Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Not sure if it’s just me, but I find it uncomfortable riding with soft lowers. The toes of my boots hit the lowers and I feel like I can’t get my foot under the shifter properly.
I'm with you 5'8" and 32 inseam. My main problem with them is wind. I've had gusts of wind push my front tire around when in windy conditions and when it's raining..... lets just say my soft lowers almost ended up in the ditch.

Personally I'm looking for more hard lowers which offer more aerodynamics and less drag.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I added the JTD hard lowers . These are installed with the standard Indian highway engine bar , so no need for the Mustache bar .
It is no question that the hard lowers are much more comfortable to the rider … no wind , no rain hitting your legs , it is the perfect solution , but it will cost . The problem with the JTD lowers is that you have to have them painted to match the bike`s paint . If you have a standard paint like black, white , etc , you can save a lot of money doing it yourself if you are a little handy and get regular color paint . I , on the other hand , have the Silver smoke Matte paint on my bike , so I had to order the Indian special paint / clear coat that it is expensive and then have a professional paint shop do the job . It requires a special mixing instructions , etc so it has to be done right with the right equipment . The whole thing , including lowers , paint and paint job went for around $800.00 total .
I think it is worth it if you want comfort on riding .

·
Bronze member
2,503 Posts
I added the JTD hard lowers . These are installed with the standard Indian highway engine bar , so no need for the Mustache bar .
It is no question that the hard lowers are much more comfortable to the rider … no wind , no rain hitting your legs , it is the perfect solution , but it will cost . The problem with the JTD lowers is that you have to have them painted to match the bike`s paint . If you have a standard paint like black, white , etc , you can save a lot of money doing it yourself if you are a little handy and get regular color paint . I , on the other hand , have the Silver smoke Matte paint on my bike , so I had to order the Indian special paint / clear coat that it is expensive and then have a professional paint shop do the job . It requires a special mixing instructions , etc so it has to be done right with the right equipment . The whole thing , including lowers , paint and paint job went for around $800.00 total .

they look good... and your price is still cheaper than going Indian OEM... I guess I'm just curious if a guy bought the lowers that have the speaker holes in them... could you buy the amp for the saddle bag speakers to use?

·
Registered
946 Posts
My guess is that you either choose to order the speakers holes or the covered compartment with the key . It is a choice . The space is the same . I chose the compartment with the key . The amp for the saddle bags have nothing to do with the lowers , but , I think that you can extend the amp connections from the saddlebags to connect it to the speakers on the lowers ... I don`t see any problem with that , only that then you would not be able to have the saddlebag speakers connected .

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't think you can get the old style Roadmaster lowers anymore... unless you buy used... the new style takes the new style crash bar... as far as taking them off or putting them on it can't be any worse than the Indian soft lowers it's only 3 bolts per side... I just spent a half hour last night putting my soft lowers on until next summer... if you go soft lowers I would recommend something other than Indians... my buddy has after market soft lowers (don't know the brand) but he can put his on or take them off in 5 minutes total... so he carries them even in the summer for rain protection (we both hate wet feet)… I don't like I said it's a half hour of cussing so once it gets below 50 at night they stay on until it is above 50 at night..
Man they are awful to put on . I have to prepare myself mentally before i do it or not good at all!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

how was the install? do the zip ties work as well as the videos show?

·
Bronze member
2,631 Posts
E bay had the lowers for under a 100 bucks,so I bought a pair for my vintage.they were nice for the cold or rain,nothing better,but a lot of engine noise is reflected back to the rider.so I got rid of those in favor of the soft lowers.i don't care for those at all,not enough room for your feet.and chaps,those are just a pain and you look like one of the village people in the bar.so I cut off the bottom of my chaps and made like boot protectors out of the bottoms.they go from my knee to my boots.and I can get money out of my pockets with out break dancing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Beware when ordering "mustache bars" for the hard lowers if you go that route. The "front highway bar" is the one needed that accepts the hard factory lowers not the "mustache bars" see pics
Screenshot_20200118-175629_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200118-175646_Chrome.jpg

·
Rider
555 Posts
I just bought these off Ebay for about 1/2 price. It's the exact color I need so I save on having it painted. This new style attaches to mustache bar #2884063-156

·
Rider
740 Posts
Yeah when they made the new lowers they redesigned the crash bar too. Of course this was because they wanted anyone who wants the new style to have to buy another bar as well. I personally don't like the fact that the new bar cuts through the glove boxes and reduces the storage area. I have also heard the airflow isn't that much better. Let us know what you think about them.

·
Bronze member
2,631 Posts
I lost the left one on mine after hitting a supersingle retread laying in the middle of the hwy.it must have flipped up and took the lower fairing off ,as it was so fast I didn't see it.but my foot hurt like hell.glad I had it on there..my fairing and that retread were taking cars out real steady.it was rush hour going through Chicago.

·
Rider
555 Posts
Well, since the Chinese Virus has caused a massive shutdown in NY, I figured I'd get the ol' girl out of storage and put on the lowers. Of course, tomorrow we're supposed to get 5+" of snow here (God I hate NY).

Couple observations:
o) The new style engine guard is ugly. If I was running the bike with just the guards, I would keep the original.
o) The new engine guard is much lighter than the original and because it comes in 2 pieces, much easier to install.
o) Installing the lowers was easy after I realized I should "form" the clamps to the bar before installing. The 1st half took me a half hour and was a PIA. The 2nd half, after "forming" (see pic 4) the clamps, literally took 5 minutes and was really easy.
o) Using a leather lower was fine but there were times it was a pain. Now I don't have to carry anything and have extra storage space. I actually like the looks. My neighbor thought I got a different bike because it looks bigger.

All in all, happy with the install and the ease of use. These should come in really handy when I ride out West and the weather/temperature varies so much. On my last ride, I went from 104 in Moab to low 40's and hail at the Grand Canyon. The year before, I rode in the high 20's in the Rocky Mountains. I wish I had these then!

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG

21 - 40 of 41 Posts