Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Chieftain and use soft lowers in colder weather. How do the Indian hard lowers compare? How are they in warmer weather?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I didn’t have the hard lowers on for long. I believe it’s about the same. Great in winter. Summer heat is almost unbearable sometimes, because it directs hot air in a weird way. I went back to using the soft lowers because it’s less hassle installing and removing them at will. I had dirtybirdconcepts lowers, those bad boys could survive a nuclear bombing but they were a pain to mount. I believe they have a new version that can hold an 8” speaker and may be a better fit. Plus they don’t require a mustache style highway bar.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I have a 2017 Chieftain and use soft lowers in colder weather. How do the Indian hard lowers compare? How are they in warmer weather?
I have '17 RM. The hard lowers are nice until the temp gets up into the 90's and above. Having a gutted cat helps, but it is still an air-cooled engine. On really hot days, sitting at a light, you can feel the heat start to build up, and then you can feel it get blown away when you start moving. Once the ambient temps get up over 90, I usually take the lowers off (July and August) unless I am making a long trip.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
I have used both. In the cold weather the hard lowers do a better job keeping air off your legs. It's true they take a bit longer to mount and dismount but they really aren't that bad. Only downfall is you need to change to the mustache bars to use them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts