Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HD has just announced that CEO and President Matt Levatich has stepped down.

·
Banned
3,263 Posts
Man that sure took a long time. I feel like they gave him about two years longer than most boards would have. Mid-western values I guess.

·
Bronze member
2,859 Posts
Yep forced out according to the board a "Mutual" decision. One thing for sure, they will find someone that shares their vision which may not make the faithful loyalists happy.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,904 Posts
Yep forced out according to the board a "Mutual" decision. One thing for sure, they will find someone that shares their vision which may not make the faithful loyalists happy.
I believe it was a force out too. On my opinion he was too focused on getting the Live Wire and other electric products out before improving the touring line and upgrading the Sportster line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rider
810 Posts
Yeah the Live Wire is great and all but the ones that they market it to can't afford it. Doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

They definitely should be improving the ride quality of what they currently have.

·
Bronze member
1,942 Posts
As long as HD remains a publicly held company, I don’t see the ship being righted. Stock price is the elephant in the room...nothing else matters. If sales can’t be increased, CEOs of publicly held companies will show a profit by cutting costs...labor, outsourcing, etc. HD needs to be bought out and remain private so the CEO isn’t pressured by the stock price.

·
Bronze member
2,859 Posts
The new CEO will be handpicked to cut all the lines that don't sell and or make much money. We are going so see a huge reduction in Harley Davidson's size by eliminating many dealerships and drastically cutting product lines. Wall street has been saying Harley needed to become a much smaller company to be profitable in the future.

We will see a big dealership reduction, product line reduction and a focus on more outsourcing. The board doesn't care about the Harley faithful, because they don't natter anymore since they are aging out and dying off.

Also the new CEO may also position Harley for a sale.

Matt Levatich was at the helm at Harley's greatest peak, and was the leader of the modern Harley as we know it. The new CEO is going to make big changes

·
Bronze member
1,525 Posts
As long as HD remains a publicly held company, I don’t see the ship being righted. Stock price is the elephant in the room...nothing else matters. If sales can’t be increased, CEOs of publicly held companies will show a profit by cutting costs...labor, outsourcing, etc. HD needs to be bought out and remain private so the CEO isn’t pressured by the stock price.
Stock price is only a small part of the equation. Stock dividends is the elephant IMHO.

·
Bronze member
2,859 Posts
Did the Challenger lead to his ouster????
No, the writing has been on the wall. He took over as CEO 5 years ago, and the stock has fallen every quarter and every year as sales continue to decline. The board and shareholders got tired of waiting. A enema is on the way for the Motor company. The shareholders aren’t motorcycle guys and most likely don’t care about heritage as it hasn’t driven the company forward in a long time.

·
Bronze member
2,168 Posts
and most likely don’t care about heritage as it hasn’t driven the company forward in a long time.
Husky's head's gonna 'splode.

Actually all of the things you mentioned above are pretty much what Jobs did when he came back to Apple. They had 88 different computers all barely different from each other. He tossed them all and came out with the candy-colored iMacs. Worked out pretty well.

If Levatich had upgraded the frames and suspension and handling of the bikes they were already making they would be doing fine (or at least better than they are).

If he had bought a portion of Zero and co-marketed them through the HD dealers they would be doing great and he would have scratched his electric bike itch.

Hope they get someone decent, they've used up about 7.5 of their 9 lives with the last 2 clowns. I remember that in pretty much every shootout review the Buell bike was rated the best handling and (usually) the most fun to ride. But the prior clown dumped him.

Riding a Lightning 20 years ago was what got me into thinking about an American V-Twin.

·
Bronze member
2,168 Posts
Did the Challenger lead to his ouster????
Couldn't have helped. The non-MC guys on the board had to wonder why he wasn't developing something along that vein since 2013 when the TS came out and showed what could be done with a big twin if you tried hard.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts