Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
F52FB18C-CD4F-400C-807C-1806EACA4B98.jpeg
494B2757-D71B-4E9A-9A3D-74882AE13AB3.jpeg
53A31051-FBED-472F-BA72-97FF893DA60C.jpeg
316B7B35-2492-4F01-B1F7-2FFB40B6A829.jpeg
9CB99642-BC87-4EFA-BB3E-4F1AF8CC1C90.jpeg
Now that I am on the “other” side of 70 years of age, I decided it was time for three wheels. I love my Chieftain Darkhorse, so I figured a conversion to either a trike or adding a sidecar rig were my options. Claude Stanley’s Freedom Sidecars LLC in Middleburg, PA is only 47 miles away from me. Claude has been in business for decades and does outstanding work. I picked up the completed rig at the end of March 2019, and have now had a few weeks of practice. I’ve been riding motorcycles since 1964, so I have had to completely learn how to ride all over again. It is VERY different from two wheels.

The main reason I opted for a sidecar conversion version rather than a trike is so I can take my dogs along. Training for Waylon, Fiona, and Molly Da (one at a time - they are each 90+ pound dogs) is going slowly, but we’ll soon get there!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,997 Posts
Do they have to wear a harness that can be secured to a seat belt? I have often wanted to do this should I go that route (adding a sidecar). I am concerned about the dog seeing a cat or a squirrel and jumping out after it.

·
Bronze member
1,148 Posts
Once the finances are available, I plan to have a Hannigan sidecar added to my Vintage and use Claude Stanley's facility for the install as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the Kurgo belt. Your rig looks awesome!!!

I'm impatiently awaiting a DMC Tomahawk SE for my Chieftain. Ordered on December 31st. My 3 month lead time grew to 4 and now pushing out 5 months. Wanted to take my daughter to the final Rolling Thunder rally with me, but that's not looking good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip on the Kurgo belt. Your rig looks awesome!!!

I'm impatiently awaiting a DMC Tomahawk SE for my Chieftain. Ordered on December 31st. My 3 month lead time grew to 4 and now pushing out 5 months. Wanted to take my daughter to the final Rolling Thunder rally with me, but that's not looking good.
Thanks! I love the matte black of the Darkhorse.

I originally placed the order for My Hannigan Indian Heritage Sidecar back in early October 2018. It finally arrived at Freedom Sidecars in late February, an almost five month lead time. It took another month for Claude Stanley to get around to the actual installation.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yeah, lead times suck. I’m not far from Claude, but I’m going to do the install my self. I’ve already installed the bike side mounts.

DMC has 2 great videos on YouTube of them showing how to do the install on a Chieftain. Looks pretty straight forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi,
I have a similar setup, and I’ve noticed the Wind turbulence is coming from a different angel now, I have to place my leg up against my tank to keep from getting beat up, do you know if there is a lower that I could put on to turn the wind?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts