Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE for September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone done a Hannigan Trike conversion and had front brake shudder problems?
The front brakes still shudder when you apply even minimal braking at 40mph.
This was day one this summer so I avoid the front brakes except when going very slow and have never applied a hard brake this year

History
The first trike summer I never used the front brakes until late in the summer and then noticed the shudder.
I was told I probably picked up a piece of gravel or whatever on the pads/rotor and it was because I never used the brakes.
I thought this possible (dumb I know) so I had you do new pads/rotors and never told you why, just do em.

Second season it started again and I first noticed it after a hard brake just a few weeks into summer. I asked you about it and you said it
maybe the extra weight of the trike and a hard brake that warped the rotor. So we did new pads/rotors.

This summer it started right off with, no hard brake.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,759 Posts
As I understood (or so I thought) when a bike gets converted to a trike the installer often has to disable the ABS. This pulsating might be from the ABS still connected thinking the rear tire is slipping. Just a theory here.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I understood (or so I thought) when a bike gets converted to a trike the installer often has to disable the ABS. This pulsating might be from the ABS still connected thinking the rear tire is slipping. Just a theory here.
Hannigan says its unit works with stock ABS and my ABS is still active. I will ask my dealer about this. Thanks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does it happen every time you stop or only on more aggressive stops? Does is feel like the ABS is activating/pulsing? Are you feeling the “shudder” in the front brake lever?
It's a "very rapid pulse" and the ABS may well be activating. I don't know how to tell if this pulse is the ABS activating and it only happens when I'm above 35mph and moderately braking. Light brakes at low speed is no issue.

·
Registered
2014 Chief Vintage
1,070 Posts
I agree with @reinie … I think because of the extra weight of the trike conversion the ABS may be kicking in on the front. On my ‘14 Vintage (2 wheeler) it’s a very hard pulse when the front kicks in and gentler and more rhythmic on the back. Probably best to have someone knowledgeable about the ABS system and trikes look at it … it may need to be adjusted or that just may be how it works.

·
Bronze member
1,959 Posts
Just did new rotors/brake pads
New rotors/pads for what reason? Were you having this problem before or any other problems before? Does the skoot have the stock font wheel? What brand of rotors/pads were installed?

RACNRAY

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
New rotors/pads for what reason? Were you having this problem before or any other problems before? Does the skoot have the stock font wheel? What brand of rotors/pads were installed?

RACNRAY
full story below

just told my dealer
The front brakes still shudder when you apply even minimal braking at 40mph.
This was day one this summer so I avoid the front brakes except when going very slow and have never applied a hard brake this year

History
The first trike summer I never used the front brakes until late in the summer and then noticed the shudder.
I was told I probably picked up a piece of gravel or whatever on the pads/rotor and it was because I never used the brakes.
I thought this possible (dumb I know) so I had you do new pads/rotors and never told you why, just do em.

Second season it stared again and I first noticed it after a hard brake just a few weeks into summer. I asked you about it and you said it
maybe the extra weight of the trike and a hard brake that warped the rotor. So we did new pads/rotors.

This summer it started right off with, no hard brake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts