Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible for the handlebars to become off center? Mine seem to be right of center now while riding. Based on the front end diagrams, the fork tubes go through the upper and lower tri clamp, and the handle bars are attached to the upper clamp, so it doesn't seem like the handlebars can be unaligned with the front wheel.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
If your rear end is out of alignment it can make the bike 'catwalk' and the bars look and feel out of place.
Kind of like the rear of the bike is trying to pass you feel!

·
10,005 Posts
What RB said and also the bars can slide to one side if they are not clamped down securely.
The bars are put on at the dealer during set up....usually by the gopher in the mechanic dept.
Low pay, hurry up and get it done, plus or minus 6 inches precision attitude.

·
10,005 Posts
Yep, it is hard for these kids to put their cell phones down and use both hands to work!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your rear end is out of alignment it can make the bike 'catwalk' and the bars look and feel out of place.
Kind of like the rear of the bike is trying to pass you feel!
I haven't changed my front tire or forks yet, but is there adjustment between the forks and the wheel when you put it the wheel back on? (How do you know you're square?)

·
Bronze member
1,794 Posts
I haven't changed my front tire or forks yet, but is there adjustment between the forks and the wheel when you put it the wheel back on? (How do you know you're square?)
Forks even at the top where are the fork caps are.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The fork tubes can be turned in the triple clamps. Happens frequently to dirt riders when they crash. In that case, you put the front wheel between your knees and crank the bars back straight (enough). Make sure your triple trees are correctly torqued. Use a tape measure (or a piece of string) and measure to a good reference point on the frame, like the top shock bolts. Compare the same place on each side of the bike. Check to the bar ends first and get them the same. Then check the distance to the front axle - if it's not the same on both sides, the forks are twisted in the triple trees. Loosen the clamp bolts and do the front wheel between the knees, pull on the handlebars thing until they are straight. Has to be really bad before it's a safety issue.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
had that feeling yrs ago on a 13 ultra. took bike in at time the mechanic on duty was a real winner. later about a month changed back tire an all was good.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don’t know about Indian as my Scout 60 is the first Indian I’ve owned, but I know Triumphs (I’ve owned about about every model over the years) have an alignment mark so there’s no way to screw up the install on the bars.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I loosened up the the tri clamps and realigned the tire. All is good.

I'm getting close to doing the fork oil service and read the procedure/watched a video...I'm surprised neither go through the alignment process as mentioned by ButterSmooth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts