Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put new bars on my bobber and ran the wires internally. I took the pins out of the connectors so I can feed the wires. Put everything back together and now the bike won’t start. Here’s are pictures I took of the connectors. What am I missing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
Probably something not making a good connection or wired wrong. Give us some more details about what is happening, you say it will not start but what exactly do you mean? No power with the key on, engine does not turn over or the engine turns over with the starter but does not run? This can help zero in on what connection to look at.

·
Registered
2019 Scout Bobber Icon ABS
86 Posts
Here are my pics. It was tricky orienting the plastic connector. Try to leave the connector only one way, don't flip upside-down. Here are my pics.

Attachments

·
Bronze member
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably something not making a good connection or wired wrong. Give us some more details about what is happening, you say it will not start but what exactly do you mean? No power with the key on, engine does not turn over or the engine turns over with the starter but does not run? This can help zero in on what connection to look at.
I have power, fuel pump turns on I hit the starter button and nothing.

·
Bronze member
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What year is your bike? I have a shop manual and will check and seeing I can find the most likely error in the wiring.
18 bobber. Here’s how I re pinned the connectors

I also have a shop manual but what was in the book didn’t match the wire colors on my bike. I could have looked up the wrong one. I used page 10.73 diagram.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Can you show a picture of the plug that goes to the right control? Not the connection for the throttle wires just the switches. It should be a 6 pin connection.

·
Registered
223 Posts
First thing is the schematic on 10.73 is just for the throttle. I’m trying to use your pictures to check the drawing but it tough. The schematic you need to follow is the ones in the back of the book and start with the right hand controls . I think you have a wire swapped for the start button. I think I see a few wires in the wrong positions but I can’t sort it out . I just can’t make out all of the colors and locations in your pictures. Sorry I can’t help more.

·
Bronze member
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First thing is the schematic on 10.73 is just for the throttle. I’m trying to use your pictures to check the drawing but it tough. The schematic you need to follow is the ones in the back of the book and start with the right hand controls . I think you have a wire swapped for the start button. I think I see a few wires in the wrong positions but I can’t sort it out . I just can’t make out all of the colors and locations in your pictures. Sorry I can’t help more.
No worries thanks for the info, that was plenty helpful.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I should check my manual before I say this, but the other side that the molex plug goes into. Shouldn’t those wires be the same matching color, if not that’s kinda poor engineering.
Also, I did home appliance repair for a short time, and there was a Frigidaire washing machine that was known to have two molex plugs underneath, the pins in the female end would stretch out and lose contact over time. You had to unpin them, and take a small screw driver and close them up a bit to be tighter then reassemble. (Don’t know if this would apply though, as it would take a few years for them to work lose.)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Check to see the female colour matches the male colour on the other side of the plug.
If you miss matching that’s where the problem will be.

·
Bronze member
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I should check my manual before I say this, but the other side that the molex plug goes into. Shouldn’t those wires be the same matching color, if not that’s kinda poor engineering.
Also, I did home appliance repair for a short time, and there was a Frigidaire washing machine that was known to have two molex plugs underneath, the pins in the female end would stretch out and lose contact over time. You had to unpin them, and take a small screw driver and close them up a bit to be tighter then reassemble. (Don’t know if this would apply though, as it would take a few years for them to work lose.)
I thought it would but they don’t seem to be. I could be wrong though. When I get frustrated I tend to miss the obvious. I need to step away to see the full picture sometime. I’ll take another look when I get home from work. Thanks bro/sis.

·
Bronze member
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Check to see the female colour matches the male colour on the other side of the plug.
If you miss matching that’s where the problem will be.

I don’t think they all match. I remember thinking to myself that Polaris might have gotten a deal on wire lol. I could be wrong though, when I get frustrated I tend to miss the obvious. I’ll take another look when I get home from work.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ok, I ran through my manual and I believe your 10 pin connector is correct. I think you have the pink and black/white backwards though on the 6 pin. It also shows 3 black/white wires on the 6 pin but they all go to the same place. It’s hard to tell from the pics though. According to my manual which is just for scout, (not bobber) the wire colors should match where they go. But who knows they may have changed it.

·
Bronze member
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I ran through my manual and I believe your 10 pin connector is correct. I think you have the pink and black/white backwards though on the 6 pin. It also shows 3 black/white wires on the 6 pin but they all go to the same place. It’s hard to tell from the pics though. According to my manual which is just for scout, (not bobber) the wire colors should match where they go. But who knows they may have changed it.
I’ll look at it when I get home. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
How do your bars look now that you've run the wiring internally? Do you have mini-apes fitted?

Also, where in this thread do we get to talk about building a new drinking spot for classical composers? 🤣🎼🎹

·
Bronze member
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How do your bars look now that you've run the wiring internally? Do you have mini-apes fitted?

Also, where in this thread do we get to talk about building a new drinking spot for classical composers?

View attachment 616068
Lol I didn’t realize I misspelled it, kind of embarrassing. The bars I got aren’t mini apes, I got dean speed lowballs.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Dumb question Don’t laugh
1. Kill switch is not off is it—or maybe backwards
2.did you disconnect the battery? Maybe a blown fuse during the process.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts