Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a used scout Icon for my wife. (738miles) How can I tell if it has stock or reduced reach handlebars. Does any body have measurements? the Brake line has a lot of spare length so I'm beginning to think they already may be the reduced reach bars. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Just my 2 Cents: I think a reduced reach bar is "longer" than the regular one and therefore should have less "spare length". Just picture "reduced reach" = someone with shorter arms needs a handlebar a bit closer to him/her......maybe I'm wrong, but I'd say (if you can) go to your closest dealer and let them look at it, or send them measurements and pictures......

·
Registered
321 Posts
How tight is the clutch cable against the frame when you turn the bars fully left? Like JoyRider said, the "reduced reach" bars are for folks with shorter arms, so the hand grips are closer to the rider. I have the reduced reach bars and before replacing it with a longer one, the stock clutch cable was very tight, you could barely turn the handlebars fully left without binding or rubbing in the vicinity of where the VIN number is embossed.

If you've got a lot of spare clutch cable length then I'd say you either have the stock or the "extended reach" bars. The brake line is pretty long regardless so that's not a tell-tale sign.

Also, take a look at the edges of the bar to the inside of the control blocks (where the start/run and turn signal controls are located). The bar is necked down here to a smaller diameter to pass through the control blocks and into the grips. In my experience, the stock bars had a nice smooth edge here that looked machined, while the replacement bars have an edge that looks more messy, almost like a welded edge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts