Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Rider
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imagine my surprise that while looking at the latest threads on the Springfield model I should see an ad for a GD Harley! Have we no shame folks? If its necessary to generate revenue to cover the sites maintenance lets at least keep HD ads off. I noticed a small icon next to ad choice. Can I click on that icon and just request not to see HD ads? Why hell I'll even donate a few bucks to get the GD HD ads off. Butt seriously I think its somewhat ironic that HD is targeting our web site........

·
Rider
384 Posts
It's not HD. It's a sophisticated advertising program that tracks your likes in terms of motorcycle stuff in general, and then targets that type of ad in your direction. If you spend a lot of time looking for information on vacuum cleaners, you might be seeing ads for Hoovers.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
So if you'd stop looking at all that HD garbage then you won't have to deal with garbage HD ads. Just sayin..........

·
Limited Edition - Solid Red Roadmaster
3,516 Posts
my guess is the add space is not sold directly to Harley, but rather to a broker. After that, the software gremlins nibble on your digital cookies, see your a motorcycle enthusiast and display the add accordingly -

short of selective advertising (which is much less lucrative and very tedious) - the board admin/owner really doesn't have very much control.

Heck, I don't like most of the commercials I have to be exposed to on TV these days, but the advertisers manage to manipulate more than you realize - don't take it personal - infact, many of those advertisers have to pay extra monies every time you click on the, so if you really want revenge, click on the HD adds, it actually costs HD money every time you do that.

·
Speak softly and carry a big stick. Teddy R
1,529 Posts
Sweet, I'll start racking up their bill asap.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Heck, I like Harleys. Actually, bikes are kinda like women - I like'm all. I bought an Indian, not the company (well, I DO own a little stock). If I live long enough I might buy another 1. To me, "Brand Loyalty" is for suckers you've swallowed the Kool-Aid. I always try to buy the best value for my hard-earned dollars. Last time that was, in my mind, my Chieftain. Next time - who knows?

JMHO

·
Registered
341 Posts
Imagine my surprise that while looking at the latest threads on the Springfield model I should see an ad for a GD Harley! Have we no shame folks? If its necessary to generate revenue to cover the sites maintenance lets at least keep HD ads off. I noticed a small icon next to ad choice. Can I click on that icon and just request not to see HD ads? Why hell I'll even donate a few bucks to get the GD HD ads off. Butt seriously I think its somewhat ironic that HD is targeting our web site........
It's because you were pokin around a Harley site recently, that's how ads work, busted! Too funny, bashing away when It was all your dooing. Priceless

·
Registered
341 Posts
Heck, I like Harleys. Actually, bikes are kinda like women - I like'm all. I bought an Indian, not the company (well, I DO own a little stock). If I live long enough I might buy another 1. To me, "Brand Loyalty" is for suckers you've swallowed the Kool-Aid. I always try to buy the best value for my hard-earned dollars. Last time that was, in my mind, my Chieftain. Next time - who knows?

JMHO
BRAVO! Well said brother. But you probably just made your way on to half a dozen ignore lists with that comment. Sad but true

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
Need to instal some type of ad block, I have never seen an add on this site yet.

·
Registered
396 Posts

JMHO
We "vote" with our money. I'd love to own one of just about every motorcycle out there and just because I like Indian motorcycle doesn't mean I hate Harley's. Always evaluating options come purchase time, versus blindly purchasing what we always purchase, is smart.

However, I don't see that to mean that being loyal to Indian as long as they are making a good product ("good" as being defined by the purchaser) is being a "sucker". Also, being loyal to a product doesn't need to be an either-or decision on every purchase. I can vote to keep both of my favorite pizza places open.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
Loyalty last as long as they give you a reason to be loyal.

·
Super Moderator
5,709 Posts
Yup, You are busted. Ads appear according to browsing and interest history.

Need to instal some type of ad block, I have never seen an add on this site yet.
I installed Ad Blocker Plus -

No ads, no sweat. And IT'S FREE

·
Rider
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yup, You are busted. Ads appear according to browsing and interest history.

I installed Ad Blocker Plus -

No ads, no sweat. And IT'S FREE
Hmm if that was the case there'd be a ton of NSFW adds popping up! LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts