those countries economies because the money that goes to the foreign workers stay in that country.

And all of them outsource parts from everywhere. Harley has been outsourcing parts from India, China, Taiwan, etc for many years. Their hasn't been a 100% US made Harley in years. Of course Indian does the same thing. All Indian Bikes are still assembled here in the US. The Polish plant will make the bikes for the European market.

The bottom line is "Made in America" is more of a marketing term than a reality these days. Most American flags people fly are made in China......:eek::oops:o_O

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
If the American made item you seek, is the best quality, buy it. Brand/buy American kept HD in business when perhaps theyre quality was subpar. They had no real competition in this arena to push them to make a better quality product.

In the 70s, just like the Big 3 automakers, they began to get real competition from the Japanese manufacturers. They soon fell way behind, while they refused to recognize they're failings.

Name one other brand other than HD, that could put out the poor quality products they were known for and survive. There are none.

I didn't buy my RM because it was American made. I bought it because at the time, I felt it was the best quality for the type of bike I was seeking. Being American made was an added plus, but it had nothing to do with my search and eventual purchase.

Like many have said above, we live in a world economy and have for a few decades. American manufacturers of all types were slow to realize that.

Are you any more or less Patriotic by what you purchase? Of course not. I love my country and believe its the finest country in the world. I just refuse to blindly assume we do everything better than anyone else.

·
Registered
972 Posts
harley made in tiawan box.jpg

·
Silver member
3,152 Posts
Back in the '80s my HD FLH told me it needed a new starter. So, I yanked the starter and guess what was stuck on the side of it... "Made In Japan". That FLH was a 1978 model and I'm pretty sure the starter was OEM. So down to the Harley store I go and pick up a new starter and guess what.... "Made In Japan".

"Made In America" is damn hard to come by these dayz.

·
Registered
972 Posts
One of the best "Made in America" comments I ever heard came from my machine shop boss in Ohio:
"You want Made-in-America? Get off your ass and go make something!"

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Zildjian Cymbols---100% American made.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
It’s so refreshing to hear such a liberal and open-minded flow of comments from people on this thread - especially knowing that when it comes to commerce, most here seem committed to the idea that the free flow of the market should not be impeded.

I can’t wait to see how enthusiastically the same open minded posters embrace ideas such as global warming, universal health care, and a higher minimum wage.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,904 Posts
Keep the Harley too you can't have too many toys.i think the only bike made and assembled in USA is Honda and indian.i will not.part with my harley,(unless cash is involved).
I'm sorry to say but Honda doesn't make any motorcycles in the US anymore and Indian dosen't have enough domestic content to claim that either.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
Good luck with your Roadmaster you will be suprised At the ride and handing. Like you 40 plus yrs with HD. Just got fed up with them and their BS. Went Victory they closed and jumped this way in August and no regrets. I also prefer American Iron. Yeah and my Harleys still in the garage.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts