Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched Forums and can not find what I am looking for ,so here goes
I have 300 miles on my new RM, the handle bars seem a bit of a reach for me, I am 6'1 and with a tall body,so am reaching down. I see the slots in the fairing would allow the bars to rotate up about an 3/4 inch or so, appears to be only one allen bolt per bar clamp under the fairing,Has any one loosened these up and rotated the bars, if so can they be reached with the fairing on and from the tank side? I assume there is a torque spec to re-tighten. Any thoughts?
Thanks
R2M

·
544 Posts
I have searched Forums and can not find what I am looking for ,so here goes
I have 300 miles on my new RM, the handle bars seem a bit of a reach for me, I am 6'1 and with a tall body,so am reaching down. I see the slots in the fairing would allow the bars to rotate up about an 3/4 inch or so, appears to be only one allen bolt per bar clamp under the fairing,Has any one loosened these up and rotated the bars, if so can they be reached with the fairing on and from the tank side? I assume there is a torque spec to re-tighten. Any thoughts?
Thanks
R2M
Have you looked at the pullback bars? I'm 6'2" and like you the reach was a little uncomfortable using the stock bars. The pullback bars made the reach a lot more comfortable (pushed the bars back and slightly up) and I'm glad I made the switch. That's an option to consider if the upward adjustment On the stock bars doesn't work.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I had to move my bars up.
I think there is 4 bolts. But, I know you can get by with just 2. As I did.
If I remember right it's 16 or 18 ft. lbs.

I did write in, on this forum to which I was trying to find out what a wire hanger was. It turns out it is for the clutch cable.

·
Bronze member
2,565 Posts
Have you looked at the pullback bars? I'm 6'2" and like you the reach was a little uncomfortable using the stock bars. The pullback bars made the reach a lot more comfortable (pushed the bars back and slightly up) and I'm glad I made the switch. That's an option to consider if the upward adjustment On the stock bars doesn't work.
Don't they reduce the reach rather than extend it?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I would like to rotate mine up a bit too but there doesn't appear to be any room.
There is a small gap between the top of the bar and the place where it exits from under the fairing.
That gap is the only wiggle room, right?

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I would like to rotate mine up a bit too but there doesn't appear to be any room.
There is a small gap between the top of the bar and the place where it exits from under the fairing.

Am I missing something?
Nope, your right.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Am I missing something?
I actually have 1" between the top of the bar and the top of the cut out,looks like I can rotate a least 3/4' or so

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually have 1" between the top of the bar and the top of the cut out,looks like I can rotate a least 3/4' or so
I had to move my bars up.
I think there is 4 bolts. But, I know you can get by with just 2. As I did.
If I remember right it's 16 or 18 ft. lbs.

I
I can't get a ratchet in from the tank side, there is a sheet metal brace right above the clamps,how did you manage?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I moved the handle bar left to right to loosen and then tighten.
There was no sheet metal in the way on mine.
I think I used an extension thou.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having them installed this week..Thanks!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Long piece of solid wood and a hammer! Few good taps....ha.

In all seriousness, if you are considering a handlebar swap, just get to know your bike And do it yourself. This is my first one with internal wires, long as you mark your lines, so easy. Just takes some time and the nacelle is s bit tricky due to weight and wanting to hit the forks if let go.

Save yourself the 150-200 they will charge you for bars, learn and do it yourself. Well worth it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Be careful to leave enough room between the fairing and the bars. I pushed mine up until they were almost touching and had to move them back down a bit as they were hitting the fairing due to vibration. You need to leave at least 1/4 inch.

Reactions: Roadie

·
Rider
1,107 Posts
Are these pullback bars an Indian accessory or are they aftermarket..??

Where are they available at..?

Thanks,
Gordon

·
544 Posts
Are these pullback bars an Indian accessory or are they aftermarket..??

Where are they available at..?

Thanks,
Gordon
The pull back bars that I installed are made by Indian. I'm at 6000 miles now and can say they fit me good.....no back or shoulder pain even on longer rides.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts