Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do hard lowers only work with a mustache bars?

I've been looking for some closeout options since winter in approaching, but i have the standard Highway bars. I think my only option may be soft lowers/closeouts

·
Registered
55 Posts

I've been looking for some closeout options since winter in approaching, but i have the standard Highway bars. I think my only option may be soft lowers/closeouts
My dealer told me the same thing.

·
Registered
466 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts

If you have a closer look at my avatar, you will see that I had exchanged my standard Chieftain bars for mustache bars with soft closers. This protection fits me in summer and during winter seasons too. It allows a good Air flow to refresh the engine.
You could read on many posts that RM owners take off their hard lowers in summer time and it is not with a so quick fixation system to take off.
Some said that the new 2019 RM hard lowers is no better than the past one regarding fresh air flow circulation. To be checked.

·
Bronze member
2,503 Posts
I don't think you can get the old style Roadmaster lowers anymore... unless you buy used... the new style takes the new style crash bar... as far as taking them off or putting them on it can't be any worse than the Indian soft lowers it's only 3 bolts per side... I just spent a half hour last night putting my soft lowers on until next summer... if you go soft lowers I would recommend something other than Indians... my buddy has after market soft lowers (don't know the brand) but he can put his on or take them off in 5 minutes total... so he carries them even in the summer for rain protection (we both hate wet feet)… I don't like I said it's a half hour of cussing so once it gets below 50 at night they stay on until it is above 50 at night..

·
Rider
362 Posts
I lean more tord the engine guard covers cause I can keep'm in my saddle bag in case I hit rain

And it may be cold in the AM and hot in the PM - but you can't take the hard covers off in 2 minutes and throw them in your saddlebags like you can with the soft lowers.

·
Registered
466 Posts

Have a look at Hopnel Pac-A-Derm on Indian Chieftain (different versions available)

here is one in photos attached and a new version in the link

BLACK CLASSIC PAC-A-DERMS

Attachments

·
Registered
894 Posts
I’ve always pulled the lowers off my Harleys and left them off never cared for them especially in the summer to damn hot. Chaps on and off in 2 minutes lol

·
Bronze member
2,503 Posts
I don't mind chaps when I'm just out cruising... but I commute to work and it's a pain in the ass to find some place to hang them... otherwise chaps to me are the better way to go...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure if it’s just me, but I find it uncomfortable riding with soft lowers. The toes of my boots hit the lowers and I feel like I can’t get my foot under the shifter properly.

·
Bronze member
1,023 Posts
Not sure if it’s just me, but I find it uncomfortable riding with soft lowers. The toes of my boots hit the lowers and I feel like I can’t get my foot under the shifter properly.
@Dpet88 Just out of curiosity how tall are you and what's your inseam? I believe these cockpits have a 'body range' that fit some more comfortably than others.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Dpet88 Just out of curiosity how tall are you and what's your inseam? I believe these cockpits have a 'body range' that fit some more comfortably than others.
6’
32” inseam
Size 11 boot

I opted for an extended range seat because I felt cramped after coming off a Victory Cross country

·
Bronze member
1,023 Posts
6’ 32”. Size 11 boot

I opted for an extended range seat because I felt cramped after coming off a Victory Cross country
I'm finding riders in the 5'8" to just under 6' with 30' to 32" inseam hit the Indian design demographic. Others feel like they are either reaching too much or need more space to stretch out.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I added a mustache bar and Indian hard lowers to my 17 Chieftain and am very happy with them. I was in Vegas this summer and temps reached 117F and as long as I was moving I didn't have any problem. But just sitting in Vegas traffic in that heat had me out of the city in a matter of hours.In other words, I just leave them on year round.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts