Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m wondering I could get away with using hardbags on a Chief with no brackets on the exhaust. I know it wouldn’t be ideal, but they’re primarily there for the rubber pads to rest on to cut down on vibration and to keep the pads from directly contacting the hot pipes, right? Could you feasibly use the stock chief pipes with the hardbags and either simply let the rubber pads rest on the pipes or stick something else between the pad and the pipe?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think the hard bags would fall off as they don’t have the hook on them to sit behind the lip of the spool like they do with the leather bags, the rubber pad is curved on the pipes so the hard bags sit there and do not move when the bags are locked into the spool.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the hard bags would fall off as they don’t have the hook on them to sit behind the lip of the spool like they do with the leather bags, the rubber pad is curved on the pipes so the hard bags sit there and do not move when the bags are locked into the spool.
Yes, I agree they’d probably rattle off eventually without the pads, but I’m curious as to whether the the bags that *do* have pads will be okay without the brackets on top of the exhaust... honestly that bracket only sits probably 3/8 of an inch above the pipe, if that, so I feel like those pads could still rest on the pipes themselves... they could possibly even be extended down by means of a nut between the bottom of the bag and the pad itself as a spacer...

·
Registered
126 Posts
You could purchase a set of the Osprey spools that bolt the bags to the bike, rather than use the stock spools / locking levers.

·
Bronze member
3,159 Posts
go to the vintage forum and search... there is a company that makes them work. Or just make them non-quick release bolt them straight on.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes I am going to make them non release/bolt on directly.

Contacting Osprey right now to see if they have an option. Dirty Bird has some, but you have to take off the rear bumper to install them O(which is a LOT of work).

·
Registered
147 Posts
As far as rattling off, doesn't the Springfield have the hard bags without the lips and uses the same type attachment system?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
As far as rattling off, doesn't the Springfield have the hard bags without the lips and uses the same type attachment system?
No, it doesn't......Don't mess with the design, it is there for a reason. Do you believe your idea is better than the engineers that designed it? Spend the money and do it right.
The hard bags more likely than not will crack and/or break off if not supported properly.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Some.People extend the rubber piece down so it touches the pipe. If you don't have custom pjpes, factory take off pipes are inexpensive.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
They need proper support ESPECIALLY when weight is added and youll melt the rubber. I'm with @aussiekeeper , unless your an engineer, let the pros fiqure out the how and why.
As we used to say in the Navy, that's above your pay grade.

·
Registered
147 Posts
They need proper support ESPECIALLY when weight is added and youll melt the rubber. I'm with @aussiekeeper , unless your an engineer, let the pros fiqure out the how and why.

Thanks for the thoughts, defiantly not smarter than their engineers ;-) . I am also Navy, 21 years. (As a matter of fact I am an engineer and former test pilot, but just an operator now for a very long time). I will be using heat resistance material and have them rest on the pipes (probably with some downward pressure), which is basically what the designed ones do with brackets. I may design an attached bracket if I don't think it will work or rattling/moving around occurs. This really is fairly straightforward and I really enjoy doing this type of stuff. BTW I'm NOT the first to do this.

·
Founding member
445 Posts
The Vintage bags have rubber supports on the inside of the leather bags that rest against the fenders. This keeps them from moving around while riding.

The hard bags have a larger capacity and can hold more weight, so they are supported by the rubber pads on the bottom of the bags that rest against the muffler brackets as seen on the Chieftain models. If you use the hard bags without the proper support on the bottom of the bags, the bags will move around while being suspended by only the top spools. This will either cause the latches to loosen up, causing the bag to fall off, or cause the plastic that the hard bags are made of to crack.

If you make spacers to get the rubber supports on the hard bags to rest on the Vintage mufflers, the heat will eventually damage the rubber supports enough, so they shrink in size and lose contact with the mufflers, resulting in the same scenario I described above.

I converted the leather bags on my Vintage to hard bags years ago, so I have experience with this project. You can pick up some Chieftain stock mufflers for about $100.00 or less, so it's not worth experimenting with a half assed modification, in my opinion.

Reactions: ZaboAA

·
Rider
643 Posts
Extend the bags down with spacers...if your worried about the heat use a piece of heat barrier cloth under footpad. Brackets don’t do much and they get as hot as pipe does. Here are my hard bags in my Chief with aftermarket pipes...no shelf to rest on. Used the Osprey spools. Solid as a rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,203 Posts
Extend the bags down with spacers...if your worried about the heat use a piece of heat barrier cloth under footpad. Brackets don’t do much and they get as hot as pipe does. Here are my hard bags in my Chief with aftermarket pipes...no shelf to rest on. Used the Osprey spools. Solid as a rock.

I did the same 6 weeks back ... so far so good! (the bottom of the bags is supported and has the same distance to the mufflers as if there were tabs)

I will check the condition of the rubber isolators in the next few days (after fully removing the bags) and report back ...

·
Registered
2 Posts

Where can I get a bracket like that ?
I currently trying to put hard bags bike

·
Bronze member
2,376 Posts
I did the same 6 weeks back ... so far so good! (the bottom of the bags is supported and has the same distance to the mufflers as if there were tabs)

I will check the condition of the rubber isolators in the next few days (after fully removing the bags) and report back ...
Good idea about the heat barrier cloth. You can buy a large roll of exhaust heat wrap on Amazon for about $12.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts