Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else having issues with their Chieftain Classics shifting hard or not at all into second gear? I have a 2018 Chieftain Classic and for some reason if I don't let the bike warm up for at least 5 minutes, I have to apply a lot of "up" pressure on the gear shift to get it to go into 2nd gear. Before I ride 60 miles to the dealer I was hoping some of y'all had similar issues.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think a lot of 111s are like that, adjust clutch if that dont help then spend 100 bucks on that Barnett clutch arm and it helps bunches
It seems it only does it when it's around 50 degrees or colder out. It was/is frustrating trouble shooting everything when it first happened, and when I called the dealer the mech was like.....um..ah...yeah.. never heard of that type of problem.

·
Rider
979 Posts
@GunnyBB They all do it. I had the same problem with my 19. Warmup helps also squeeze the and release the clutch lever a few times while it is warming up helps. Just squeeze the clutch and do not shift it while warming up.

After about the 1st Qtr mile my bike is fine even in 20 and below weather.

·
Rider
1,153 Posts
I dont think they all do it.
My 19 Chieftain DH doesnt do it.
My clutch is adjusted well which if adjustment is out could be a contributing factor.
When the bike was absolutely new it was difficult to find neutral at any temp and now it has 4000 plus is no issue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@GunnyBB They all do it. I had the same problem with my 19. Warmup helps also squeeze the and release the clutch lever a few times while it is warming up helps. Just squeeze the clutch and do not shift it while warming up.

After about the 1st Qtr mile my bike is fine even in 20 and below weather.
The first couple of times it did it, it reminded me of the issues I had with my street glide. So I said a few curse words..lol No issues when it's warmed up like you said. My dealer wants me to bring it in anyway to check the entire drive train out.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,072 Posts
The first couple of times it did it, it reminded me of the issues I had with my street glide. So I said a few curse words..lol No issues when it's warmed up like you said. My dealer wants me to bring it in anyway to check the entire drive train out.
I'd say take it in. My 19 has never done that. If they can fix it, then great! If not, then at least you can accept it as normal and then try the other options mentioned above.

·
Banned
4,926 Posts
Sometimes my '15 doesn't like to shift 1st to 2nd, but only on the first shift of the day. My cure; Start bike, put helmet on, put bike in 2nd gear and roll out of the garage to end of the driveway and stop, shift down to 1st gear and go on my way. Once I leave the driveway shifting from 1st to 2nd works just fine. Weird butt true.

·
Rider
974 Posts
Mine does it also especially when cold, despite a 5 min or more warm-up (and I mean warming up the bike and my knees and ankles).
I adjusted the cable, with no more free play on the lever, afraid to adjust further, it'll start slipping. Seems these bikes do that, it's one of the things that sucks on these otherwise great bkes.
Probably the mech that told you he never heard of this was hired a couple of days prior and has never worked on Indians.

·
Rider
974 Posts
Very common issue. When my bike is cold and it’s cold outside, simply pull in the clutch after firing up and do a quick 1-2-1 gear change before you roll out. Problem solved.
That would be great if it solves the issue. I will def. try it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Same on my 17 Springfield. Not an issue for me though. It's just the first shift of the day. once warmed up a minute or two or once I get going it shifts normally. I do have a bit more trouble finding neutral on this bike though. I think that's just the bike.

·
Rider
974 Posts
But to answer the OP's question, is don't take it to the dealer especially if their mech is saying he never heard of it.
Check how much free play on your clutch lever, if enough maybe adjust the cable a little. If no play, then try what the other members have been doing to remedy this issue that usually resolves after the first couple of shifts anyway.

·
Bronze member
3,393 Posts
mine does it sometimes... sometimes it's very easy to miss second gear and end up in neutral too... I never really thought anything was wrong... it shifts just like my Victory did... so everything seems normal to me..

Reactions: GunnyBB

·
Silver member
5,027 Posts
They all seem to do that on a cold day when they are low mileage bike? How many miles on your bike. Mine stopped that habit after about 5-6K miles. Since then I have added another 25K without issue. I think it is that straight cut 1st to 2nd helicoil cut that creates the issue. Plus they are just tight tolerances when new. Some good break-in and it should go away.

I admit it used to freak me out too. I would clutch it two or three times on that first shift when it felt hard to shift, but like other have stated after the first or second shift of the day the problem would go away...

·
Bronze member
2,002 Posts
It seems it only does it when it's around 50 degrees or colder out. It was/is frustrating trouble shooting everything when it first happened, and when I called the dealer the mech was like.....um..ah...yeah.. never heard of that type of problem.
BS

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 19 Chieftain Classic has the same behavior in cold(er) weather. I engage/disengage the clutch 5-6 times while the bike is warming up and that helps. Even if I don't do that, it shifts fine after 1/10 of a mile or so.

I figure I'll have my dealer look at it with my next service visit. Granted the temps will be warm and the hard shifting probably won't occur, but at least it'll be documented.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts