Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Looks like new! I do believe the Fiebings Saddle Tan is the way to go, very close to the original color. Only other dye that is similar, is the one from Indian of Charlotte but don't know if its oil based like the Fiebings. Waiting for winter to do mine. By the way that 303 product works great, I applied it on my leather when it was new and I do believe it helped prevent a lot of the fading.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tried doing some research and Fiebings makes a number of colors. What was the color that you used? is there a product number available that you can share?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Looks like new! I do believe the Fiebings Saddle Tan is the way to go, very close to the original color. Only other dye that is similar, is the one from Indian of Charlotte but don't know if its oil based like the Fiebings. Waiting for winter to do mine. By the way that 303 product works great, I applied it on my leather when it was new and I do believe it helped prevent a lot of the fading.
As I understand it, the 303 is a UV protectant and sealer, right? Can you still treat the leather after this? like mink oil or Fiebings Aussie and the like?

·
Registered
497 Posts
The 2014 leather was my primary reason for buying a used bike. I could have gone with a 2015, but I just don't like the looks of the 2015 leather---too vinyl looking to me. I could not be happier with the 2014 leather....takes some care a few times a year--but anything good does!

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
The 2014 leather was my primary reason for buying a used bike. I could have gone with a 2015, but I just don't like the looks of the 2015 leather---too vinyl looking to me. I could not be happier with the 2014 leather....takes some care a few times a year--but anything good does!
At the height of new Vintage owners indignation they were clamoring, no demanding that Indian do something about their faded leather. The airwaves were filled with posts telling Indian what they shouldn't have to do, as owners of a $20,000 motorcycle. They declared the whole motorcycle "defective"....faded leather was the new zit on the tip of your nose on prom night.

Indian listened (no, not to this forum), responded with an acknowledgement and apology. They went one step further and issued a re-dye kit....a free kit. Feelings were still bitter among some. The whining and sniveling went to an all new high when this re-dye kit was found to be less than effective in correcting the fading.

As all of these developments evolved and played out, someone discovered that you could actually dye your own saddlebags and correct all of the teeth gnashing. The results of these simple dye jobs began to be posted on forums and guys like me took the risk and did the simple task. The results were stunning.

The rest is history.
A one year collectors edition....like the '63 Corvette Coupe.
Killed off to appease the whining and bitching of dissatisfied owners who demanded it.

Ironic huh?
"Clacking" next?

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
At the height of new Vintage owners indignation they were clamoring, no demanding that Indian do something about their faded leather. The airwaves were filled with posts telling Indian what they shouldn't have to do, as owners of a $20,000 motorcycle. They declared the whole motorcycle "defective"....faded leather was the new zit on the tip of your nose on prom night.

Indian listened (no, not to this forum), responded with an acknowledgement and apology. They went one step further and issued a re-dye kit....a free kit. Feelings were still bitter among some. The whining and sniveling went to an all new high when this re-dye kit was found to be less than effective in correcting the fading.

As all of these developments evolved and played out, someone discovered that you could actually dye your own saddlebags and correct all of the teeth gnashing. The results of these simple dye jobs began to be posted on forums and guys like me took the risk and did the simple task. The results were stunning

Ironic huh?
"Clacking" next?
Nicely put BD!!!
At the dealership on Thursday, sales guys came out to look at the SpringField Blue Vintage with 2014 leather. A buyer came out, took one look ask Tim (salesman) how can I get that leather. (Tim speechless) I responded buy a 2014 Indian:D

Made me wonder what they did with all the old leather they exchanged out. What if it's all in a landfill some where:mad:.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Nicely put BD!!!
At the dealership on Thursday, sales guys came out to look at the SpringField Blue Vintage with 2014 leather. A buyer came out, took one look ask Tim (salesman) how can I get that leather. (Tim speechless) I responded buy a 2014 Indian:D

Made me wonder what they did with all the old leather they exchanged out. What if it's all in a landfill some where:mad:.
The way I look at it is with 1 being terrible and 10 being awesome the 2014 leather floats between 10 and 6.5 depending on where it is in the dye cycle. The 2015, to me, is about a 7.5 all the time with much less work. I live in southwest Florida with a very strong year round sun and just don't want the labor. Admitting that when the 2014 leather is maintained I like it better. Also, I like the two tone paint with 2015 leather better than no two tone with 2014 leather.
Regards,
Greg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts