Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Folks,

I am Jay from UK, got a chief vintage 2015 model.

I am trying to get oem hard saddlebags from cheftain 2019 model to fit into my vintage

Parts i am sourcing is as follows

Struts, Spools, Mufflers, Hard saddle bag with keys, wiring, locks from chieftain 2019 model

am i good to go?

I did spent time reading most threads about this conversion. But not clear with couple of things

Should i be able to fit my stock passenger seat and 14' sissy bar after fitting chieftain hard saddle bags with above parts?

Answers to above two queries will be much appreciated

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
They should be compatible, but it boils down to correct spools. There is more than one design for 2019 bags, and more than one style of spool. Obviously must be sized correctly for both parts you are mounting.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Probably (?) your sissy bar won't fit on the spools you need for those bags. The Chieftain and other hard bag models have a different spool than the soft bag models. You might be able to make an adapter if you're handy. Why they did two different sizes of spool no one knows.

If we were talking about two 2015 models, I could tell you for sure on the spools. I haven't seen a 2019 and don't know if they have retained the sizing on the hard bag mounting brackets.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i've read conflicting info about the mufflers... from the pics i've seen, the feet on the bottom of the bags do the work, and may only need spacers for our pipes. just to keep cost down, definitely something to double check. thinking about it myself, but then i bought the Viking bags for nothing.. lol.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
The hard bags have a rubber base that must have a corresponding perch to sit on... The pipes themselves will be too hot for the foot rubber material without an air space and metal shield of sorts. The bags obviously must also be secured up top though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wonder if there's some way to get around that with the rubber feet (removing the rubber for something else, maybe)... not that i'm terribly concerned; the more i read about the conversion, the more it sounds like a $2k or so job. better than the dealer wanting $6k, tho.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
The 2019 spool has the same outside diameter bush as the earlier Chieftain spools. The Vintage sissy bar bracket uses a different diameter to my recollection. Strike one! Maybe can get Vintage spools?
However. there is a 1.5mm difference in the inside diameter of that spool for bag fitment. At least some also have a security bolt in the place of the earlier quick-disconnect rubber plug. You may have to use the 2019 special bolts to mount up your bags. Strike two!
You may just need the Vintage spools for your top mounted accessories - or trade out those accessories.
I concur, Why did the engineers have to mess with the sizes of these parts? They should be standardized to help us get some better use out of our expensive add-on parts.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
I hav
I wonder if there's some way to get around that with the rubber feet (removing the rubber for something else, maybe)... not that i'm terribly concerned; the more i read about the conversion, the more it sounds like a $2k or so job. better than the dealer wanting $6k, tho.
I have seen the results of omitting the rubber feet and subsequent clumsy handling of the parts... not pretty for your rear fender paint-job.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
I believe I also recall someone on this site turning out their own custom sized plastic bushings. This might be a way around buying the extra spool kits at $100 a set.

·
Registered
89 Posts
69257809_2159318117530926_6262961980072525824_n.jpg
Hi, I'm not sure about the 2019 bikes but this is what I did for my

2015 Indian Chief Classic in order to mount 2017 Chieftain Hardbags on it:

I documented the following and posted it at conversion time... over 6 months ago and I have not had a single problem.

Going from Chief/Vintage Leather Bags to Chieftain Hardbags

1. You do not need to change out your Vintage exhaust, You just need to lower the Hardbag perches/feet so that they sit on the Vintage Exhaust, Don’t worry, the rubber will not melt.

2. You will need the larger Chieftain Spools if you want a quick disconnect feature or you can go with Osprey Spools that do not have a quick disconnect feature.

3. Vintage Fender Struts can be used with the Chieftain Spools but the spools will stick out about 3/16 of an inch more because the Chieftain Spools will be mounted on top of the Vintage Struts. If you get Chieftain Fender Struts, The spools will go through the Strut and mount directly to the frame. See picture of the Vintage and Chieftain Strut covers together, You will see that the Vintage Strut Spool holes are much smaller and accept a mounting bolt. The Chieftain Strut Spool holes are much larger than the Vintage ones and they do not have a Bolt mounting area.

4. You will need (8) M6 100 30 bolts,

5. You will need (8) 1/2 inch chrome spacers,

6. You will need (8) Stainless Steel Flat Washers for the inside of the bag.

7. You need to make (4) plates 1/8 in. thick by 1 in. wide x 2 in. long for the bottom of the bags to go between the spacers and the bag itself.

8. All the above steps (5 – 7) will basically lower the bag perches/feet by 5/8 of an inch in order for the perches/feet to rest on the exhaust.

9. I purchased all the hardware from Lowes and Home Depot.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys,

tribalroadking, say if i use chieftain spools and struts then i dont have to follow steps (5 - 7) ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks guys,

tribalroadking, say if i use chieftain spools and struts then i dont have to follow steps (5 - 7) ?
I used Chieftain Spools and the Chieftain Struts and I did steps 5 thru 7..... This was necessary for me because I am using Chief Classic Exhaust which does not have the metal tabs on them like the Chieftain

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, also from pic noticed you didnt had passenger seat.

Take it vintage passenger seat wont fit it in any more as some user suggested and also sissy bar will not fit through.

Looks like daunting task job for me as i am quite new to bike stuff ...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ok, also from pic noticed you didnt had passenger seat.

Take it vintage passenger seat wont fit it in any more as some user suggested and also sissy bar will not fit through.

Looks like daunting task job for me as i am quite new to bike stuff ...
I have a passenger seat and it fits fine.... I just have to remove my rack and install it.

Because I am using the Chieftain Strut covers and the Chieftain Spools, If I ever wanted to buy and install a detachable passenger backrest, I would need to buy the Chieftain version of the backrest and not the Chief/Vintage version because the Chief/Vintage version has Spools that are a smaller diameter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts