Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Handlebar replacement/service headache

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Cuz 
#1 ·

I own a 2020 Indian scout bobber 60. I wanted to upgrade my handlebars to 10 inch mini ape hangers. Took the bike to an Indian dealer. They install the new handlebars but could not complete the job. Because the brake lights are not functioning.
The service manager is questioning if I bought the bike used or has anyone tinkered with the electronics.
He said the tech found wiring that is not supposed to be there.

I bought the bike brand new with 2 miles on it. Service the bike twice for the 500 mile oil change and re-calibrated the computer. When I installed an Indian performance airbox and slip-ons.

It's going to be three weeks since I dropped off the bike at the dealer. The service manager can't give me an answer when the bike is going to be ready.

This is my first motorcycle. So I'm not sure this is typical. Especially since this is the busy season this time of year. When I bring a car for service I usually get it within a day or two.
Am I being impatient?

This is the first time I'm at this particular Indian dealer.
The one that's close to my home is super busy. Earliest appointment with them would've been at least a month.

Does anybody have any advice on how to handle this situation?
Thanks for any replies.

See less See more
#8 ·
Sounds like someone at this dealer is not telling the truth. Did you not buy the bike from a local dealer?
It's such a shame...so many service departments suck.
No, I bought the bike from a dealer far away from me. They were the only ones that had that bike in stock at that time.
I wish that dealership was close to my house. I really like the people there.

Now the dealer that's close to my house I don't like. It's one of those dealerships with multiple brands. So it's always a madhouse when I go there. I try to make an appointment with them but they were booked up for the next six weeks.

I'm on day 22 without the bike. So frustrating/aggravating!

#6 ·
From a guy thathas changed a number of bars---and then had to do it a second time (takes a big man to confess making the same error multiple times) I am sure it is the front brake switch that got out of whack in the switch. Harleys were the worst to get everything in place before tightening every up in perfect alignment.

#9 ·
I'm assuming the same thing.
I didn't say anything to them because they're the experts.

The service manager now says the tech is ordering a new ECU.
I highly doubt it's the ECU.
I think the service manager is just BSing me.

I contacted a lemon law lawyer. I have a good case.

It's been out of service for at least 21 days.
The service manager can't tell me why the brake lights don't function.
And they can't tell me when the bike will be ready.

Depending how this plays out I think I'm going to upgrade to a Harley Davidson Street Bob, lowrider S, or a Indian chief.
The Chief would've been the first one on my list. But since I can't get my bobber serviced, I don't know why would I get another Indian.

#10 ·
The Dealer service mgr is a Schmuck and it sounds like the service manager is covering it up like a cat covering up crap in a litter pan!
I would continue with the Lawyer and or try polaris customer service but if there is nothing close to you other then that only dealer service If it was me I think I would change out the Bike Mfr.
Im thinking for a brand like Indian thats trying to build a good reputation and become popular in the market will never get there with BS like this going round and round.

#11 ·
The latest update, I got the bike back.

It's not 100% fixed. The brake lights are functioning now. But the problem is the ABS light is on in the speedometer.

I have the non-ABS edition of the Indian scout bobber 60. The service manager told me they're waiting on another part to correct the problem. I can still use my bike in the meantime.

You would think in this day and age that a problem like this will be easily corrected.

One more thing, the 10 inch mini ape hanger handlebars are great.
So much more comfortable than the stock handlebars

#13 ·
The dealership is Indians motorcycle of White Plains, New York.
I just want to say I'm not bad mouthing the dealership. They have a lot of good reviews online. The service manager was respectful and professional.

The problem is they couldn't pinpoint the non-functioning brake light issue.

Also they could not give me an estimate on when the bike repair will be finish.

Three weeks is a lot of time to lose in a riding season.

#14 ·
View attachment 637357
I own a 2020 Indian scout bobber 60. I wanted to upgrade my handlebars to 10 inch mini ape hangers. Took the bike to an Indian dealer. They install the new handlebars but could not complete the job. Because the brake lights are not functioning.
The service manager is questioning if I bought the bike used or has anyone tinkered with the electronics.
He said the tech found wiring that is not supposed to be there.

I bought the bike brand new with 2 miles on it. Service the bike twice for the 500 mile oil change and re-calibrated the computer. When I installed an Indian performance airbox and slip-ons.

It's going to be three weeks since I dropped off the bike at the dealer. The service manager can't give me an answer when the bike is going to be ready.

This is my first motorcycle. So I'm not sure this is typical. Especially since this is the busy season this time of year. When I bring a car for service I usually get it within a day or two.
Am I being impatient?

This is the first time I'm at this particular Indian dealer.
The one that's close to my home is super busy. Earliest appointment with them would've been at least a month.

Does anybody have any advice on how to handle this situation?
Thanks for any replies.
Talk with the salesman you purchased thru and the Service Manager, they should put in correct parts to fix the bike. If you did have someone else attempt the job first, admit that. If not, then HOLD You Ground for Them to fix since they started the job. And that should be PROMPTLY Started!

#15 ·
They finally fix the ABS light. By doing so they replace the speedometer gauge. Now the new issue is, it reset the Mileage down to zero. I feel like this diminishes the value of the motorcycle.
Prospective buyers will assume the mileage is fraudulent when I go to resell it.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.