Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Enzo,

Yes, you can but it's not cheap. The mounts and all the hard bags are going to run you around $3000 if you buy stock Indian. I've seen a couple classics with that addition. It looks really good as a bagger. I don't know if that $3k includes wiring for the keyless lock system. I'm saving up to get mine on my classic. I regret not having bags daily.
Cheers!
I hope this helped you.
Dave

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Does anyone know if the hard sided saddle bags on a Roadmaster or Chieftain will easily mount on a Chief Classic. I'm wanting a more secure locking saddle bag set up for an upcoming road trip.
I understand what you are going for here. I'd like to do the same thing myself.
With my skill set I would consider this modification to fall in the "easy" category, all bolt on.
Anytime I don't have to light a torch or string the welding leads....ya know.

But like Dragoon advises, not cheap.
It's also pretty involved.
The spools have to be changed or added and the hard bags sit on the Chieftain mufflers.
So it will require a muffler change too...not just brackets.

I'm going to tackle this thing a little at a time.
I'm going to find a set of Chieftain mufflers and sit on them as I continue to gather bits and pieces.
I just like that phase of the hobby...scouring e-Bay and forums for "take off's"....comes from my swap meet days I think. lol

I have soft bags on my Vintage, so my sense of urgency is different than yours.

Don't ya just love a guy who tells you about a bargain....right after you have already bought something?
A month or so ago I was at a dealership checking on some unrelated stuff.
While my bike was back there in the service department I asked them to tighten up my highway pegs.
What?
My Cheap Charlie aftermarket pegs are stripped out?
How could that be? I paid fifty bucks for them!

The Service Manager tells me that they have a wreck repair job going and the insurance adjuster told them to replace anything with a flaw.
Long story short....I picked up a nice pair of those Indian highway pegs for a C-note.
I should have asked about the saddlebags...damn it...I should have asked.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone know whose bike this is? I'm curious to ask about his experience mounting Chieftain Bags on A Chief Classic.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
But like Dragoon advises, not cheap.
It's also pretty involved.
The spools have to be changed or added and the hard bags sit on the Chieftain mufflers.
So it will require a muffler change too...not just brackets.
I didn't know about the muffler rebuild. But that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Anyone who lives close to San Antonio needs to get in touch with Leatherlyke Corporation. They make aftermarket bags for various bikes. I had a friend who had them on a Yamaha and they looked and worked well. They were top locking and were water resistant. Perhaps they need a loaner bike to make another product line.

Leatherlyke riding luggage
30130 Bulverde Lane
Bulverde, TX 78163
800-594-2008

This is a statement from their page...
Do you live in the San Antonio, TX area? If so, we offer discounts to customers that let us use their bike to do fit ups for new bag models. Please contact us for further details.

(Hmmmmm.... I need some kickback for the marketing!!!!! :cool: )

To give you an idea of their work.... goto Motorcycle Saddlebags - Luggage | LeatherLyke Riding Luggage: Hard Locking Motorcycle Saddle Bags, Sissy bar bag

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
24 Posts
Talking to a dealer at a bike show last January. He told me he's had people swap the Chieftain hard bags and seat for the Vintage leather bags and seat. Didn't say what happened to the original Chieftain bags.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was at the Indian Dealership in St. Paul, MN and they had a custom paint job Chief Classic with locking hard bags. They said they did a custom paint job (with gold leaf detailing) , replaced the mufflers, added the Chieftain bags, replaced the tank harness (with the locking button), changed out the key fob, wiring, all for the low, low, low price of $4,000.

It seems you have to pay to play!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same idea, and the dealer said the same, the bags sit on the exhaust. If all it takes is a chieftain exhaust, that would be simple, too simple. ( I wouldn't do the key-less entry, as I would be riding with the bags off most of the time, just like to have the hard bags on from time to time for trips )

I just bought a dark horse, but dealer is 8 hours away, so if someone can double check and see if its as simple as installing a chieftain exhaust let us know,

Thanks

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
I had the same idea, and the dealer said the same, the bags sit on the exhaust. If all it takes is a chieftain exhaust, that would be simple, too simple. ( I wouldn't do the key-less entry, as I would be riding with the bags off most of the time, just like to have the hard bags on from time to time for trips )

I just bought a dark horse, but dealer is 8 hours away, so if someone can double check and see if its as simple as installing a chieftain exhaust let us know,

Thanks
@ChiefPaPa has done a few hardbag DH and he'll chime in. You need the bags, mounting hardware (brackets and spools), and an RM/CT exhaust. And keys for the bags. Note, the brackets on the exhaust are welded, big and ugly, so riding without the bags might not be eye-pleasing.

Look at the thread I started a few days ago on my bag install on a Vintage. @enzo5000 here has done the same.

It's easy, but not cheap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, Megg,

I'll try to navigate to your install, Just joined and still trying to figure out how to surf the site. :)

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks, Megg,

I'll try to navigate to your install, Just joined and still trying to figure out how to surf the site. :)
Installing the bags is a breeze. Acquiring all the parts is the hard (expensive) part. eBay is a good place to source the actual bags and pipes. As Meggie said, you'll need:

Chieftain/RM or compatible aftermarket exhaust pipes.

Chieftain/RM mounting spools.

Chieftain/RM Saddlebags.

Locks and or Fob re-keyed to match if you want remote opening bags.
corbin.2.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the info, greatly appreciate it :)

I do plan on getting an aftermarket pipe/pipes ( interested in Dirty Birds 2-1 peace pipe - which would alleviate any issues with exhaust touching any bag. lol
But still like the classic look of the duel exhaust :S

Bags, and Spools are the easy part ( expensive but easy )

Now to just get my bike, and bags, then I can begin my customization :)

Thanks Megg, Enzo, you've been a big help :)

Cheers,
Dann
peacepipe.jpg

·
6,027 Posts
Installing the bags is a breeze. Acquiring all the parts is the hard (expensive) part. eBay is a good place to source the actual bags and pipes. As Meggie said, you'll need:

Chieftain/RM or compatible aftermarket exhaust pipes.

Chieftain/RM mounting spools.

Chieftain/RM Saddlebags.

Locks and or Fob re-keyed to match if you want remote opening bags.

As well as Strut Cover, part 5139599-156.

·
6,027 Posts

I do plan on getting an aftermarket pipe/pipes ( interested in Dirty Birds 2-1 peace pipe - which would alleviate any issues with exhaust touching any bag. lol

Cheers,
Dann
View attachment 14543
@enzo5000 was the original and got me all the info to do it, so look for his original posts. As far as combination with the DB exhaust, I am wondering what they've done to secure the bags on the bottom.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Cheers,
Dann
View attachment 14543
Rock,
Per your previous inquiry, It is as easy as having to get a chieftain exhaust and mounting on your bike. Bigger spools for the bags and you are in. Just a thought for those reading this, that if you then want to get a backrest/sissy bar for your Classic/vintage, then you have to get the chieftain rest as it matches the bigger spools that you just put on.

As far as the DB's, what makes the chieftain exhaust necessary is that the bags rest on the actual pipe and there is a small bracket that they rest on; what Megg is referring to in her recent post. I am pretty sure this is for structural integrity and wonder if once the bags are loaded and taking bumps, if there won't be crack point at the quick tatch latch in the bags if it is just resting there. Might be over engineered, but better than seeing your bag pass you. Just a thought. The DB's look awesome and sound great, but wonder about longevity of the bags not supported. Food for thought.

I have done this to my Vintage and just looking for the bags via a dealer take off etc. Chieftain Stage 1's into whale tales and spools. Real simple but as enzo said, getting the bags will be the hardest part.

·
Registered
949 Posts
So did anyone ever figure out what DB did to support the hardbags with their exhaust? Is it unsupported?

I would love getting hard bags in the future, but for me to get rid of my slip-ons to get chieftain slip-ons...ehhhh...

·
Registered
151 Posts
I got two brackets with my DB's that I think may be to hold the bottom of the bags. As I have a Vintage I didn't use them. I also want to change to hard bags but would like to be able to change back to the leather ones also.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts