Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks just got a 2018 Chief and wanting to put hard bags on it the dealer told me to do that would be around 6000.00 I call bs but don't know any help would be appreciated.Thanks

·
Rider
1,119 Posts
I’ve heard they are very expensive, don’t know about 6000 but I think that may be close. Someone with a better idea will likely chime in. The mufflers are different between the chief and the bikes that take the hard bags so it’s not just the bags that they’re likely quoting you on. New slip ons I’m guessing is part of that quote.
Check eBay, or keep an eye on the parts for sale section they come up once in a while.
found one on eBay that includes the mufflers. May not be the color your looking for but likely cheaper to get them painted.
Not affiliated with the listing.

·
Bronze member
2,163 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you’re having a dealer do it and using all new Indian branded parts then $6000 probably sounds about right from a dealer. Buying the bags alone from Indian prices are pretty steep, around $800-1000(depending on color) per bag for just the bottom part, another $500-700 for each lid, then ya still have the lock mechanisms, hinges, exhaust change to have the mount tabs, and a few other bits.

There are ways to do it cheaper though. If you pick up a used setup, you could get lucky and get a decent price for most or all of it, might even be in the right color so you don’t have to worry about paint. There’s also options for eBay bags, they’re off brand copies of the indian ones for a whole lot cheaper. There’s also workarounds for the exhaust mounts, spools, etc.

So basically if you want actual Indian parts then yes it’s going to be expensive, moreso if you have the dealer put it all together or use new parts bought from Indian. There’s plenty of threads on here about doing the swap though so you can easily figure out a cheaper way.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Check out the Chief and the Vintage folders. I know that there are several folks that have added hard bags and there is a lot of specific info about how they did it and what it cost them.

·
Bronze member
3,350 Posts
ebay or amazon... TMC makes them for about 800 bucks a pair... but like BHIvr says check out the other folders...

·
Bronze member
5,083 Posts
The cost issue with adding hard bags reflects Indian's policy of separating things like this between spare parts and accessories.

When you buy an accessory you get the whole deal, the item complete with all the fittings, bolts, etc. Then they have their spare parts listings, which is where each component has it's own part number and is sold separately.

Indian sells leather bags as accessories, and you get both bags under the single part number (although you have to also buy the fitting kit for your bike). However, they sell the hard bags as spare parts, so each hinge, each lock, each fitting lever, they are all separate parts. It's when those parts are added up that they get to that $6,000 mark.

We've got a few riders here in Australia who have bought the cheaper ebay hard bags as complete sets. They've spoken well of the quality and they have been a fraction of Indian's price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts