Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend just hired a mechanic who worked 20 years for Harley , He asked me what I thought of my Chieftain. I said take it for a ride. He came back with a smile and only one word to describe it "WOW" was the word. It was the nicest riding bike he ever rode. I could not agree more

·
Registered
733 Posts
Guess that is why we have phrases like " A fool and his money are soon parted" Never saw the reason for the fanatical facination with HD. Nice bikes yes some are, but revolutionary or ground breaking almost never. Guess its just like in elections sometimes buyers remorse is hard to admit and swallow. Perhaps the 500 friends you have every place you stop is more important than the thrill of the road moving beneath your wheels, or the ability of the motorcycle to respond to your commands. I am not surprised that a mechanic would appreciate the later after all he knows why the magic happens.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guess that is why we have phrases like " A fool and his money are soon parted" Never saw the reason for the fanatical facination with HD. Nice bikes yes some are, but revolutionary or ground breaking almost never. Guess its just like in elections sometimes buyers remorse is hard to admit and swallow. Perhaps the 500 friends you have every place you stop is more important than the thrill of the road moving beneath your wheels, or the ability of the motorcycle to respond to your commands. I am not surprised that a mechanic would appreciate the later after all he knows why the magic happens.
When I was out shopping for a new bike. It was between the Streetglide and Chieftain to me the Indian won hands down.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
As a 3 1/2 decade H-D tech and ex H-D instructor, it didn't take me long to fall in love with the Chief models. I knew I would own one long before I got the chance to see one in person. When I saw the engine cut aways...I could tell that it would perform nicely. That is what sold me. The rest was a bonus.
Being a tech, I can say that many techs don't impress me. I like your H-D tech Harpus7. He has an open mind.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
The 500 friends is a strong part of HD. Indian knows this as do all old HD riders. This forum is a strong way for us to make the magic happen for Indian riders also.
My magic is when I get on my Vintage all my life problems disappear.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Anyone that turns a wrench on a regular basis and understands how an engine is put together will appreciate the TS111. I loved the engine when introduced and said "I sure hope they build a bike worthy of it". I think they did great right out of the box!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Guys who do you think is working at Indian Dealerships sales and service departments? Ex Harley guys 90% of the time! Most are Die Hard Harley guys in fact who currently own a Harley, may have a Harley tattoo but they will ALL tell you that hands down Indian is blowing Harley away with it's line up of bikes. Try asking the guy in the back and see if I'm right.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The 500 friends is a strong part of HD. Indian knows this as do all old HD riders. This forum is a strong way for us to make the magic happen for Indian riders also.
My magic is when I get on my Vintage all my life problems disappear.
Never ment remark to be a major knock just would be nice if some of those 500 friends acknowledged their is a lot of product out there that moves down the road in fine fashion. Some do and that is why I continue to attend bike shows and events on a regular basis. Approving nods sometimes hard to come buy and I know Im riding a good looking motorcycle and have done all the wrenching myself after it left the factory. A fact all the more important since its not a big selling model just the proportions where right for my wife and then she discovered passenger fit her mood better. With that decision I got rid of the R1100RTP, the radio box just didn't fit her ass all that well and have been enjoying burbon, blues and her company ever since. Now looking forward to doing more of the same on a Storied brand and will continue to talk to anyone who is willing to spend a moment or two doing just that.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Like has already been said, any opened minded rider takes an Indian for a ride, they will come back with a smile on their face knowing the bike they just got off of; was the best ride they have experienced for a long time. It's not magic, it's engineering, American engineering! Polaris & Indian has made more choices available to the motorcycle enthusiast, we all get to watch how it comes together for the masses! I think you will see more & more Indians on the road every year. If Harley engineers ever decide to build on the open frame structure, then you might possibly see a comfortable ride from them out of the crate, but until then, it's the swing arm shock bottoming out ride you will get from Harley.... not comfortable!!! Period!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Like has already been said, any opened minded rider takes an Indian for a ride, they will come back with a smile on their face knowing the bike they just got off of; was the best ride they have experienced for a long time. It's not magic, it's engineering, American engineering! Polaris & Indian has made more choices available to the motorcycle enthusiast, we all get to watch how it comes together for the masses! I think you will see more & more Indians on the road every year. If Harley engineers ever decide to build on the open frame structure, then you might possibly see a comfortable ride from them out of the crate, but until then, it's the swing arm shock bottoming out ride you will get from Harley.... not comfortable!!! Period!
and a good looking Corgi as well.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
After my wife got on the Chieftain, within the first 2 blocks, her first comment was "Oh this is much nicer riding than your Harley."

·
Registered
419 Posts
After my wife got on the Chieftain, within the first 2 blocks, her first comment was "Oh this is much nicer riding than your Harley."
My bride made the same comment, I had a Triumph Thunderbird prior to the Vintage. When the "boss" is comfortable everyone's happy!!

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
My friend just hired a mechanic who worked 20 years for Harley , He asked me what I thought of my Chieftain. I said take it for a ride. He came back with a smile and only one word to describe it "WOW" was the word. It was the nicest riding bike he ever rode. I could not agree more
Nice to hear an honest opinion.

·
Registered
154 Posts
There will Always be several "Brands" on the market. Pick the one you like and enjoy the miles. (Roadmaster is what we have) To many people in all aspects of life choose to just go with the flow, I will ride what feels best to me. And I'M SO HAPPY!!!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
The Indian is a way better engineered bike than HD. In every aspect. As a professional Aircraft Maintenance Engineer for 33 years I can appreciate my new Chieftain more everytime I ride it. Peice of mind is very important on a bike. My HD always had me wondering in the back of my mind, will it make it this time??!! Indian rules!!!!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts