Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am a new member and aspiring to buy an Indian, probably dark horse. The price in India is much bigger than USA so I don't think I can afford higher models. for eg: dark horse stock comes at approx 40K USD.

I used to have a 2004 Royal Enfield 350, I used to ride it all the time. I always wanted something bigger than 1000cc and here I am hoping to get my Indian soon.

Very happy to be a member of this forum.

Cheers!

This is my Enfield
350.jpg

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I don't know if there are harsh importation duties for motorcycles in India, but that would be likely. At any rate, you could purchase a lightly damaged bike in the USA and ship it over along with repair parts for a tiny fraction of the 40k you mention. I just bought a 2019 DH with front-end damage for just over 5k$. 1200 total miles on the bike and a straightforward relatively easy repair for a pro.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow, that seems to be great. the import duties are insane here, almost 100-150% somtimes, but I ll definitely try to see if this is possible, thanks a lot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forum! I don't know if there are harsh importation duties for motorcycles in India, but that would be likely. At any rate, you could purchase a lightly damaged bike in the USA and ship it over along with repair parts for a tiny fraction of the 40k you mention. I just bought a 2019 DH with front-end damage for just over 5k$. 1200 total miles on the bike and a straightforward relatively easy repair for a pro.
You are right, I checked copart site and there are few Indians which is selling for under 4-5K, I think I can buy it and ship it to India, which seems much better than spending 40K on new. The Import duty is an Insane 178.34% o_O

Still, it is much affordable for me.. Thanks a million. God bless you

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Be sure to get someone to inspect thoroughly before purchase. Copart does not do any critical analysis, their motivation is to garner the biggest returns for their company. All of their bikes will come with at best "Salvage" titles. These will have to be repaired and inspected to meet regulation for whatever legal jurisdiction you are going to license the bike. Check your regulations first. It may make sense to have the bike fully repaired before export. Get it connected to Digital Wrench at a dealership for pulling the Master Key Code - most of these come with no key FOB nor any ownership records. Hire a broker who includes inspection services. Some of the damages will be cosmetic only, others can render the entire bike non-repairable. Pay close attention to the nature and severity of the damages. A good inspector can help reduce your risks and make sure you get something decent for your investment. Beware twisted front-ends, but don't worry about crunched plastic or sheet-metal. Spare parts can be purchased reasonably from other dismantlers. Remember that a finished repair will only be worth a portion of book value on an undamaged one... do it for fun and for the ride, it will be difficult to justify otherwise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the great info, I was checking on regulations for import. Repairing the bike fully before import seems to be the best. The bike needs to be inspected by port authority before I can get them. I am trying to get all information I can regarding this, it seems a great thing to do (a potential business opportunity also - because there is high demand for motorcycles here). Can I PM you if i need to have some doubts cleared?. Thanks for the immense help.

·
Bronze member
1,595 Posts
Welcome from SoCal

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Welcome!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts