Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When coming up to stop or sitting at the lights I'm have trouble getting into neutral . Is anyone else having trouble with this ?

·
Founding member
568 Posts
I have just the opposite problem. I have always come to a stop, left foot down. Light changes, I let out the clutch and go. With my chieftan, when I come to the light downshifting like I always have with other bikes, for some reason it stops in neutral. I'm used to downshifting 3-2-1,then backup to neutral. The chieftan is 3-2-N-1. I can click real HARD and go past N, or do the 3-2-N-1 thing, I just gotta train my brain. Not really a problem, just learning curve.For now, I'm just that bone head at the light ding the funny dance to get going. As far as the gear display, nice to have, but most of the time I can't see it when the sun is out.

I've only had it a couple days, and I love it.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
Most of the time I find neautral before the bike comes to a stop. It slides in easier with the transmission still turning. Also, try giving the throttle a little blip while applying pressure to the shift lever.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Mine shifts into neutral easier than any bike I have ever owned. I think whoever designed the tranny deserves the Noble peace prize. When upshifting from first mine automatically goes to neutral unless I give it that extra "I want second gear" nudge. I had a Baker in my Harley and it was not as nice as the Indian.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Neutral is a bit picky on this one also, suspect some clutch drag. Why in the world are you going into neutral at lights? You can't move quickly if your out of gear flat footed. Just Wonderin'.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
When new my Chieftain was a little stiff in the tranny shifting. After I got about 2K on the bike it really loosened up and got a lot smoother. It seems to me I read somewhere that the tranny really needs a breakin period. I believe it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How many miles do you have on yours? I have found the more miles the motorcycle attains, the easier it is to find "N." That said, I find it easiest to find neutral coming down from second rather than coming up from first.

·
Registered
958 Posts
After leading demo rides and always riding the last bike, I noticed some shifted easier than others. My Chieftain shifts very slick and I have babied it. I never missed a shift on the demo rides both the 14's and 15's. Keep riding it you will get used to it. I know 1 couple on the last demo ride complained about missed shifts, I took the same bike and never missed a shift, but then I ride and Indian all the time. They also bitched about the ride, but there must have been about 500#+ between the two of them and no one else complained about either problem during the two days. In fact other than heat on Roadmaster that was the only complaint I heard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't understand the need to find neutral at lights or stop signs? Now after a couple hundred miles mine has shifted to neutral better, but I've always downshift to first at stop signs and lights so no issues at take off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Neutral is a bit picky on this one also, suspect some clutch drag. Why in the world are you going into neutral at lights? You can't move quickly if your out of gear flat footed. Just Wonderin'.
Once the nearest vehicle behind is completely stopped, I pop into neutral. I spend more time looking behind me when I'm stopped. But otherwise, yeah, ready to move is best.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Long lights and arthritis in my hands have me shifting into Neutral when stopped quite often, however I usually keep my left foot on the floorboard and can shift and go very quickly if needed.

·
Founding member
1,021 Posts
If shifting into neutral is hard a clutch adjustment will turn it to butter. Mine was very hard to find neutral but had the clutch adjusted and BUTTER, instantly.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I concur. I rarely put it neutral at at stop light. You never know when you may have to evade a distracted cager.
The only motorcycle accident I have ever been in (so far) was a distracted cager rear ending me while I was sitting at a light. Now I border on paranoid about the cars behind me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
my roadmaster is a pain in the butt to get into neutral. I was told by my good for nothing dealer, it would get better in time. bull..... a heal shifter has helped but its still not as good as my Ultra or my wing.... but I still love the big pig *ucker

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,086 Posts
I noticed i no longer have this problem after installing a barnett clutch cable. Could be coincidence, but maybe my adjustment was off with the OEM cable...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts