Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone modified their existing handlebars or swapped them out for something different? I'm thinking of going for a bit narrower look and feel. I'd like to see photos of different styles. Thanks.

·
Founding member
950 Posts
I had the beach bars installed. Don't believe they are wider than stock more swept back. The wiring going through the bars is unique to Indian[I think] Looked on line came up with nothing. Makes our choices very limited. Unless you get HD bars to work.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
I find the stock bars on my Vintage perfect,,,,

·
Registered
716 Posts
There are some aftermarket 1 1/4 bars that have been on the market for years, and a few have been set up for internal wiring. Having a senior moment right know and can't remember any of the names. There are quite a few on eBay. I would personally like to come up with some mini apes for mine

·
Bronze member
2,565 Posts
Beach bars for me on day one. I consider them my favorite accessory. I like the feel of the bike much better. My Classic looks better with them IMO. They capture that old Indian look much better.

·
Bronze member
2,565 Posts
I could not agree more.
And even better, the bars are stainless steel not chromed metal. Most on the time when I buy something from Indian I know I spent too much. $200.00 for these is $200.00 well spent.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I would love to hear from anyone whose wrists/hands suffered over long distance with the standard bars and if it was cured by fitting beach bars. I agree that they look better,but can only justify a (very expensive in the UK) change if they are a lot more comfortable AND don't effect the handling or manoeuvrability. After 200/250 mile days, the discomfort is profound. Anyone? Enzo - thanks for the opportunity to jump on board.

·
Bronze member
2,565 Posts
I have not been on a long ride yet but the beach bars to me allow your hands to be in a more comfortable or neutral riding position. As I mentioned, it's a no brainer as far as I am concerned.
The other day I was in the Indian dealer and I sat on a new Indian. I was surprised how awkward the stock bars felt.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have not been on a long ride yet but the beach bars to me allow your hands to be in a more comfortable or neutral riding position. As I mentioned, it's a no brainer as far as I am concerned.
The other day I was in the Indian dealer and I sat on a new Indian. I was surprised how awkward the stock bars felt.
Thank you sir. Good start.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I just talked to my dealer (boise Idaho) he said he can get apes for the vintage chrome ones,I ordered a set we will see. will let you know
Sasquatch, I'd be interested to know how it turns out. Let us all know.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I put the pullback bars on mine and I regret it. They're either wider than the 2015 bars or the angle is different at the grip end but they kill my shoulders. Next time I take my bike in for service I'll have the original bars put back on.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I had a set of beach bars put on mine at purchase and love them. Their not as wide as I was used to on my 2000 Indians but I like them a lot more then the stock bars I rode on the demo's. After 8,000 miles I haven't had any issues with being comfortable.

·
Bronze member
2,565 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
I would love to hear from anyone whose wrists/hands suffered over long distance with the standard bars and if it was cured by fitting beach bars. I agree that they look better,but can only justify a (very expensive in the UK) change if they are a lot more comfortable AND don't effect the handling or manoeuvrability. After 200/250 mile days, the discomfort is profound. Anyone? Enzo - thanks for the opportunity to jump on board.
Depending on the length of your arms, they can effect the handling and/or maneuverability. I have stock width bars on my Classic and if I do a lock to lock type turn, or a sharp nearly locked low speed turn, my arms and hands are maxed out on the high side. I'm about 5' 7". There is no doubt I would be holding on with my finger tips trying this with beach bars. Something to consider...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts