Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Rider
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went by a Harley dealer yesterday. It was sunny and Saturday, so the lot was full of Harley’s and I pull up and park on my dark horse. They were staring at me like they were about to get invaded. I tried to break the ice and said “what kind of Indian dealer is this.” One salesman cracked up but that’s it. Told him I was there to look at helmets because Indian thinks all their rider are Chinese and I have a huge Viking head. I found a very comfortable 3x helmet. He reminded me it had a Harley logo on it. I reminded him that Indian loves Harley so much they made a street glide tribute bike (19 Chieftain) and if leaked pictures are accurate, they will soon have a road glide tribute bike.
By the end of my visit, I made some new friends. The existence of Harley and Indian will only make both better. I hope they both make bikes forever. I also told him I would appreciate it if Harley could make a well designed dash pod latch. That would be great.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I still ride my Vintage in my Harley jacket. I get some looks now and then....I love the tribute bike line...I may use that one.

I've never understood all the Harley or Indian hate (depending on what you're riding at the moment). I love both bikes, just enjoy the ride.

·
Bronze member
2,854 Posts
i went by a Harley dealer yesterday. It was sunny and Saturday, so the lot was full of Harley’s and I pull up and park on my dark horse. They were staring at me like they were about to get invaded. I tried to break the ice and said “what kind of Indian dealer is this.” One salesman cracked up but that’s it. Told him I was there to look at helmets because Indian thinks all their rider are Chinese and I have a huge Viking head. I found a very comfortable 3x helmet. He reminded me it had a Harley logo on it. I reminded him that Indian loves Harley so much they made a street glide tribute bike (19 Chieftain) and if leaked pictures are accurate, they will soon have a road glide tribute bike.
By the end of my visit, I made some new friends. The existence of Harley and Indian will only make both better. I hope they both make bikes forever. I also told him I would appreciate it if Harley could make a well designed dash pod latch. That would be great.
HJC makes helmets for Harley and are one of a few helmet makers that make the 2XX and up

·
Rider
816 Posts
I still ride my Vintage in my Harley jacket. I get some looks now and then....I love the tribute bike line...I may use that one.

I've never understood all the Harley or Indian hate (depending on what you're riding at the moment). I love both bikes, just enjoy the ride.
I still wear my H-D FXRG jacket. It’s one of the best jackets I’ve ever owned and I’ve owned plenty. I’m looking for another one used as mine is to big for me since I’ve lost weight. I’m to cheap to buy a new one. I’d love to get a Langlitz but probably won’t live long enough to even break one in.

·
Bronze member
1,949 Posts

"I've never understood all the Harley or Indian hate"
Brand preference, ie:
Chevy, Ford, Dodge Trucks.

Attachments

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,686 Posts
It's based upon childish thoughts & beliefs for the most part. It is what it is and not going away any time soon.

·
Silver member
3,146 Posts
Have one of each.... I fight amongst myself :eek:

I'm of Irish decent, but with some Brit mixed in. Couple of drinks and it's.... come at meself bro LOL

·
Registered
203 Posts
Say what you will about their bikes, Harley sells some excellent riding gear. I still have a leather jacket from them that I used to wear all the time, until the zipper went belly-up. The most comfortable helmet I ever wore was bought from Harley. It fit so well, that a custom piece could not do better. They sell all sorts of equipment that works really well. However, their boots are crap. Avoid those ship wrecks at all costs.

When it comes to Indians you can say what you will about their riding gear, their bikes are excellent. :p

·
Rider
747 Posts
I never understood the mean looks I get from Harley owner's when i ride into a bike night. I've even had them say things like "couldn't afford a real American bike huh" or or "got fooled by the cheap imitation I see". I usually dont respond. Then again when Harley owner's are on their own the almost always say that an Indian will be their next bike. Funny really. Just seems like peer pressure to me. I've never been much of one to follow the crowd. I like Harley. I really do. They make some really nice bikes. But once I rode the Chieftain there was no question which was the better bike. More features for less cost and just an all around better ride. That doesn't make me hate the guy on the Harley or his bike. We are all on two wheels. Like Rodney King said, "cant we all just get along?"

·
Registered
224 Posts
Oh the good old opposite brand stories and I have the British bikes, Japanese bikes and the H brand but I love them all and eventually a Indian and possibly this year. But Rodney Dangerfield said it best:

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,902 Posts
Good story but I have just one question to ask you. Did they wave

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Rider
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They will now. Most people just want to ride.

·
Silver member
4,419 Posts
I want to know just how big is 3X helmet. I thought my head was big with XL...:)

I had a similar experience on Saturday, and I even took off my Indian vest and went in in my Free State Brewery t-shirt. I asked the accessories gal that I have bought stuff from in the past. "What Panoptix 7 eye glasses do you have in stock?" She showed me. She had the ones I wanted but in a copper transition lens. She said, "how about trying some of these Willy X glasses."

I said sure. Then I said do you have any without the HD logo. She said no. I said, "Well I will take the those 7eye's then with the copper transistion lens."

Then she says, "Oh I remember you, you are that Indian rider guy. Yep, I said." And we had a good chuckle, but hey HD got 189.00 out of me. So a sale is a sale.

But the looks I got in the parking lot when I mounted the old Indian were priceless...:cool:

·
Rider
1,055 Posts
Well I took my American flag half helmet and pulled the HD emblem off and put an Indian concho in its place. I also rode right up to the front door of the HD dealership on my Vintage to buy highway pegs as they have a good selection and stock. They guys put a HD key chain in the box I laughed when I opened it. Then I found the guys car later on and put an Indian sticker on his rear window.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well I took my American flag half helmet and pulled the HD emblem off and put an Indian concho in its place. I also rode right up to the front door of the HD dealership on my Vintage to buy highway pegs as they have a good selection and stock. They guys put a HD key chain in the box I laughed when I opened it. Then I found the guys car later on and put an Indian sticker on his rear window.
So they gave you a key-chain. Why would you mess with someone else's property?

·
Rider
1,055 Posts
Because we have known each other for years. And I was nice I only pulled a little bit of the backing off so it wouldn’t be hard to take off.Trust me if we didn’t have that kind of friendship I would not have done it

1 - 20 of 31 Posts