Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ... Another plan down. I wanted to install some heated grips, hoping the throttle sleeve could be separated from the right grip. A tech at work showed me the throttle grip when he was doing a bar swap. Not only is the Indian TBW sleeve a proprietary design (obviously), it is molded directly into the grip. Going to go with some Grab On grip covers and wait for the aftermarket to catch on :(

·
Registered
656 Posts
They really are making it tough for us to use aftermarket stuff on this bike aren't they!!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh well .... Items will come eventually..............

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Well ... Another plan down. I wanted to install some heated grips, hoping the throttle sleeve could be separated from the right grip. A tech at work showed me the throttle grip when he was doing a bar swap. Not only is the Indian TBW sleeve a proprietary design (obviously), it is molded directly into the grip. Going to go with some Grab On grip covers and wait for the aftermarket to catch on :(
Troop are you saying that the grips can't be changed out for different grips because it is molded to the sleeve and not a separate part?
So if our grips or a grip gets damaged we have to buy a whole new sleeve/grip unit instead of just a cover?
That is a real bummer for a motorcycle that is prone to fall over because of a design flaw in the kickstand! :(:confused:
This could really get expensive! :mad:
And to top it off the case savers are not even on the immediate radar!

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your first question is correct, they are one piece. If the kickstand fails, the bike will fall over to left side. That grip is about $25. The msrp of the throttle grip/sleeve is $30 so not too stupid price.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Your first question is correct, they are one piece. If the kickstand fails, the bike will fall over to left side. That grip is about $25. The msrp of the throttle grip/sleeve is $30 so not too stupid price.
Thanks Troop your an absolute gold mine of information for us loners out here in Texas! (Got my windscreen yesterday) :D

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have been considering getting a new throttle in general because of the drop down from 1" to 7/8" (why did they do that?!). It is frustrating that the bars are proprietary. Is it because they are going to come out with a full line of proprietary bars? Polaris is usually forward thinking when it comes to circumventing the aftermarket.

I might have a line on a few sets of handle bars and was going to get the 7/8" and then get some shims for the clamps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts