Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Springfield With 7700 miles. Yesterday when I started engine it stalled. I restarted and it stalled again. Third time I held a little throttle and it finally settled into normal idle so I took off. Short distance later I noticed check engine light on so returned home. Shut down and waited a minute Restarted normally and no check engine light. So I cleared the check engine code from the display and ride a couple hundred miles with no further problem. Today it started normally and everything seemed normal. Any ideas? Just a fluke?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bone stock. Hadn’t washed it after previous ride either so don’t believe moisture problem. Otherwise this bike has been flawless.

·
Silver member
5,309 Posts
How long had it been prior to riding it the first time? Sometimes if the battery struggles even a pinch it will trigger the check engine light.

I would ride on and keep an eye on your voltage screen at start-up and while idling to insure it is charging correctly....

Reactions: 68Lupe

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
There is a decompression system built into the cams to make turning the motor over a bit easier on the starter. Sometimes that system won't kick into action until the motor has gone through a full rotation and this can cause a minor hiccup. The ecm interprets the harder startup as a fault, perhaps timing or fuelling or knock sensor. That will throw a code but once the motor is up and running there is no further problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a decompression system built into the cams to make turning the motor over a bit easier on the starter. Sometimes that system won't kick into action until the motor has gone through a full rotation and this can cause a minor hiccup. The ecm interprets the harder startup as a fault, perhaps timing or fuelling or knock sensor. That will throw a code but once the motor is up and running there is no further problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How long had it been prior to riding it the first time? Sometimes if the battery struggles even a pinch it will trigger the check engine light.

I would ride on and keep an eye on your voltage screen at start-up and while idling to insure it is charging correctly....
I had ridden a couple hundred miles a couple days prior but I agree, keep an eye on voltage. Doubt if it was low but the starter does draw a lot and it may be enough for the ECM to notice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts