Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2014 Indian Chief Classic. I absolutely love the bike. However, I am not a big fan of the handlebars are grips. Handlebars seem a little too far and the grips are very uncomfortable. Does anyone have recommendations and/or pics of handlebars they switched too? Also, same for grips? So far I have added front and rear highway bars, heel shifter, saddlebags, and a Voodoo high performance air cleaner (I also did PV3 tune and punched out plugs in exhaust). I feel different handlebars and grips would make the bike even better!

·
Bronze member
2,223 Posts
Avon has different grips.
They are comfortable for the hands.
Put a set on Indian 16" hangers :

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
4,987 Posts
Have you tried pulling up your bars?

I went with these Arlen Ness 10 gauge grips. IMHO, the lines are sorta art deco and go well with the big fender look. Arlen does shit right. Notice how the center line of the grip lines up perfectly with the seam of the switch housing. That's quality right there!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Avon has different grips.
They are comfortable for the hands.
Put a set on Indian 16" hangers :

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk
Would the 16” hangers come closer to the rider? I can reach the stock handlebars just fine. However, I would like more of a bend in my arm. So even if they were like an inch closer, I think they would be fine. BTW, I love the grips.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried pulling up your bars?

I went with these Arlen Ness 10 gauge grips. IMHO, the lines are sorta art deco and go well with the big fender look. Arlen does shit right. Notice how the center line of the grip lines up perfectly with the seam of the switch housing. That's quality right there!
View attachment 600703 View attachment 600704
I have not tried messing with my handlebars yet. However, I have thought about it to see if I could adjust them to be a little bit closer.
Those grips are nice and they do line up perfectly. I am gonna check them out!

·
Silver member
4,987 Posts
You just barely loosen the 4 allen heads under the nacelle and pull/Tug them up. The will go up around 2" total before they hit the pin stop. That was a new thing for me. Never had bars with that before. It's been nearly three years, but you need a rachet, metric allen socket, 6 or 8 I forget, and a swivel. And as always put a blanket over your fender and tank and protect your chrome bits as needed.

Then you loosen your housings and adjust them so your clutch and brake side are straight out from your hands in the pull position. It was pretty easy. I did the grips and the change in bar height in less than an hour. And of course I messed around for 15 minutes trying out pulling them up 1/2" to the 2" pin stop point. And another 15 minutes figuring out which swivel and extension I needed to reach the bolt heads easily...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You just barely loosen the 4 allen heads under the nacelle and pull/Tug them up. The will go up around 2" total before they hit the pin stop. That was a new thing for me. Never had bars with that before. It's been nearly three years, but you need a rachet, metric allen socket, 6 or 8 I forget, and a swivel. And as always put a blanket over your fender and tank and protect your chrome bits as needed.

Then you loosen your housings and adjust them so your clutch and brake side are straight out from your hands in the pull position. It was pretty easy. I did the grips and the change in bar height in less than an hour. And of course I messed around for 15 minutes trying out pulling them up 1/2" to the 2" pin stop point. And another 15 minutes figuring out which swivel and extension I needed to reach the bolt heads easily...
Thank you for this information! It is very helpful.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I watched a video were it shows remover 4 side bolts (2 on each side) and 2 bolts up top to disconnect the nacelle and lay on front fender in order to get to the handles. I am unsure of what 4 Allen heads you are referring too. Is it possible for you to post a pic of the bolts you mentioned? At your convenience of course? What you mentioned, seems like a better way of doing it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts