Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It looks as though these fairing may not be available at this time as the business is up for sale and the owner has retired.

I am going to attempt to contact Jerry (the owner) to see if I can get him to build one more for my scout. I just want to share with you folks.

And if you know of other brands/styles of fairing that might work.
Please share.

I can tell you this fairing works wonderfully. As you increase your speed it seems to add downforce to the front end.. Making the bike feel more stable the faster go. It has add on hand protectors for cold weather, and optional lowers and other nice features.

These pictures are of the sport version of the Fairing on a V-Rod

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Twinhit, with out calling and talking with him I wouldn't know.. I will in the future. This link is to his website where he gives details of the business and what you get with the purchase of the business.

Hannigan Fairing

·
Registered
468 Posts
You know, that Co. would be a smart investment for a capable individual or perhaps a small group
entrepreneurial investors of like minds. To be certain, as long as there are going to be
motocyclisimos on the big road there's going to be that need for wind fairings.

Here's the thing, while I may not be personally up to doing the work, though familiar of the several processes
they are using, I definitely can see it as a lucrative business venture/career and investor's option that puts
skilled employees to work provided it is a component of a larger/broader operation, yet retains it's niche specialty.
Always room for expansion for new additional bikes.

Due to the come and go nature of bike models and styling, the fundamental models, which stick,
are going to be the bread and butter target market. - Specialty bikes and one offs are going to be the exceptions
to the rule. Harley and Triumphs would certainly fall under the B&B order. Indian Scout, and non-Chieftain+ models (ie Chiefs)
would be suitable additional bikes to consider. Another bike would be the Honda CB1100.

Starting prices of around $1,500.00 isn't bad. However, it's going to be a purchase made by someone who a) has riding experience
and knows what he/she wants, b) and is determined to keep the bike for a good space of time. c) mechanically inclined or can
afford a shop to install.

Another thing about the fairing is it's apparent common parts - (Headlamps, Marker/Turn lights and such etc.). Obviously while
the half-fairing, itself, is relatively common across the board, there are some minor differences due to diverse bike designs, then there
are the lowers, which obviously are going to be bike specific, hence, the diverse molds and tooling.
Considerations for keeping operating costs down.

Definitely looks good, but unfortunately fairings, and I think you and/or someone else made mention of it, they don't always
look so good on the bike, itself, though they may perform flawlessly aerodynamically and provide the wind protection for
the rider. So... it falls into that niche of "Not for everyone". I think..... the best fairings are usually going to be custom made
to the bike by capable perfectionist designer/fabricator who is keen on diverse materials, aerodynamics and human anatomy as well.
No different than custom made shoes. Unfortunately, the sticker price goes up a bit for such talented and skilled expertise.

At the present time, though, Indian's $500 standard cruiser shield looks to be the ultimate compromise between form, function and price.
That said, considering the smallish size of the Scout and it's particularly fluid '20s-early '40esque styling lines, the clear lexan design REALLY IS tough to top. Of course, that is my personal opinion. - The fairing profile that I designed, and that of Hannigans are both certainly in the niche territory. Hannigan's being semi-universal, mine being very, VERY, bike specific. That specific design I made, particularly the lowers, would certainly require that the owner stay very close to stock collectors. And wouldn't you know that the first thing to go on most bikes is going to be the exhaust. And who knows what direction that would be.
Another problem that I personally found as I was drawing the fairing, was the immense size of the fairing in relation to the bike.
I kept thinking to myself, I'm not so sure about this. When the lower came to be, it started coming together more pleasingly, for the
flowing lines.
The best that I think I can do, is draw up a concept sketch and submit to Hannigans or perhaps someone else, if you know of someone.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,826 Posts
Anyone that buys the company better invest in some advertising. I never heard of them. Are they affiliated with Hannigan Trike Conversations in any way? I do think a Chief with a sport fairing would be great. Harley did that with the FXRT or Sport Glide and I think it was the best bike they ever made. Unfortunately people realized that too late so they are hard to come by now since they quit making them. That concept is solid though. Indian could fill a void there. Not everyone wants a geezer glide. But many want more than an unfaired bike.

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Anyone that buys the company better invest in some advertising. I never heard of them. Are they affiliated with Hannigan Trike Conversations in any way? I do think a Chief with a sport fairing would be great. Harley did that with the FXRT or Sport Glide and I think it was the best bike they ever made. Unfortunately people realized that too late so they are hard to come by now since they quit making them. That concept is solid though. Indian could fill a void there. Not everyone wants a geezer glide. But many want more than an unfaired bike.
I'm sure you heard that the rumor was that the FXR was discontinued for 2 reasons. It's frame with the side covers reminded people of asian bikes and
customers complained, and the frame was costly to build. So HD replaced it with the Dyna. The FXR was said to be the best Handling bike of HD.

Hannigan Fairings was owned by the company that builds the side cars and trikes..
The Fairing product line was sold to the present owner. He's built them for about 15 years. I don't know what his sales numbers are or were but he had tooled up so they fit most bikes.
There are 3 different styles of fairing with bike model specific lowers.. In my ideal world Id like to see Hannigan buy back the Fairing product line and build something for the scout.
I'm sure somebody at the aftermarket companies read these message boards (forums) if the demand seemed to be there I bet someone will build it.. Maybe even Polaris, who knows.
I'd like a scout specific fairing.. One that worked well and looked as cool and in context with the scout.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'm sure you heard that the rumor was that the FXR was discontinued for 2 reasons. It's frame with the side covers reminded people of asian bikes and
customers complained, and the frame was costly to build. So HD replaced it with the Dyna. The FXR was said to be the best Handling bike of HD.

Hannigan Fairings was owned by the company that builds the side cars and trikes..
The Fairing product line was sold to the present owner. He's built them for about 15 years. I don't know what his sales numbers are or were but he had tooled up so they fit most bikes.
There are 3 different styles of fairing with bike model specific lowers.. In my ideal world Id like to see Hannigan buy back the Fairing product line and build something for the scout.
I'm sure somebody at the aftermarket companies read these message boards (forums) if the demand seemed to be there I bet someone will build it.. Maybe even Polaris, who knows.
I'd like a scout specific fairing.. One that worked well and looked as cool and in context with the scout.

I can see how it might be possible that Polaris/IMC could come out with a factory fairing not too unlike they did for the Chieftain, albeit
a different shape consistent with the Scout.

If you look at my avatar you can imagine how big that fairing is going to be. - I think by keeping the body (not refering to any
potential lowers, just the traditional upper) as small as possible and allowing for a larger clear screen, it may be bearable appearancewise.

While I wrote my last reply, I wondered about a clear shield that was modeled after some originals. - as much as I like the fairing I drew,
I am still sold on the original accessory fairing primarily due to price point. Pretty sure my idea would be pretty pricey.
- that's another consideration - how much should a fairing be priced in relation to the overall cost of the bike?
1500 isn't bad for x bike costing 10k but if it climbs to 2k+ for the same bike some head scratching starts to kick in.

Then again, I am thinking from my own perspective and bank account - others may not have a problem with higher price-points
and that's fine by me. Their bike, their money, their choice, their riding experience. Whatever makes them happy.
Some people like to get bent out of shape at a suggestion. :rolleyes:

I wonder if there could be an economy line of fairings produced by someone like Hannigan. Perhaps a whole new approach
to an older concept. - Something lighter and stiffer and cheaper to produce and still be durable and practical.

·
5,826 Posts
..........It's frame with the side covers reminded people of asian bikes and
Yep, those are the diehards and I think they will be the death of Harley or at least dethrone them. Honda hurt them when they had a manufacturing plant in America. People do want to buy American. Victory is gaining every year. Indian can if played correctly stomp them. I wish Polaris had used their finances in a different direction with the Slingshot. A Indian trike would help the open minded older riders that now only see a Tri-Glide or a Spyder as their only option. But you can't produce everything at once. Got to grow. But I can see Indian the number one American motorcycle company at some point for sure.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I found a company called Mysterydesign that makes trike kits and a tilting model that fits the 2014 Chietain looks very interesting.

·
5,826 Posts
I saw that. It does look intriguing but I don't want to give up storage. I don't see how it would work with bags. They are still an option to Hannigan though with their full independent suspension package.

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
You know, that Co. would be a smart investment for a capable individual or perhaps a small group
entrepreneurial investors of like minds. To be certain, as long as there are going to be
motocyclisimos on the big road there's going to be that need for wind fairings.

Here's the thing, while I may not be personally up to doing the work, though familiar of the several processes
they are using, I definitely can see it as a lucrative business venture/career and investor's option that puts
skilled employees to work provided it is a component of a larger/broader operation, yet retains it's niche specialty.
Always room for expansion for new additional bikes.

Due to the come and go nature of bike models and styling, the fundamental models, which stick,
are going to be the bread and butter target market. - Specialty bikes and one offs are going to be the exceptions
to the rule. Harley and Triumphs would certainly fall under the B&B order. Indian Scout, and non-Chieftain+ models (ie Chiefs)
would be suitable additional bikes to consider. Another bike would be the Honda CB1100.

Starting prices of around $1,500.00 isn't bad. However, it's going to be a purchase made by someone who a) has riding experience
and knows what he/she wants, b) and is determined to keep the bike for a good space of time. c) mechanically inclined or can
afford a shop to install.

Another thing about the fairing is it's apparent common parts - (Headlamps, Marker/Turn lights and such etc.). Obviously while
the half-fairing, itself, is relatively common across the board, there are some minor differences due to diverse bike designs, then there
are the lowers, which obviously are going to be bike specific, hence, the diverse molds and tooling.
Considerations for keeping operating costs down.

Definitely looks good, but unfortunately fairings, and I think you and/or someone else made mention of it, they don't always
look so good on the bike, itself, though they may perform flawlessly aerodynamically and provide the wind protection for
the rider. So... it falls into that niche of "Not for everyone". I think..... the best fairings are usually going to be custom made
to the bike by capable perfectionist designer/fabricator who is keen on diverse materials, aerodynamics and human anatomy as well.
No different than custom made shoes. Unfortunately, the sticker price goes up a bit for such talented and skilled expertise.

At the present time, though, Indian's $500 standard cruiser shield looks to be the ultimate compromise between form, function and price.
That said, considering the smallish size of the Scout and it's particularly fluid '20s-early '40esque styling lines, the clear lexan design REALLY IS tough to top. Of course, that is my personal opinion. - The fairing profile that I designed, and that of Hannigans are both certainly in the niche territory. Hannigan's being semi-universal, mine being very, VERY, bike specific. That specific design I made, particularly the lowers, would certainly require that the owner stay very close to stock collectors. And wouldn't you know that the first thing to go on most bikes is going to be the exhaust. And who knows what direction that would be.
Another problem that I personally found as I was drawing the fairing, was the immense size of the fairing in relation to the bike.
I kept thinking to myself, I'm not so sure about this. When the lower came to be, it started coming together more pleasingly, for the
flowing lines.
The best that I think I can do, is draw up a concept sketch and submit to Hannigans or perhaps someone else, if you know of someone.
Never heard of them - the product looks awesome - but - what is it like when an 18 wheeler rolls by you at 75/80 mph ? Buffeting sucks. As far as the OEM windshield I took my mid-height off because of excessive buffeting.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Twinhit, with out calling and talking with him I wouldn't know.. I will in the future. This link is to his website where he gives details of the business and what you get with the purchase of the business.

It looks as though these fairing may not be available at this time as the business is up for sale and the owner has retired.

I am going to attempt to contact Jerry (the owner) to see if I can get him to build one more for my scout. I just want to share with you folks.

Please share.

I can tell you this fairing works wonderfully. As you increase your speed it seems to add downforce to the front end.. Making the bike feel more stable the faster go. It has add on hand protectors for cold weather, and optional lowers and other nice features.

View attachment 3103 View attachment 3104 View attachment 3105
View attachment 3106

View attachment 3107
Hey Husky did you get a scout or are you looking for one for your road king,

·
Registered
716 Posts

Please share.

View attachment 3103 View attachment 3104 View attachment 3105
View attachment 3106

View attachment 3107
Hey Husky did you get a scout , or are you planning to use one on the road king. I only ask because your post mentioned using one on your Scout ??

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Husky did you get a scout , or are you planning to use one on the road king. I only ask because your post mentioned using one on your Scout ??
For right now I went with the CVO wind splitter.. It works great. Small, light and pretty good looking.
It cuts through the wind great at high speeds.

image.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts