Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with a Big Bore experiencing hard starting? Just took delivery of a 2019 Elite with a Big Bore a installed a few weeks ago and experiencing hard/ no starting issues. It fires right off but seems like 2 nd cylinder doesn’t fire and motor doesn’t catch. This has happened a couple times now. I first thought everything is brand new and tight/ not broken in but three different times this happened on the first start of the day. Once it starts up it runs perfect and starts no problem at all the rest of the day. It’s brand new with about 250 miles on it now. I was going to have them look into it on the 500 mile service but with all the stay at home limited raiding it’s taking a lot longer than anticipated and going to give the dealer a call toda.
any thoughts?
thanks

·
Bronze member
2,660 Posts
This is what I’ve found on my RM (111 with stage 2 cams). Once hitting the on switch I can hear the fuel pump cycling. If I try to start the bike before the fuel pump stops, the bike runs rough and coughs...sometimes stalling out. If it doesn’t stall out, it’ll take a few seconds for that rough idling to go away. If I blip the throttle while it’s running rough, it‘ll often kill the engine. If I wait until the fuel pump finishes cycling, and then start, I never have this issue. Not sure if this is what you’re experiencing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ll give you’re suggestion a try and see what happens. I’ve been trying to diagnose or figure what enable it to start but haven’t really come up with anything that is repeatable

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
I had my BBK installed a few months ago, weather has finally warmed up, and I have experienced exactly what you are. My tune has helped (CraigB) quite a bit, but also will be trying the wicked start battery later in the week to see if helps as well. I think that a bigger cranking amp battery would help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when I first picked it up from the dealer it was slow turning over but started right up. We all just figured it’s really tight and being bigger it just took that much more to turn it over and figured once the motor breaks in a little it would come around only it seems to be getting worse instead of better.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Tuning is key. Mine has had cold-starting issues and backfiring at different times. One mechanical problem (recurrent), is related to keeping intake runners sealed. Mine were left loose on original install of the BBK from dealership. Most all such problems can be tuned out once mechanical is set up perfectly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far, mine has never back fired and once I get it started it runs perfect and will start no problem the rest of the day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Several threads on hard starting 116 BBKs. Here is a thread I posted my saga of a hard to start 116... Throwing codes at start up. Another thread I posted... 116 with updated kit still having problems....

BTW- I run 15W60 oil and a Wicked Start 500CCA battery.
Eeyore, Thank you for the links to your threads. This looks exactly what I have going on. I'm in Western MA and temps are just starting to climb toward 55 - 60 When I have been leaving for a ride having the no start problems it has bee below 50 degrees. The bike is brand new and I had the BBK installed before I took delivery and right now I have just over 200 miles on it. Looks like I'll be visiting my dealer sooner rather than later to start documenting everything.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I too have been having some interesting similarities on my new 2020 RM DH with stage 1 ovals and high flow air. It will try to turn over, then sputter a little and not start, sometimes making a loud clicking sound. When it's doing this behavior I usually try the starter 2-3 more times and then it will sputter to a start and then it's fine.

I have about 1300 miles on it. I mentioned to the service dept when I took it in and the tech said it was not throwing any codes. I have been dealing with it. It has been doing this about 1 in 4 times and mostly in the morning - I am a daily driver.

When it does it I can smell gas like almost like it's flooded. A few severe times I tried to blip the throttle to get it started.

Once it starts it runs great and when running errands and stop / starting several times it seems to do better when it's warm.

Bottom line: I sent a video to the dealer service department and they want me to drop it by for a day end of the week.

I absolutely never experienced this on my 3 previous 111 bikes.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Don't know if this will help ya or not,and this is just a suggestion,but rule of thumb regarding fuel injected vehicles,our bikes included,you do NOT touch the throttle when first starting the machine cause all that does is flood it.The computer handles that,not the operator.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't know if this will help ya or not,and this is just a suggestion,but rule of thumb regarding fuel injected vehicles,our bikes included,you do NOT touch the throttle when first starting the machine cause all that does is flood it.The computer handles that,not the operator.
I’ve always started the newer bikes that way, not touching the throttle and just hitting the start Button. This one with the BBK fires with half a turn then nothing. The starter is also really struggling to turn it over. I’ve tried all kinds of different combinations and the only thing that seems to work with any consist is to crack the throttle while hitting the start button. I relize it goes against the norm but it starts it up. I’m afraid I’m going to trash the starter if I just keep trying to start it without trying something different

·
Registered
350 Posts
Even though mine is the stock 116, this is exactly the behavior my bike is doing. I've had 3 previous Roadmasters (2017 RM Classic, 2018 Icon, 2019) all with the 111 and they started no sweat with 1 push to the start button after the fuel injector does its thing. I'm wondering if this is a 116 thing?

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Just another suggestion,but are you guys sure your battery connections are good and tight,especially the ground connection on the right frame rail?? Mine is just a bone stock 111 and I too had some starting problems [slow cranking] but then discovered that the frame ground was not tight enough!

And my second question: Is this problem hot and or cold weather related,or doesn;'t it make any difference??

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just another suggestion,but are you guys sure your battery connections are good and tight,especially the ground connection on the right frame rail?? Mine is just a bone stock 111 and I too had some starting problems [slow cranking] but then discovered that the frame ground was not tight enough!

And my second question: Is this problem hot and or cold weather related,or doesn;'t it make any difference??
I am an all year long rider in South GA only 60miles from the Florida Line. Never gets 'cold' here.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just picked up the bike from the dealer this afternoon. The tech said that the starter button on the handle bar was intermittently showing the wrong voltage so Polaris told him to replace the whole cube. Glad it wasn't a battery related issue.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
I received my wicked start battery and dropped it in today. Put about 300 miles on today, started the day at 42 degrees, ended 60. Honestly, the new battery + Craigb’s new tune seems to help a lot. So far so good, but time will tell.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I received my wicked start battery and dropped it in today. Put about 300 miles on today, started the day at 42 degrees, ended 60. Honestly, the new battery + Craigb’s new tune seems to help a lot. So far so good, but time will tell.
When you say Craigb’s new tune are you referring to Fuel Moto tuner and fuel maps? I am curious to hear the results others have had going this route. So far, I’ve heard nothing but good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts