Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought a handlebar bag for my new Vintage. I’ve only tried it without the windshield but I don’t like it.

It funnels all the wind up into my throat and it’s choppy and unpleasant. Plus my ears felt like they were being exposed to loud low frequencies even though I didn’t actually hear them. Like noise that’s too low to hear but bothers the ears anyway. I wasn’t sure if it was the new bag or just the weather. So I came home, removed the bag, and went right back out on the same roads. Ah that nice mellow character of the Vintage was back.

Maybe it’s better behind a windshield. Although I searched it and some people complained about turbulence that way, too. Guess I should’ve searched the topic before buying but...

Anyway, I’m just venting. Maybe if somebody after me is smart enough to search before buying (unlike me), they’ll find this helpful.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I keep my windshield on at all times. My bag is smooshed between the ape bars. No wind issues. The few times I took it off (Windshield) also found wind sucked but never associated it with the bag so you might be on to something here.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well Polaris is refunding my money even though they know I’ve used it once. That makes me feel good about the company I just bought an expensive bike from. The price of their accessories is bonkers but they stand behind them so that’s worth a lot.

·
Bronze member
1,227 Posts
Say Mt Troska was it the magnetic handle bar bag or the popper one. If its the popper one i found the coast wind blew it open/Put some small bungees around it. Its top of the replacement list to try the magnetic handle bar bag/

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It fastens closed with Velcro and snaps. But it’s not popping open. It just interferes with the airflow. I read in another thread that low wind deflectors help. But that’s getting into a costly experiment for a little bag.

·
Bronze member
1,227 Posts
It fastens closed with Velcro and snaps. But it’s not popping open. It just interferes with the airflow. I read in another thread that low wind deflectors help. But that’s getting into a costly experiment for a little bag.
These might improve the airflow around the helmet

Attachments

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
The real problem I have is that the bag forces air up onto the windshield and the dust in the air starts etching lines onto the windshield in the shape of the outline of the bag. I've had this happen to two different shields. Does anyone else experience this.

·
Bronze member
1,227 Posts
The real problem I have is that the bag forces air up onto the windshield and the dust in the air starts etching lines onto the windshield in the shape of the outline of the bag. I've had this happen to two different shields. Does anyone else experience this.
I’ve not noticed I wear sunglasses tinted and on freeway and helmet with visor. I wear a head over to keep draft /side winds out.

·
Super Moderator
5,868 Posts
Had mine for almost 5 years. No wind erosion on my shield. Do you have anything below the handlebars - engine guard wraps, mud flaps, etc.?

·
Bronze member
1,227 Posts
I do notice if I start sneezing That the gas cap is sometimes loose as I smell the fumes.

Reactions: boynton6spd

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Had mine for almost 5 years. No wind erosion on my shield. Do you have anything below the handlebars - engine guard wraps, mud flaps, etc.?
No, that'st the thing. Just a standard windhield on a vintage. I live in a desert. What I am thinking is that sand, very fine sand, is projected up and the dust accumulates on the inside of the windshield making a faint and then deepening outline of the top of the bag. I've polished it out many times and it always reappears. Honestly, I can't figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
5,868 Posts
No, that'st the thing. Just a standard windhield on a vintage. I live in a desert. What I am thinking is that sand, very fine sand, is projected up and the dust accumulates on the inside of the windshield making a faint and then deepening outline of the top of the bag. I've polished it out many times and it always reappears. Honestly, I can't figure it out.
Sounds very alien. You live near Roswell? (Sorry, couldn't resist)

·
Bronze member
1,227 Posts

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I bought one for my 2016 Vintage and absolutely loved it. Lots of storage that's easy to get to. Mostly had the windshield on, but not always, and never noticed any issues.

·
Founding Member
679 Posts
Yes, I have done this to two shields also. I just thought it was from opening the bag and hitting the windshield with it - Dan

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
BTW, I live in humid Ohio. I've just learned to live with it. No one else seems to notice the marks - Dan
There must be an answer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
noticed this on mine at freeway speeds. But most of my choppy wind seems to come from the chilli at the local diner.😁

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
My Road King would slice thru the wind going down the highway, little to no turbulence or "choppy" going on. Turbulence and or "choppy" is much more pronounced whilst riding my Vintage on the highway. Both bikes with windshields only, and both with the bags. I wonder if the Vintage chop might have something to do with the valance front fender... life is full of little mysteries.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have a 14 Vintage with the windshield bag and have the marks on the windshield. I assume it is from opening the bag. I also have the Indian fork wind deflectors and those hot rid of the buffeting that I was experiencing. If I had it to do over I would buy the chrome ones from Kuryakan. I think they blend in a little better.
I think I have ridden one time without the windshield so I can’t comment on what it feels like not using the shield.

Rawhide

Rawhide

1 - 20 of 20 Posts