Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading a ton of messages about using jacks to lift the Chief. I have seen all the messages on the expensive jacks and how you can buy adapters that (only ) work on their specific jacks, so that is not an option. I have a Harbor freight jack that I have had for many years and it has worked perfectly to lift my Yamaha Roadstar and my wifes Suzuki M109R that I had for 18 and 11 years. While I cannot speak about the new Harbor freight jacks I can say that the one I have is very sturdy and secure.

What I am looking for is pictures of the mods that other riders have done to their jacks for lifting the chiefs. I have read of some that modified the sears jack but most of the pictures will not load (I am guessing they have been removed)?

Thank you
John

·
Registered
31 Posts
John, are you talking about the small HF lift or the larger table lift? I just bought the latter a few weeks ago when they had them on sale for $279 and it lifts both chief and harley very well. IIRC, the smaller lift had the same weight rating as the table, just not as much real estate.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John, are you talking about the small HF lift or the larger table lift? I just bought the latter a few weeks ago when they had them on sale for $279 and it lifts both chief and harley very well. IIRC, the smaller lift had the same weight rating as the table, just not as much real estate.
I have the smaller lift (not enough space in the garage for the table lift).

John

·
Bronze member
1,315 Posts
Sorry no pics. But all I do is lay 2 pieces of 3/4" cube stock wood across the lift, start lifting, adjust, and up she goes. I use Pine because it's soft wood.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the smaller lift (not enough space in the garage for the table lift).
John
Copy that John. I have to use the table lift as full time parking for one of the bikes, so it's always occupied.
Now I understand your question. In the past I did what thebru does, using various length boards. It worked, but I never felt completely safe with an 800lb bike on there.

Curious if there is a solution for you other than getting the table lift and keeping a car outside!

·
Registered
373 Posts
How far apart are those doorstops front to back(center of bolt to center of bolt)? What part of the underside of the bike do they rest on? I ask because I need to put some on my HF lift....

Four doorstops work like a champ. My Chieftain is very stable with this setup.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Are the ones you used similar to these

Tire Automotive tire Product Text Wheel

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,878 Posts
How far apart are those doorstops front to back(center of bolt to center of bolt)? What part of the underside of the bike do they rest on? I ask because I need to put some on my HF lift....
Put them on the jack, put the jack under the bike, lift it up and test stability.
Lower jack, adjust placement, repeat.
Mark and drill holes.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Four doorstops work like a champ. My Chieftain is very stable with this setup.

You gotta love guys who take a cheap household item and make a perfectly good replacement for something that would be outrageously expensive. And this looks good as well. My hat's off.

Reactions: Max Kool

·
Registered
77 Posts
You can buy an Indian adapter kit for your HF jack on EBay for about $60. No fuss, works great.
I have been reading a ton of messages about using jacks to lift the Chief. I have seen all the messages on the expensive jacks and how you can buy adapters that (only ) work on their specific jacks, so that is not an option. I have a Harbor freight jack that I have had for many years and it has worked perfectly to lift my Yamaha Roadstar and my wifes Suzuki M109R that I had for 18 and 11 years. While I cannot speak about the new Harbor freight jacks I can say that the one I have is very sturdy and secure.

What I am looking for is pictures of the mods that other riders have done to their jacks for lifting the chiefs. I have read of some that modified the sears jack but most of the pictures will not load (I am guessing they have been removed)?

Thank you
John

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I have jacked my Classic repeatedly with a H-F jack with absolutely no modifications to the jack or the bike. Just be careful lining it up and it works like a champ. Make sure the rubber pads are still on the jack. Slide it under the bike so that the rear lift bar is under the rear frame piece on the right side and under the gallery plug that points straight down behind the drain plugs. Slide the jack in and jack it up till the front lift bar just makes contact with the bottom of the case and make sure that it is pushed to the left so that it touches the clutch cable, then lift the bike. No issues at all. Make sure you strap it down if you're going to be wrenching on anything. Again, no modifications required, works perfectly.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can buy an Indian adapter kit for your HF jack on EBay for about $60. No fuss, works great.
Thank you, it took awhile to find the listing but I just ordered one. Its a bit expensive with shipping but it looks like all the work is done and I do not have to drill into my current HF jack and it can easily convert back to a standard jack for my wifes M109R.

JOhn

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just found a 2ton lift from Duralast that is so heavy, I don't even think about it once the bike is up. It was on sale for $69 and has a car lift adapter also, as well as a "stop" bar so that once it is extended fully, it locks and cannot be lowered. For the money it seems like a ridiculous deal. Fits under the Scout perfectly. Not sure about oil change plug access yet though - but for the money? They are practically giving them away.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just found a 2ton lift from Duralast that is so heavy, I don't even think about it once the bike is up. It was on sale for $69 and has a car lift adapter also, as well as a "stop" bar so that once it is extended fully, it locks and cannot be lowered. For the money it seems like a ridiculous deal. Fits under the Scout perfectly. Not sure about oil change plug access yet though - but for the money? They are practically giving them away.
Do you have a pic?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts